Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

• 25-06-2020 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,583 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Old Thread here: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058044214&page=247

Previous mod notes below still in play.
    DM_7 wrote: »
    Mod Note: okay folks please remember to be civil and engage with the topic instead of dismissive posts.

Posts that generalise views as 'bumwaffle' or 'crazy' or simplify an argument to be ONLY based on one thing are not helpful.

People don't have to agree with others, don't have to engage with other posters in a direct way but they are expected to be civil. Commentary like the above does nothing to add to the debate and could be viewed as threadspoiling (see the charter).
    Trigger wrote: »
    Mod: folks, just a reminder of the previous mod note. If you have a problem with a post please report, and any more posts attacking the poster instead of the post will be met by Cards. Final warning.
    Mod Notes: Some people and civil.

Stop with the some people type posts. Give your opinion, put forward something about the club or engage with a poster who has done so. Some people type summaries trying to group posters derails the thread.

Be civil and make an effort to respond to content of a post, the expectations, when in engaging with others, are in the charter if anyone needs a reminder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Fair play to Liverpool, it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Woke Hogan wrote: »

This is the Utd thread. Stick to the topic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Here's hoping for 15 from 15.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Maybe, but say it somewhere else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

Being a gracious loser is more of a virtue than being a bad winner.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The momentum swing in the last 7 years has been pretty shocking to watch unfold, obviously losing Fergie was massive but we are almost a decade on at this point there’s no excuse now to still be where we are.

We’ve just been getting almost everything wrong for years whilst they’ve been getting almost everything right and now one team is competing and winning major trophies with some regularity and the other is struggling to get into the top 4.

°°°°°

The momentum swing in the last 7 years has been pretty shocking to watch unfold, obviously losing Fergie was massive but we are almost a decade on at this point there’s no excuse now to still be where we are.

We’ve just been getting almost everything wrong for years whilst they’ve been getting almost everything right and now one team is competing and winning major trophies with some regularity and the other is struggling to get into the top 4.

They changed their culture, got rid of bad owners and stopped the rot, we would do well to learn from them.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Great performance. I hope we can look at what they've done and learn from it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

I remember their last title win as well as our first( premier league)
    Nobody thought it would take 30 years for them to win another.
    The lesson to learn is to not let time slip by, presuming things will just come good. But to throw everything at getting back the top spot as fast as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

You can be bitter all you want. Or you can learn from others around you.

I'd rather the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Gary Neville is taking it well.

e6g229tqh4751.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

GSPfan wrote: »

PL Champions*

* With 7 games to spare.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Mod Reminder: This is the Manchester United Thread, posts on this thread should relate to Manchester United .

Within reason, of course if someone on here has a baby or something we can go a bit off topic, otherwise lets talk about Manchester United please

°°°°°

I remember their last title win as well as our first( premier league)
    Nobody thought it would take 30 years for them to win another.
    The lesson to learn is to not let time slip by, presuming things will just come good. But to throw everything at getting back the top spot as fast as possible.

Liverpool got it wrong for so long it beggars belief. They took a long time to move in the right direction, 30 years for a title for them is really a poor return considering how much money they spent on supposedly top quality but mostly mediocre players, we're on the road to follow them if we're not careful.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

nullzero wrote: »
    Liverpool got it wrong for so long it beggars belief. They took a long time to move in the right direction, 30 years for a title for them is really a poor return considering how much money they spent on supposedly top quality but mostly mediocre players, we're on the road to follow them if we're not careful.

Exactly. Liverpool held on to the "bootroom" mentality for far too long, believing in old-fashioned techniques and systems to build and maintain a title winning side. Souness and Evans getting the managers job, simply through club connections and not proven ability.
    We were on exactly the same trajectory. Time will tell if we've managed to correct the slide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭redarmy

lol :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Huh? Were they playing tonight? Oh I see, City lost. Bout time the thing was made official tbh, leagues been over a hell of a long time. Wonder will Pep stick around for a fight?

Anyway, on related and infinitely more important matters considering Chelsea won which makes it a bit tougher for us being a game you'd have hoped they'd drop points.

I'm not expecting city to be missing out on CL next season so it's Europa or 4th for us as the options in my mind. I'm genuinely torn on whether I think we should just go all in on the Europa or not. The league form was good going into the covid break but I'm not sure how much faith in have in it, hopefully we can go strong on both fronts as CL football for next season is vital to the club's recovery be that with a new manager or not.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Mod Reminder: This is the Manchester United Thread, posts on this thread should relate to Manchester United .

Within reason, of course if someone on here has a baby or something we can go a bit off topic, otherwise lets talk about Manchester United please

Ah Jesus,

C'mon mod, if you're gonna pull that card you may as well delete half the posts from Man Utd and Liverpool threads since bourds.ie started.

You are supposed to be natural but if you take exception to Man Utd fans graciously holding their hands up and saying "well done Liverpool" then maybe close the website down.

Liverpool have been literally wising to be anywhere near to been close to the success Man Utd have been in the 90's/00's.

Give due where due is due man

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭unplayable

Painful evening. Hopefully we are on the right track. Feels like it’s been a long 7 years. We have all been through a lot in that time. I am old enough to remember how good it was when we won. I think winning the title in the next 3 years is possible and would be so ****ing sweet. Keep the faith. We will get back to winning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It's one title, 30 years in the making. Fair play but hardly anything to write home about as a team with 13 PL titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Must be a record, amazing the first thought to be landing in here. Its not like its been a surprise but they still can't help themselves. Haven't seen as many cards since Vinny Jones was a player

Only noticing now that FA cup is Sat, wonder will Ole rotate the team around for it. Plenty of options thankfully. After Chelsea winning it'd be good to rest a few and keep them fresh for the run in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭xtal191

Don't really care that they won the league, it was only a matter of time. I'm more concerned about how far off we are from challenging for a major title again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

MattS1 wrote: »
    It's one title, 30 years in the making. Fair play but hardly anything to write home about as a team with 13 PL titles.

I prefer to think of us of having 20 titles....what age are you????

PL stands for Premier League mate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Is anyone else having a can in misery? My phone has been smashed out of it all evening and it's not as if I know many Evertonians to vent to :pac:

28 assuming he was born year one of the PL?

PL stands for Premier League mate

I am not your mate and i am very proud of the fact we still sit on top with 20 titles....does not matter to me what era they were won in!!!

How can you spend 30 years waiting for a PL title which has only existed 28 years? :-)

Please tell me you don't work for NASA?

• Advertisement

54and56 wrote: »
    28 assuming he was born year one of the PL?

It was a bizarre comment to be fair...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Only noticing now that FA cup is Sat, wonder will Ole rotate the team around for it. Plenty of options thankfully. After Chelsea winning it'd be good to rest a few and keep them fresh for the run in
    Squad rotation and player fitness is going to be crucial so a lot of key decisions for Ole to make. Think he's going to have to strike that balance between giving everyone a rest once a week but not quite having two teams where momentum can be lost.

I get the impression Ole is meticulous when it comes to planning so hopefully everyone has a fair idea of what will be asked of them.

I would take our week of Norwich, Brighton, Bournemouth as opposed to Chelsea's Leicester, West Ham, Watford and Leicester's Chelsea, Everton, Palace anyway. There's an extra day rest for us too.

54and56 wrote: »
    How can you spend 30 years waiting for a PL title which has only existed 28 years? :-)

Good man :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

I May be drunk ,but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say with 1 good cb signing , we can challenge for that league. The rest of that team from midfield up is as good as any of them pound for pound

Is anyone else having a can in misery? My phone has been smashed out of it all evening and it's not as if I know many Evertonians to vent to :pac:

I consider myself one of the lucky ones, only 2 of my close friends are Liverpool fans and they have always been decent to be fair. I simply sent them a message of congratulations and left it at that!

akelly02 wrote: »
    I May be drunk ,but I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say with 1 good cb signing , we can challenge for that league. The rest of that team from midfield up is as good as any of them pound for pound

You're drunk :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭akelly02

You're drunk :)

As I thought. Ignore and carry on sir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

akelly02 wrote: »
    As I thought. Ignore and carry on sir

Add in a goalkeeper to your theory and you's aren't too far off!

Genuinely think United need the following:

GK/LB/RW - A world class Holding midfielder wouldn't go a miss but not a priority. I'm not saying they'd win the league with those signings, but yous would definitely be more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Sickened Chelsea won that, need them to lose to have a good chance, feels like Leicester are the team to catch now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

Add in a goalkeeper to your theory and you's aren't too far off!

Genuinely think United need the following:

GK/LB/RW - A world class Holding midfielder wouldn't go a miss but not a priority. I'm not saying they'd win the league with those signings, but yous would definitely be more challenging.

Sancho is a must in imo, that side has been weak for so long but it's been hard to get a top quality player for that side.

LB i wouldnt be to worried about with williams coming through and shaw is around long enough to either step up or ship on after next season then look at the posistion.

GK, regards DeGea, i'd keep 100%, he's had a few blunders but he's also been class for us, a new DM is needed to get that structure for the line.
    Matic having a great second half to the season but he will need replacing.

I could see McTominay building up and growing his game to that type of posistion but it's to him and the staff to see if he can be moulded into it, if not then a new DM should be in.

I'd agree with lb and rw but goalkeeper is not a priority or should I say not a position I'm concerned about. De Gea is obviously good enough to play for a title challenging team and Henderson is showing plenty of promise if not. No need to invest but yep left back can be upgraded and right wing/right forward can just be filled in general! Biggest hole in the squad.

We could improve in most positions but the defence had been in very good form also on that good run, I have no real worries about Maguire or Lindelof. Perfect? Nope, could be improved on? Absolutely.

I argue that by signing a right sides attacker and a top defensive midfielder are the main areas to look at. Then left back and striker/centre back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Don't care about the game tonight confirming Liverpool as title. Deserved. But Chelsea winning tonight hurt way more than that. City gave up with a whimper during the year. Need to pretty much win every game and hope either Leicster or Chelsea slip up.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Need to pretty much win every game and hope either Leicster or Chelsea slip up.

Technically no we don’t. City are right now banned from Europe so we are the 5th place team. It’s unlikely City’s ban will be completely overturned and if we get more points than the teams below us then we are in the CL. Whether we finish 3rd 4th or 5th won’t matter as long as it comes with CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    Don't care about the game tonight confirming Liverpool as title. Deserved. But Chelsea winning tonight hurt way more than that. City gave up with a whimper during the year. Need to pretty much win every game and hope either Leicster or Chelsea slip up.

Suprisngly i think city's main weakness is their CF. Aguero is absolute quality but Jesus is not all that imo. Silva starting up front i thought was strange and leaving the backup CF on the bench. Probably tactics but you'd want some sort of CF starting id imagine

*Edit: i didnt get to see the game so might have been different with wide players just drifting in a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

GSPfan wrote: »
    Technically no we don’t. City are right now banned from Europe so we are the 5th place team. It’s unlikely City’s ban will be completely overturned and if we get more points than the teams below us then we are in the CL. Whether we finish 3rd 4th or 5th won’t matter as long as it comes with CL.
    Still prefer to get either 3rd or 4th though. And Citys ban could be overturned in some regard, including being allowed to compete next year. I agree it shouldn't happen but....sport law is weird and complex.

Also, don't want certain fans saying we got in through luck or whatever or that we didn't actually qualify. Obviously Europa League is still an option which is kind of funny as if City's ban is upheld and we win that then 6th get in too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,830 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Our problem is simply down to poor leadership and poor decision making...

The first fûck up that killed us was replacing Fergie with Moyes... when you look and examine that decision over time the only thing to say is WHAT THE ACTUAL **** !!! The most successful and dynamic manager the sport has seen, replaced by a lad who won exactly fûck all up to joining United and in his time with Manchester United would win a grand total of one trophy, the community shield, which is basically given for winning a pre-season friendly.

Moyes was at Goodison for 11 years, but won not even 1 fûcking trophy... but sureeeee take the reigns of Manchester United, following in the footsteps of the great Sir Alex who won with United...

13 Leagues

5 FA Cups

4 League Cups

2 UEFA Champions Leagues

1 Cup Winners Cup

Moyes, in over a decade of management... zilch !

Replace that caliber of leader and tactical genius with a fella whose been bouncing around the upper reaches of mid table obscurity for 11 years, without a single medal or trophy to his name. But hey, he gives youth a chance as did Ferguson.... the only fûcking comparison is that he gives youth a chance ! That he never troubles the trophy engraver to inscribe ‘Everton’ onto a single piece of silverware is neither here nor there... he plays young fellas, that will do sure...you might as well have said... “he likes lasagne too”.

He managed Everton to places 17th worst and 5th best, never won a trophy or medal.

Less resources and attractiveness in the transfer market? You betcha but that’s not a record that should be getting you anywhere near even being ‘considered’ for the Manchester United management job.

Not his fault, but it certainly was the fault of whoever was sitting around the boardroom table. Also Alex Ferguson. Fergie can choose the tactics, the players but he has no business entering that discussion of who should be succeeding him. United fücked up.. Moyes, he was NEVER up to the job... and it’s clear that a few in the boardroom are not either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We have had plenty of time to sort things out since Moyes left.

We came 2nd in league few seasons back.

It’s just been errors all over that has cost us, not 1 season that was 7 years ago now.

Anyway the team is starting take shape, but still a season or 2 sadly before we might see it come to light if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Sorry can I ask for some advice guys from anyone who posts on RedCafe here?

I've been banned following 'cull of Liverpool fans', about 500 of them were banned last night.

Except I'm a United supporter NOT a Liverpool one, falsely accused by a random idiot who added me to his wannabe banned list, the mods took this as gospel with no evidence and I'm banned?

It took me two years to get the 10 likes required and access to all parts of the forum. Really gutted about that, being banned is one thing if I was breaking the rules, but being banned with a false accusation is another thing. I've tried to contact the forum, but I'm not getting a response and I'm not sure I will.

Apparantly the moderator Niall took the decision, didn't ask me my allegiancies or anything. Really really disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Sorry can I ask for some advice guys from anyone who posts on RedCafe here?

I've been banned following 'cull of Liverpool fans', about 500 of them were banned last night.

Except I'm a United supporter NOT a Liverpool one, falsely accused by a random idiot who added me to his wannabe banned list, the mods took this as gospel with no evidence and I'm banned?

It took me two years to get the 10 likes required and access to all parts of the forum. Really gutted about that, being banned is one thing if I was breaking the rules, but being banned with a false accusation is another thing. I've tried to contact the forum, but I'm not getting a response and I'm not sure I will.

Apparantly the moderator Niall took the decision, didn't ask me my allegiancies or anything. Really really disappointing.

Cant help you with the query but personally speaking, you should give this thread a go if you want a decent (mostly) place to discuss United. There were some changes recently following user feedback and the improvements are already clear to see. RC always struck me as the United equivalent of Blue Moon or RAWK ie all three are basket cases. Banning rival fans for acting the bollix is one thing, banning them just for being rivals though is pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What channel we on tomorrow, presume we are televised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

What channel we on tomorrow, presume we are televised?

BBC One

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement