Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Jury Duty

• 27-09-2020 7:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Got summonsed for jury duty last month (case is next week). Gave my employer a copy of the summons with the date on it.

Conveniently my employer has given me the day Im due to attend off, so I wont get paid for it now. Im basically loosing out on a day off.

Am I right to think that I am considered employed while in court so technically I should be paid for that day and shoudnt have been given it as a day off?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

“ if you are in employment, your employer must let you attend jury service. Time spent on jury service should be treated as if the employee were actually employed. In other words, if you are in employment and are attending for jury service, you are entitled to be paid while you are away from work. “

Your employer has to pay you for the day.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

“ if you are in employment, your employer must let you attend jury service. Time spent on jury service should be treated as if the employee were actually employed. In other words, if you are in employment and are attending for jury service, you are entitled to be paid while you are away from work. “

Your employer has to pay you for the day.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courtroom/jury_service.html

Thanks for that, another employee was told when they did it that they are only paid if picked for jury but for the first day when they went in to see if they are picked or not they were not paid.

I'm not on the jury yet, will know when I go in but I assume I should get paid regardless as I was summonsed to jury duty?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 esioal

You should be paid for any time that you’re told to attend the court for - you could end up attending for a few days in a row and not end up getting selected for any jury.
    If you’re dismissed from the courts for the day you should return to work if possible - say you get told at 11:30am you’re not needed for the rest of the day you shouldn’t just go home ;)
    Your employer can request of record of the time you were attending jury duty from the courts if they need to.

I was called for Jury Duty for Oct (which has subsequently been cancelled), when I entered it into our HR system as Jury Duty it didn’t deduct anything extra from my annual leave days.

Advertisement