Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20 (Mod Notes Post #1)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

bangkok wrote: »
    Would be happy to get 18m for smalling. Cant see him going for anything over that

What’s up with Smalling?

If I had a choice of relying on one of Rojo, Bailly (injuries) , Jones (injuries) or smalling as a replacement, he’d be top of the pile. Did he fall out with Ole or maybe was he insisting on starting? Smalling , Lindleof, Maguire plus another solid CB wouldn’t be a terrible central defence option for a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Drumpot wrote: »
    What’s up with Smalling?

If I had a choice of relying on one of Rojo, Bailly (injuries) , Jones (injuries) or smalling as a replacement, he’d be top of the pile. Did he fall out with Ole or maybe was he insisting on starting? Smalling , Lindleof, Maguire plus another solid CB wouldn’t be a terrible central defence option for a season.

Wouldnt be hard to be top of that pile in fairness. Id say he just needed a change of scene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Italian press saying Smalling is on his way back.

Roma want to do a 3m loan deal with an obligation to buy next summer for 15m. United want the 18m this summer. Since no deal has been reached, he'll be coming back for now.

Italian clubs are insane for pushing the can down the road when it comes to paying transfer fees. I'd say they're some dose to negotiate with.

Wouldnt be hard to be top of that pile in fairness. Id say he just needed a change of scene

No but it seems stupid to offload the best of 4. I understand it’s easier to offload better players but that shouldn’t mean you keep worse players and keep offering them contract extensions.

God damn it , Woodward is so out of his depth doing anything on the football side. I’d say he’s been the single biggest issue for The last 8 years with our squads and mismanagement of transfer kitty’s. Really is a shame we have no real way of getting him replaced and the club to be run better. It’s like it’s his personal vanity project as reward for being good at marketing stuff and arranging the United takeover. I don’t know any fan of any club that would want him anywhere near the football side of things on any capacity. He’s got too Much clout and doesn’t know what he’s doing. You let the average fan have the budget he’s wasted Over the last decade and they couldn’t do much of a worse job then Woodward.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Agents of #Gabriel have met the leaders of Manchester United in England. For the moment no concrete offer in Lille but discussions. Everton and especially Naples are there too. A 4th club has entered the file. The player / agents reflect. [Bouhafsi]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

What’s up with Smalling?

I think it's the whole "smalling can't play out from the back" issue. It's clearly what ole wants and expects from his CBs so why keep around someone who does not fit in with his plan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

No but it seems stupid to offload the best of 4. I understand it’s easier to offload better players but that shouldn’t mean you keep worse players and keep offering them contract extensions.

God damn it , Woodward is so out of his depth doing anything on the football side. I’d say he’s been the single biggest issue for The last 8 years with our squads and mismanagement of transfer kitty’s. Really is a shame we have no real way of getting him replaced and the club to be run better. It’s like it’s his personal vanity project as reward for being good at marketing stuff and arranging the United takeover. I don’t know any fan of any club that would want him anywhere near the football side of things on any capacity. He’s got too Much clout and doesn’t know what he’s doing. You let the average fan have the budget he’s wasted Over the last decade and they couldn’t do much of a worse job then Woodward.

He is still very poor on the ball and doesnt fit into oles plans.

Im sure ole wants rid of jones rojo and smalling and to replace with one defender who is much better than them all. Bailly id say woild be kept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭paulbok

He is still very poor on the ball and doesnt fit into oles plans.

Im sure ole wants rid of jones rojo and smalling and to replace with one defender who is much better than them all. Bailly id say woild be kept

I'd say if a decent offer came in for Bailly it would definitely be considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Is everyone experiencing daily glitches on boards? Feels like it’s a lot more than normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

GSPfan wrote: »
    Is everyone experiencing daily glitches on boards? Feels like it’s a lot more than normal.

It's a mess at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,206 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I think it's the whole "smalling can't play out from the back" issue. It's clearly what ole wants and expects from his CBs so why keep around someone who does not fit in with his plan.

He said going was Smallings decision, that he didn't want to be a squad player that he bought he was good enough and wanted to be playing week in week out so he went where he could get that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bouhafsi on the chances of Gabriel signing for United: "It's a bit early to say it, on both sides. The agents raise the auctions. And manchester united is working on several files at the same time."

