Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

A boring one.

AT&T currently $30.50 and dividend is almost 7%. Sank to $27.50 from $39 ish in the Covid drop. That was the same low as Dec 2018 and Oct 20.

"The company expects to have the financial flexibility in 2021 to continue to invest in growth areas, sustain the dividend at current levels and focus on debt reduction"

I'll be happy to hold this for years but I'd not be surprised to see it recover to $40 within 18 months or so which would be 30% upside ignoring dividends.

Pension money not pocket money with this one as the dividend net of tax for ROI based folk isn't great (as with all dividends really). A euro is buying a fair amount of dollars now IMO ........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Atlas_IRL wrote: »

Really like this spac, good thread here on it https://twitter.com/spacanpanman/status/1337973682556313600

Also like

bft -> paysafe
      INAQ -> metromile
      Advent https://www.advent.energy/automotive/

Have put a few euro into INAQ today. I prefer it to Lemonade. Don’t see why it can’t jump a good bit once the merger completes.

• Site Banned Posts: 74 ✭✭Mickey_James

Have put a few euro into INAQ today. I prefer it to Lemonade. Don’t see why it can’t jump a good bit once the merger completes.

I got into Lemonade about 63 for long term and it got a big pop based on Motley Fool article which I found strange...didn't think they'd have the weight to affect stocks.

Felt good to just get in before the pop. :) Up 35%.

Its fairly volatile, it's down over 4% so far today but fairly decent swings. If it hits 85 I think that's a decent price to get in at.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Stark wrote: »
      Are you using the new IBAN? (account should be in your own name rather than Degiro). If it's the old one, then your money will eventually get bounced back.

I only opened it about a month ago. Did it change since?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,893 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think it was about 3 months ago when they changed them.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Cheers to all who got back about Degiro.

I will go back to the newbs corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

allybhoy wrote: »
      Id be fairly confident they will have either a strong end to the year, or else a quick start to 2021, its not one im too concerned about tbh, Buy the dips i suppose....

I think everyone is guilty of this to be honest, selling too early and living with regret. A guy on twitter (StockDweebs) has his 10 commandments in trading to live by, this is step 4 quite prudent advice. If you look at number 8 also, when I make a trade now, I immediately set an alert for a % of profit that i would be happy with, 10\15\20% etc. If it hits that target, sell, forget and move on to the next one.... of course thats what i say i do...

stockdweebs.jpg

Think I prefer Warren Buffet's two Golden rules of investing.

1. Don't lose money.
      2. See rule no.1

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I got into Lemonade about 63 for long term and it got a big pop based on Motley Fool article which I found strange...didn't think they'd have the weight to affect stocks.

Its fairly volatile, it's down over 4% so far today but fairly decent swings. If it hits 85 I think that's a decent price to get in at.

I wouldn’t be looking to get in anywhere near 85. The stock went up massively essentially on the back of a Motley Fool article saying they thought it was a good pick. I might go in around the new year if it goes to the early 60’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

I wouldn’t be looking to get in anywhere near 85. The stock went up massively essentially on the back of a Motley Fool article saying they thought it was a good pick. I might go in around the new year if it goes to the early 60’s.

I was hovering over the button at 47. Biggest regret thus far. But yes wouldn't consider it at it's current price. Also not certain I believe the big boys couldn't recreate it in house. However first mover is important and the branding does come across well I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

80s Child wrote: »

I'll be joining ya!!

• Advertisement

Very odd, isn't it? Down again today so over 10% from its high last Wednesday. It's back to where it was in January despite having since increased its dividend (slightly), offloaded the "dead weight" consumer and off patent drug divisions to increase its growth potential, and having the only approved covid vaccine. Hopefully it'll see a return to the 40s sooner rather than later

213 billion market cap..... There's huge diversification in the company. I worked for Pfizer back in 2002 and their share price back then was about what it is now .... That was several years before they got serious in biotech by buying Wyeth.

IMO with Pfizer, J&J, Unilever, McDonalds etc you buy them for the dividend with a view to keeping them long-term. They are the sort of stocks to plough into when the market dips if you've cash and a low appetite for risk.

The vaccine work presumably is taking resources from other projects too.... Also there's huge ethical points of view on making too much cash from the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Cpfm

I picked up some lemonade too, at 68. its interesting to watch as the big insurers like Aviva and AXA are watching very closely. If the model expands to car insurance its a game changer.

About 8 years ago I put a lump sum into a managed fund with KBC. I think its accumulated about 10% in that time - a little over 1% a year. Since July I have incrementally built a portfolio in Degiro to the same value and I'm up 14%, and thats including some crap decisions and positions I took in the early days on what I thought were bottomed out stocks.
      I realise there is probably more risk (no probably about it ...), but I'm wondering why I've been ok with its performance until now. blissful ignorance I guess. Its categorised as high risk, irony there somewhere.
      Now I'm wondering if I should put it into a relatively safe stock, like Diageo, or amazon, Unilever or an ETF or managed fund instead. Or is leaving it there all part of a diversified portfolio?
      My portfolio has US tech (PayPal, Cloudfare, Twillio, Datadog) Scottish Mortgage Inv, Shell, melrose, itv... and a few small positions in Pharma & EV coz of FOMO with the tips you guys have generously shared. oh yeah.. I'm on the PSTH gravy train too...:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 74 ✭✭Mickey_James

Cpfm wrote: »
      I picked up some lemonade too, at 68. its interesting to watch as the big insurers like Aviva and AXA are watching very closely. If the model expands to car insurance its a game changer.

About 8 years ago I put a lump sum into a managed fund with KBC. I think its accumulated about 10% in that time - a little over 1% a year. Since July I have incrementally built a portfolio in Degiro to the same value and I'm up 14%, and thats including some crap decisions and positions I took in the early days on what I thought were bottomed out stocks.
      I realise there is probably more risk (no probably about it ...), but I'm wondering why I've been ok with its performance until now. blissful ignorance I guess. Its categorised as high risk, irony there somewhere.
      Now I'm wondering if I should put it into a relatively safe stock, like Diageo, or amazon, Unilever or an ETF or managed fund instead. Or is leaving it there all part of a diversified portfolio?
      My portfolio has US tech (PayPal, Cloudfare, Twillio, Datadog) Scottish Mortgage Inv, Shell, melrose, itv... and a few small positions in Pharma & EV coz of FOMO with the tips you guys have generously shared. oh yeah.. I'm on the PSTH gravy train too...:pac:

Same, I am only up about 4.5% because BABA is down about 9% for me and it's a heavier part of my holdings and if I didn't have currency losses I'd be up probably around 8 or 9 %.

Cpfm wrote: »
      ..... with its performance until now. blissful ignorance I guess. Its categorised as high risk, irony there somewhere.
      .......:

Anything invested in equities where it's conceptually possible to lose all or lots of the investment is categorised as high risk :)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭hottipper

So metromile are currently only available in 8 states so lots of room to expand and they have a partnership with ford also https://www.metromile.com/partners-ford/ It probably will be volatile for a while so i'm just gonna buy in chunks every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

hottipper wrote: »
      So metromile are currently only available in 8 states so lots of room to expand and they have a partnership with ford also https://www.metromile.com/partners-ford/ It probably will be volatile for a while so i'm just gonna buy in chunks every so often.

They will get about $300m from the merger but the state rollout timeline is actually quite good. Didnt know about the Ford partnership - good news.
      The ride along app is a great idea, you use it and drive for 17 days and it will tell you what you will be saving by switching to them.

Poised to grow and scale rapidly nationwide
      ° 21 state footprint by end of 2021 and 49 states by end of 2022
      ° Omni-channel customer growth engine leverages digital, offline and partnerships
      ° Ride Along™ “try before you buy” app converting 20% of users into customers
      ° Expect to achieve $1 billion of insurance premium run-rate by year-end 2024

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/11/24/2132624/0/en/Metromile-a-Leading-Digital-Insurance-Platform-to-Become-Public-Company.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone follow Chris Perruna on Twitter (@cperruna)? He's a great stock picker for the type of stuff I'm into (long-term holds, tech-based growth stocks). Last year's list included Livongo, Zoom, SE, Shopify, Square, Crowdstrike, PayPal, Roku etc - pretty much all of them doubled over the year. This was definitely an exceptional year, but you can see his prior years lists on his pinned tweet

Anyway he releases his list this time every year so I'll post them up here as he releases them.
      1. FUBO - life TV streaming for live sports, news and entertainment in US. Went public via SPAC this year - I actually bought a small position in this one a month ago.
      2. QS - develops batteries for electric vehicles, Volkswagen have a stake so presumably ae interested in the technology. Seems to charge a lot faster than competitors. Again, only IPO'd a month ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

new2tri19 wrote: »
      How do you stop beating yourself up over stocks you sold that you should have kept . I had 10k worth of Tesla in 2017 , each day it's painful . I had 5 stocks back then Tesla Google BP Ryanair and Berkshire .
      I read too much about diversification and ended up getting into investment trusts . Costly error. I'm never selling again 😅

I had Moderna a couple of years ago. It dropped as soon as I bought it so I sat on it for ages. When it spiked back in march I got rid for a small profit. To listen to z list celebs and newsreaders talk about moderna and biontech every day gives me the ######s. Vaccine stocks are bonkers now though, like Bulgarian property in 2007...))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

80s Child wrote: »

I had issues with transfers for ages with degiro. Just got sorted last week. I'm with Bank of Ireland and there are two IBANs with that account. Think it's from my time in college when I set it up donkeys years ago. Degiro said they had a lot of issues with BOI customers.
      I changed the linked account I had with degiro and did a transfer to the flatex account then and it worked. Hope you get sorted, felt I was missing out on a lot of movement the last few months..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Any difference between INAQ and INAQU?

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Any difference between INAQ and INAQU?

Just buy INAQ - there are units, warrants etc for spacs but its a whole different ball game. You can read here for more info on them https://justpaste.it/8ygja. You can make a lot of money with warrants but I find it hard to find any on a European exchange.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

BTC just smashed though $20K with a massive buy, talk about manipulation, going to sky rocket from here. Wouldn't be surprised to see some money leaving the market and getting onboard that train.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JoeBagga

Hold onto your bitcoin pants. I'm seeing a huge jump in crypto-related stocks today: CAN, MARA, MGI, SQ

nice pop off drive shack
      https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/quote/DS?p=DS&.tsrc=fin-srch
      92% return in 3 weeks this market is ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Shedite27 wrote: »
      Anyone follow Chris Perruna on Twitter (@cperruna)? He's a great stock picker for the type of stuff I'm into (long-term holds, tech-based growth stocks). Last year's list included Livongo, Zoom, SE, Shopify, Square, Crowdstrike, PayPal, Roku etc - pretty much all of them doubled over the year. This was definitely an exceptional year, but you can see his prior years lists on his pinned tweet

Anyway he releases his list this time every year so I'll post them up here as he releases them.
      1. FUBO - life TV streaming for live sports, news and entertainment in US. Went public via SPAC this year - I actually bought a small position in this one a month ago.
      2. QS - develops batteries for electric vehicles, Volkswagen have a stake so presumably ae interested in the technology. Seems to charge a lot faster than competitors. Again, only IPO'd a month ago.

I'd say make a thread on it so it doesn't get lost in here. I'd be interested to see that.

Similarly I'm going to watch Scott Galloway's predictions soon. He's pretty well informed and I'm currently reading his book "Post Corona - From Crisis to Opportunity" and it's very entertaining.

For anyone interested here is his 2020 predictions. Obviously some sort of virus impacted some of these.
      https://www.profgalloway.com/2020-predictions/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Anyone see the report on Robinhood (US Degiro equivalent) out today. One lad managed to make 12,700 trades in 6 months.

That's an average of 100 trades a day or 15 per trading hour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭cronos

Anyone see the report on Robinhood (US Degiro equivalent) out today. One lad managed to make 12,700 trades in 6 months.

Why is that news? How much did he make? Is it just because the trades were free? It's not hard to make trades, it's hard to make money and avoid fees.

He's probably running a trading bot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Sold my Shopify near its height today. Now have a decent amount sitting there waiting for a new move.

Was hoping it would have been AirBNB as I expected it to keep dropping but see it has recovered a bit today.

• Advertisement
    • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

PLS down near 20% today. Killer, as there have been good gains the past few weeks.

Advertisement