Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB cancelled direct debit to credit card. Now credit rating revoked.

Options
  • 26-09-2020 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭

A bit annoyed this evening to say the least!
    I've had my credit rating revoked over a direct debit that AIB cancelled and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to rectify?
    I've had an AIB credit card for 18 years.
    It was always paid in full by monthly direct debit from my AIB current account.
    Over the past few years I had used it less and less (indeed the were no transactions at one point for 14 months.
    Last December I was paying for a car service and used the credit card, as for some reason I didn't have the debit card with me.
    I didn't think any more about it as I assumed the direct debit would pay it off again at the end of the month as it did for the previous 18 years.

Then this summer I received a letter from AIB telling me the credit card was in arrears. This puzzled me and I went searching for previous statements. I then found a letter from AIB from last December stating that they were cancelling direct debits that where there were zero amounts being debited for a specific period.
    I hindsight this applied to the credit card which I hadnt been using - however I didn't realise this at the time.
    As soon as I realised what happened I paid off the amount due in full. However I now have a revoked credit status on my credit report as a result.

TLDR - AIB cancelled a direct debit to my credit card without my written consent.
    They then revoked my credit rating after 3 months because of a piddly €145. (There was lots of money to cover it in the current account).

Have I any means to appeal this with the bank or is this just on my credit score for the next 5 years regardless?

Also - I never knew a bank could cancel a direct debit like that without you asking them to - is that a new thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Delta2113

'You found a letter from AIB in which stated that they were cancelling direct debits that where there were zero amounts'.

Sorry but your at fault over what happened.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Neddyusa wrote: »
    TLDR - AIB cancelled a direct debit to my credit card without my written consent.
    They then revoked my credit rating after 3 months because of a piddly €145. (There was lots of money to cover it in the current account).

Have I any means to appeal this with the bank or is this just on my credit score for the next 5 years regardless?

Also - I never knew a bank could cancel a direct debit like that without you asking them to - is that a new thing?

There is a raft of legislation covering your relationship with financial institutions such as AIB. But it is based on the assumption that you as an adult, without impediments, will take the time to acquaint yourself with the terms and conditions of the contracts you enter into and follow up on the correspondence you receive.

Clearly you have not done this. And complaining about AIB because they stuck to the contract they made with you is not going to get you very far. Talk to the bank and see if there is anything they can do and are willing to do for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Water2626262

Neddyusa wrote: »
    A bit annoyed this evening to say the least!
    I've had my credit rating revoked over a direct debit that AIB cancelled and I'm wondering if anyone has any advice to rectify?
    I've had an AIB credit card for 18 years.
    It was always paid in full by monthly direct debit from my AIB current account.
    Over the past few years I had used it less and less (indeed the were no transactions at one point for 14 months.
    Last December I was paying for a car service and used the credit card, as for some reason I didn't have the debit card with me.
    I didn't think any more about it as I assumed the direct debit would pay it off again at the end of the month as it did for the previous 18 years.

Then this summer I received a letter from AIB telling me the credit card was in arrears. This puzzled me and I went searching for previous statements. I then found a letter from AIB from last December stating that they were cancelling direct debits that where there were zero amounts being debited for a specific period.
    I hindsight this applied to the credit card which I hadnt been using - however I didn't realise this at the time.
    As soon as I realised what happened I paid off the amount due in full. However I now have a revoked credit status on my credit report as a result.

Have you appealed this to the bank? Sounds like you have a good track record. I’d even go to the branch in person and state that you are an AIB customer of x years, never missed a payment and in this age of paperless billing you missed this letter regarding direct debits. Ask them to amend your credit rating. Don’t blow your lid but be direct and keep repeating the main points. The staff will surely see the logic and the unfairness of this.

I’d be shocked if they don’t rectify this. Even send a letter to the CEO if the branch or customer service are no use. If this doesn’t get resolved (which I doubt it won’t), a revoked credit card isn’t a big deal if you’ve a good enough profile. An explanation of what happened would suffice for another credit institution.

Advertisement