Ed has learned to multitask, boys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,241 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Bouhafsi on the chances of Gabriel signing for United: "It's a bit early to say it, on both sides. The agents raise the auctions. And manchester united is working on several files at the same time."

Ed has learned to multitask, boys!

Everton, Napoli and Paris Saint-Germain are also in the hunt though.

Lille confirmed the signing of Sven Botman from Ajax earlier this week, which hints they're preparing for his departure.

it shouldn't even need saying that they are working on several signings at the same time. surely that's par for the course. i suppose not ed though :pac:

i dont know anything about him. had a quick look at his stats. he's 22 with 38 ligue 1 appearances over the last 2 seasons (24 + 14).

is he any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cotts72

I've no idea what either him or torres are like but For 30mill ill be well happy if they turn out ok

[Bild+] Manchester United are not in a position to pay the full €120m up front for Sancho due to the corona crisis. United want to pay €70m up front + €30m for Jadon Sancho up to 2021, and then an extra €20m in 2022

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

kowloonkev wrote: »
    Italian clubs are insane for pushing the can down the road when it comes to paying transfer fees. I'd say they're some dose to negotiate with.

Agreed can't stand them, always cheap buying, yet if they owned smalling it would be 50+ million to buy him,

If lovern is going for 11 million and smalling had a great season by all accounts in Italy no reason we can't get 20 million

(giallorossi.net) Roma have asked Smalling to reject any other transfer offers United are considering in a bid to force a move to them at a lower price.

More reports today that the Alexis Sanchez to Inter Milan deal will be done soon. Good.

I hope the Smalling deal happens soon too. As usual I feel like United need to clear out players before they can afford to buy in others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

(giallorossi.net) Roma have asked Smalling to reject any other transfer offers United are considering in a bid to force a move to them at a lower price.

Can't imagine they are allowed to do that?

Hococop wrote: »

Course they can. In essence they are saying to Smalling that we can’t afford to get into a bidding war so if you want to come here then you have to tell United to accept our bid. Means absolutely nothing to United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,609 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Hococop wrote: »

It's just one of those transfer season stories which cannot be proven or disproven but gets clicks.

I'm not too concerned with the structuring of the deal. Some compromise will be reached. Chris Smalling is 30 years old, is not in Ole's plans but is picking up 3.6 million gbp per year. Whatever money United get for him, if he's sold 3.6 million is saved on top of the fee and the correlation between player rewards and player performance is improved a bit more (still a lot to do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,667 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Looks like we should see major developments this week on whether we can come to some sort of agreement with Dortmund over Sancho. I like the approach of paying in instalments over a couple years rather than throw the entire lump sum like City do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭billyhead

Looks like we should major developments this week on whether we can come to some sort of agreement with Dortmund over Sancho. I like the approach of paying in instalments over a couple years rather than throw the entire lump sum like City do.

True it looks good for the balance sheet to have it paid in installments.

• Advertisement

For the money being suggested for Sancho I’d expect a goal/assist average of at least one of those per game over a season. If he’s as good as some are suggesting , that shouldn’t be a difficult target to reach.

For the money being suggested for Sancho I’d expect a goal/assist average of at least one of those per game over a season. If he’s as good as some are suggesting , that shouldn’t be a difficult target to reach.

There could well be. He's a top player.

Looks like we should see major developments this week on whether we can come to some sort of agreement with Dortmund over Sancho. I like the approach of paying in instalments over a couple years rather than throw the entire lump sum like City do.

think a lot of clubs sell these to 3rd parties.

say its 70 + 30 + 20, fully paid in 24 months. they could sell the 50m instalments for ~40m so get ~110m right now or whatever. doesn't really matter to us as long as the 2 clubs reach an agreement.

hopefully good developments this week, and then ed can move onto target #2

billyhead wrote: »
    There could well be. He's a top player.

Why do you think United the only top club in the world interested in signing him?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Why do you think United the only top club in the world interested in signing him?

Utd aren't the only club interested in signing him. They are however the only one of those clubs that can afford him this summer. Without Covid it would have been very different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

That should be the bare minimum expected of him...United have some fine players in Martial, Rashers, Greenwood & Bruno...PLenty of players to finish sancho moves and set him up...€120 million on the fee, what sort of wages will he command aswell

Utd aren't the only club interested in signing him. They are however the only one of those clubs that can afford him this summer. Without Covid it would have been very different.

I will be interested to see what the big clubs in Europe spend this transfer window. I think those that can wait and see should as prices for players could go down a fair bit over the next 24 months.

Why do you think United were apparently the only top club in the world interested in signing Bruno? He has worked out alright so far.

You never know until a deal is done anyway. Timo Werner was all but bound for Liverpool this past year, but out of nowhere Chelsea signed him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

I will be interested to see what the big clubs in Europe spend this transfer window. I think those that can wait and see should as prices for players could go down a fair bit over the next 24 months.

Utd have been waiting for seven years.

Not the time for patience in the market because of what may or may not happen.

As soon as he decided he would like to return to England, he pretty much decided he would join Manchester United. That any other Premier League club would break the £100m signing barrier seems almost absurd.

so wanting to return home rules out alot, then the fee rules out the other english clubs.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-jadon-sancho-manchester-united-100m

article from 14/04/2020

• Signing Sancho is an extremely positive move for the club if it happens

A player who any club would snap up in an instance

Utd at the moment in the most powerful position in the market

Maybe be happy about that

Really excited bout the Sancho deal today. By all accounts we’ve moved from the “considering making an enquiry” to “In early discussions through intermediaries” phase. Only another 5 weeks and 7 phases before we get to possibly open up talks on personal terms. And that means we’ll only be a week from signing him.

Exciting!

• Hype train time

SSN reporting now

Hype train time

SSN reporting now

saw they updated their headline alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

wow shiit got real

• Advertisement

Hype train time

SSN reporting now

giphy.gif

Dortmund want the deal done by this day week hence the urgency in getting it progressing now.

So cringey of United if they want it sorted before the 7th so they can announce it. Maguire and AWB were both announced on the date matching their shirt number.

Why do you think United were apparently the only top club in the world interested in signing Bruno? He has worked out alright so far.

You never know until a deal is done anyway. Timo Werner was all but bound for Liverpool this past year, but out of nowhere Chelsea signed him up.

Was there credible information that other clubs were interested? I don’t follow twitter and don’t get involved in transfer gossip. All I know is I haven’t heard any other club being seriously or continually linked with the player.

Bruno cost less then half the reported cost of Sancho , I’d say there’s a big difference. Players at that level (100mil+) are fewer and usually more sought after as there are only so many players at that level. Nobody in for him could mean a number of things, not all bad but I don’t see why I should I presume it’s all good either.

As soon as he decided he would like to return to England, he pretty much decided he would join Manchester United. That any other Premier League club would break the £100m signing barrier seems almost absurd.

so wanting to return home rules out alot, then the fee rules out the other english clubs.

https://www.football365.com/news/opinion-jadon-sancho-manchester-united-100m

article from 14/04/2020

That’s fair enough if England is genuinely his only desired destination. Don’t see any other club paying 100mil for him in England.

I don’t see why I should I presume it’s all good either.

To be utterly blunt, it's very clear you just don't like this deal, and. you're working backwards to justify your own doubts. And I get having doubts about a big money transfer, but it really does feel like you just don't want to like it.

His fee is spot on for the level of player he is. No other clubs are in a position where they both need AND can afford to buy him.

He is a world class talent who is only 20, in a position we desperately need to fill and haven't in a decade.

If you've doubts, go watch some of his highlights and you'll understand why 95% of fans are massively hyped by this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,111 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I for one am looking forward to reading about how over rated Sancho is and how we have bought a donkey over the coming days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

GSPfan wrote: »
    So cringey of United if they want it sorted before the 7th so they can announce it. Maguire and AWB were both announced on the date matching their shirt number.

Think you are reading way to much into the shirt numbers.

I could see the club wanting to unveil the new kit and Sancho at the same time, but i highly doubt they'll be bothered about whether they announce him on the 7th.

I don't remember any marketing beat at all on the date front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,295 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Sancho hype train building.... United app pings a notification.... OMG.... Its early team news for the game on Wednesday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement