Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury Duty

Options
  • 26-09-2020 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭

My Wife is over 65 and I am 73 she is called for Jury Duty on Monday, as you can guess she is scared because of our ages and the Virus, is there any way she can avoid it. We are trying to stay safe during this crisis.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

She has the right to be excused if she is over 65. Tell her to respond as outlined below (section 3) indicating that she wants to be excused, maybe include a scanned image of the photo page of her passport.

When you receive a Jury Summons:

1. Read the summons carefully. If you are satisfied that you are eligible for jury service answer ‘Yes’ in Part 1 – ‘I confirm that I am eligible for jury service’.

2. If you believe that you are not eligible or disqualified for jury service, answer ‘Yes’ in Part 2 – ‘I believe that I am not eligible for jury service for the following reason’. Give the reason why you believe you are not eligible, or why you believe you are disqualified.

3. If you wish to be excused from jury service, enter the reason in Part 3 of the jury summons and enclose any supporting documents. If you are entitled to be excused as of right, state the reason here.

4. Return the Reply to Jury Summons.

When you have completed the Reply to Jury Summons form, return it by email to juries@courts.ie or in the pre-paid enveloped enclosed. Please make sure to quote your unique jury number (top right corner of the summons) on any email or correspondence to the Jury Court Office. You should keep the Jury Summons and bring it to court with you if you are attending for jury service.

https://www.courts.ie/ive-received-summons-what-should-i-do

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Storm 10

coylemj wrote: »
    She has the right to be excused if she is over 65. Tell her to respond as outlined below (section 3) indicating that she wants to be excused, maybe include a scanned image of the photo page of her passport.

When you receive a Jury Summons:

1. Read the summons carefully. If you are satisfied that you are eligible for jury service answer ‘Yes’ in Part 1 – ‘I confirm that I am eligible for jury service’.

2. If you believe that you are not eligible or disqualified for jury service, answer ‘Yes’ in Part 2 – ‘I believe that I am not eligible for jury service for the following reason’. Give the reason why you believe you are not eligible, or why you believe you are disqualified.

3. If you wish to be excused from jury service, enter the reason in Part 3 of the jury summons and enclose any supporting documents. If you are entitled to be excused as of right, state the reason here.

4. Return the Reply to Jury Summons.

When you have completed the Reply to Jury Summons form, return it by email to juries@courts.ie or in the pre-paid enveloped enclosed. Please make sure to quote your unique jury number (top right corner of the summons) on any email or correspondence to the Jury Court Office. You should keep the Jury Summons and bring it to court with you if you are attending for jury service.

https://www.courts.ie/ive-received-summons-what-should-i-do

Is it not too late she is called for this coming Monday, meant to add she was 65 in May

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Yes it's a bit late but my, non-legal purely practically speaking, advice is to scan over the documents so at least they have them for Monday morning. I can't see there being any repercussions but I have to ask, why have you left it so late to ask advice / do anything about it?

Yes it's a bit late but my, non-legal purely practically speaking, advice is to scan over the documents so at least they have them for Monday morning. I can't see there being any repercussions but I have to ask, why have you left it so late to ask advice / do anything about it?

She forgot all about it until today

Storm 10 wrote: »
    She forgot all about it until today

I checked citizens advice and it says you are exempt if you are 65 or over , could you give me a link for the page 3 and she could fill it out and bring it in on Monday, thanks for the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I checked citizens advice and it says you are exempts if you are 65 or over ....

I gave you a link to the courts website info on jury service. Where you can find info on the website of the relevant Govt. agency (revenue, social welfare, courts etc.) website, you have no business going to the Citizens Advice website.

And the Citizens Advice website doesn’t say she is ‘exempt’, they say what I told you above viz. that she has the right to be excused.
    .... could you give me a link for the page 3 and she could fill it out and bring it in on Monday, thanks for the help

It was a reference to Part 3 of the jury summons. Ask your wife for it.

Thanks guys for the help with this issue for Jury Duty, my wife went into the court this morning and after telling them her age she was excused straight away, really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,662 ✭✭✭✭josip

Is there a maximum age after which they don't issue Jury Service summons?
    My 83 year old mother got one last week.
    Gave us all a good laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

josip wrote: »

While having an automatic right to be excused due to age is one thing, not being invited due to age is quite another. My father was 80 this year, still does an alotment and is as sharp as he ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,131 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

josip wrote: »
    Juror names are drawn from the register of electors, which doesn't contain date-of-birth data (except that you have to be over 18 to get on it, obviously). So, no, they don't filter out people over an arbitrary age limit; they don't have the data. If summoned, you can apply for an exemption on the basis of health or infirmity if, in fact, you are unwell or infirm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭bassy

My Wife is over 65 and I am 73 she is called for Jury Duty on Monday, as you can guess she is scared because of our ages and the Virus, is there any way she can avoid it. We are trying to stay safe during this crisis.

You done well there you auld bugger ðŸ˜

Advertisement