Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coronavirus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

Personally, I don't think that any close proximity activity such as chess will be safe until there is a vaccine, regardless of any reduction in infections over the summer. If the world is lucky, there may be a breakthrough in Sept if reports from Oxford are true. An Oxford University scientist, Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology at Oxford is reported to have said Friday that a vaccine "could" be ready by September. Fingers crossed. In the meantime before a vaccine is found, there's no way I'd be sitting down at a board less than a meter from my opponent breathing in his/her breath exhalations, nor would I be shaking hands before or after a game, never mind the issue of possible contamination of chess pieces and mutual handling of same. I do agree with positivity but I'm mindful of pragmatism too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭mikhail

We could play like blind players, on separate boards several metres apart, calling out moves as we go. It'd require large venues, and I'd still be leery for now, to be honest. There are technological solutions too, but they come with the fear of cheating. I think the season is just a wash.

Which suits me down to the ground, because I was playing rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Eugene Donohoe

mikhail wrote: »
    We could play like blind players, on separate boards several metres apart, calling out moves as we go. It'd require large venues, and I'd still be leery for now, to be honest. There are technological solutions too, but they come with the fear of cheating. I think the season is just a wash.

Which suits me down to the ground, because I was playing rubbish.

Blind and rubbish resonate with me too! But ... we live in hope!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Personally, I don't think that any close proximity activity such as chess will be safe until there is a vaccine, regardless of any reduction in infections over the summer. If the world is lucky, there may be a breakthrough in Sept if reports from Oxford are true. An Oxford University scientist, Sarah Gilbert, a professor of vaccinology at Oxford is reported to have said Friday that a vaccine "could" be ready by September. Fingers crossed. In the meantime before a vaccine is found, there's no way I'd be sitting down at a board less than a meter from my opponent breathing in his/her breath exhalations, nor would I be shaking hands before or after a game, never mind the issue of possible contamination of chess pieces and mutual handling of same. I do agree with positivity but I'm mindful of pragmatism too!

I believe that the ICU has ordered almost 2000 gas masks and protective clothing as well as 2000 long grabbers, these are sticks with claws at the end, so play will resume soon. Also as an added precaution each player will be provided with a disinfecting aerosol to spray at the opponent during the game should they cough or sneeze or even if they play the French Exchange variation or the Berlin defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

I’ve been reliably told there’s a big market in dog hire in Spain. Walking the dog is the only excuse for being out and about. A possible business opportunity here !

• Advertisement

I’ve been reliably told there’s a big market in dog hire in Spain. Walking the dog is the only excuse for being out and about. A possible business opportunity here !
    Since lockdown started my dog Jethro runs and hides every time he sees me in case I want to bring him for yet another walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭anchor4208

So, what do people make of the road map announcement yesterday in so far as it might impact on chess?

There are contradictions in it, but my interpretation is that over the board chess could resume in phase 5, i.e. when they are allowing contact sports to resume. There would be an expectation that event organisers would still make an effort to minimise risk, so there would be a requirement to space out boards, provide hand sanitisers etc. But if you are allowed to wrestle during this period, I'm sure you'd be allowed to sit within 2m of your opponent.

Of course, there's a gap between what is allowed and what some people will be comfortable doing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,265 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Just looking at the summary there - the main thing that jumps out is that there's still a 20km travel restriction in place. That will rule out a lot - not just Bunratty/Kilkenny, but also the Leinster leagues.

That's of course assuming that phases 1-4 go smoothly without any resurge in the virus, which you'd have to imagine is probably unlikely.

A suggestion from a virologist GM in the current New in Chess is that "It is likely that all crowded chess tournaments will have to be postponed until early or mid 2021"

I hope we can have a return to normal in August, but I'd be pessimistic tbh.

Edit - not sure what I was reading or if the link has changed, but the 20km limit doesn't apply to phase 5, so ignore my point above!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RooksPawn

It seems clear that the Irish Championships cannot be held on the provisionally scheduled dates 1-9 August because Phase Five only starts (at earliest) on 10 August.
    If it is held, is the new champion guaranteed a place on the team for the Olympiad next summer? Presumably so, but that means three automatic qualifiers if there is a new winner?

Probably the championships should be postponed until late in the year or perhaps only play the top event, not the subsidiary ones (weekenders, blitz etc).
    IMHO these should be cancelled altogether and see if the new season can begin with the City of Dublins in September - but finding a venue may prove very difficult.

Phase 4, permitting travel beyond 20km, could allow the league season to be concluded and maybe some matches between teams close together might be played in Phase 3. Clearly it won't be possible to play all last round matches at a single venue.

Realistically, I think there are two options: cancel the season or only play those matches that affect titles, promotion and relegation.

The ICU is also going to have to think of a way to hold its agm in September. Maybe use something like Eventbrite to restrict numbers to those who book in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭EnPassant

Contact sports may be allowed in phase 5 but not many older people take part in rugby or wrestling. Last year's Irish Championship had 1 player in their 70s, 4 in their 60s and 8 in their 50s.

Maybe future tournaments and league matches will look like this:-
    - players sit beside each other, 2 metres apart
    - each player has a board in front of them, with the clock between them
    - white makes a move on their board and presses the clock
    - black applies the white move to their board, makes their move and presses the clock

This would not be too big a change - it is quite similar to how games involving blind players are currently played, but it means that players are not sitting opposite each other for 4 hours at a time, and players only touch their own set of pieces.

Maybe a relatively small tournament like the Irish Championship could be run this way in a well-ventilated hall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

RooksPawn wrote: »
    The ICU is also going to have to think of a way to hold its agm in September. Maybe use something like Eventbrite to restrict numbers to those who book in advance.
    Well this bit at least should be relatively easy to host online, I suspect.

As for playing OTB chess, that probably belongs to phase 6..

EnPassant wrote: »
    This would not be too big a change - it is quite similar to how games involving blind players are currently played, but it means that players are not sitting opposite each other for 4 hours at a time, and players only touch their own set of pieces.
    Probably not the worst of ideas, though time scrambles would be pretty much impossible. Time control is a big problem for blind players, in my experience of playing them.

Though what happens if boards differ? Do you need to prove which player made the mistake (pretty much impossible) Most players would play it in the sport it was intended, but you and I know there'd be some who'd act the maggot and would call out an incorrect move on purpose, and then deny blind that they'd done it. (And some would do so in genuine error of course)

This is probably covered under FIDE rules somewhere, but it'd take some getting used to.

The clock would also be a big problem. It works with blind players because they sit opposite their opponent, so can use the same clock. But if players are sitting beside each other but two metres apart, where does the clock go that both players can see it and reach it? Would they be able to reach it if it were at the top end of the boards? It'd be a stretch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭zeitnot

cdeb wrote: »
    Probably not the worst of ideas, though time scrambles would be pretty much impossible. Time control is a big problem for blind players, in my experience of playing them.

Though what happens if boards differ? Do you need to prove which player made the mistake (pretty much impossible) Most players would play it in the sport it was intended, but you and I know there'd be some who'd act the maggot and would call out an incorrect move on purpose, and then deny blind that they'd done it. (And some would do so in genuine error of course)

This is probably covered under FIDE rules somewhere, but it'd take some getting used to.

The clock would also be a big problem. It works with blind players because they sit opposite their opponent, so can use the same clock. But if players are sitting beside each other but two metres apart, where does the clock go that both players can see it and reach it? Would they be able to reach it if it were at the top end of the boards? It'd be a stretch anyway.

Correspondence chess has rules for transmission and verification of moves that maybe could be worked in. Players play their move, stop their own clock, write down the moves in numerical format (e.g., 5254 = e2-e4), transmit to their opponent, opponent's clock is started 10 seconds later. There's a record of what moves have been played, and if someone misinterprets their opponent's move (puts the wrong move on their own board), as happens in correspondence chess, it's their own hard luck.

It could all be made work as long as the system for transmitting the moves and starting the opponent's clock automatically remains up.

How does the transmitting a move work? Are you talking about writing down a move and passing over a piece of paper? Because if you're going to be touching the same piece of paper, you may as well touch the same pieces surely?

Stopping and restarting the clock between moves would also mean touching the same button, which would be a problem (as well as adding 20 minutes to a 60-move game, if it's a 10-second pause). Also, where is the clock? I'm not sure you can easily place it between two socially distant players.

How does the transmitting a move work? Are you talking about writing down a move and passing over a piece of paper? Because if you're going to be touching the same piece of paper, you may as well touch the same pieces surely?

Stopping and restarting the clock between moves would also mean touching the same button, which would be a problem (as well as adding 20 minutes to a 60-move game, if it's a 10-second pause). Also, where is the clock? I'm not sure you can easily place it between two socially distant players.

In correspondence, there is a server that both players have access to. (So I understand, anyway: I haven't used the system myself.) So no paper handling necessary (but the server has to stay operational).

It could also work with an arbiter as intermediary: player A plays move on board, stops his clock, writes down move on piece of paper, shows it to arbiter, arbiter writes it down, carries it over to player B (10m away in same room, or whatever), shows paper to B, starts B's clock 10 seconds later. So there are two separate clocks, 4 clock buttons, only one person touches any given clock button during the game. (Clunky, of course: much better if it can be done by server.)

Easy? No. But maybe something like this could be made to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

zeitnot wrote: »
    It could also work with an arbiter as intermediary: player A plays move on board, stops his clock, writes down move on piece of paper, shows it to arbiter, arbiter writes it down, carries it over to player B (10m away in same room, or whatever), shows paper to B, starts B's clock 10 seconds later. So there are two separate clocks, 4 clock buttons, only one person touches any given clock button during the game. (Clunky, of course: much better if it can be done by server.)
    Well, being an arbiter is rather dull in normal circumstances, so I guess the opportunity to walk a kilometre holding a piece paper and risk catching covid19 to save a player from doing so would make it more interesting, especially in a time scramble.

Given that you're floating individual arbiters per game as a suggestion, I presume this is a setting with only a few players, so perhaps just set up a few computers and let the games be played online? Could always screenshare with an arbiter if cheating is a concern.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Well, being an arbiter is rather dull in normal circumstances, so I guess the opportunity to walk a kilometre holding a piece paper and risk catching covid19 to save a player from doing so would make it more interesting, especially in a time scramble.

Given that you're floating individual arbiters per game as a suggestion, I presume this is a setting with only a few players, so perhaps just set up a few computers and let the games be played online? Could always screenshare with an arbiter if cheating is a concern.

With a server, it seems as if it should be workable. With one arbiter (why would individual arbiters be necessary?) and, say, 10 boards, it should all be workable, including during time scrambles, as long as the server keeps working. You'd need 3-4 times as much space for a given number of boards as you would now (two boards per game right off the bat, and greater spacing between boards). And it would be painful if and when a server went down.

Other suggestions are welcome. The default solution is "don't play at all".

With a server, it seems as if it should be workable. With one arbiter (why would individual arbiters be necessary?) and, say, 10 boards, it should all be workable, including during time scrambles, as long as the server keeps working. You'd need 3-4 times as much space for a given number of boards as you would now (two boards per game right off the bat, and greater spacing between boards). And it would be painful if and when a server went down.

Other suggestions are welcome. The default solution is "don't play at all".

I think that you've all been cooped up for too long. Next you will be suggesting that we train hamsters to ferry the moves between players or maybe that the players use long poles with claws to move the pieces. The sad truth is that there will probably be no chess until the pandemic is over .

My solution involves a web browser and a server. I don't really see the point of Heath Robinson contraptions to ferry moves around. I'll just play online until I am comfortable sitting in a room with 15 other people again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭RooksPawn

Who would want to be an arbiter (or a player for that matter) with such complicated and impractical arrangements?

Exchanging scoresheets to sign them can probably be dropped (only done in major events anyway) but I don't see an alternative to using one set and one clock. Masks and washing hands before, during and after games will be the main thing.

When competitive OTB chess returns it will have to be on the old system so far as boards and clocks are concerned.

How many people, and of what age groups, will be willing to play until there is a vaccine is a serious worry.

Another point: Many players maybe reluctant to pay ICU subs for 2020/2021 if they will get little or no chess. Many might be willing to pay a holding sub of 5 or 10 Euro to maintain their rating and connection with ICU, to be topped up when they resume active play.

• Advertisement

RooksPawn wrote: »
    Another point: Many players maybe reluctant to pay ICU subs for 2020/2021 if they will get little or no chess. Many might be willing to pay a holding sub of 5 or 10 Euro to maintain their rating and connection with ICU, to be topped up when they resume active play.
    Fair point. The ICU's expenditure should see a big dip too though, so I don't think that's too worrying.

There seems to have been a complete change of focus nationally as efforts have begun to return to some sort of normality. Chess competitions will sooner or later have to resume so how will this be managed? Players wearing masks , tables two metres apart, hands and pieces sanitized before games, social distancing, no analysis after games and players and spectators not allowed near other boards. Would these measures be enough? Covid 19 could be with us for years so I think that we are going to have to learn to live with it. I wouldn't be 100% happy about playing chess again but if the right precautions were in place I would play.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

sodacat11 wrote: »
    Chess competitions will sooner or later have to resume so how will this be managed? Players wearing masks , tables two metres apart, hands and pieces sanitized before games, social distancing, no analysis after games and players and spectators not allowed near other boards. Would these measures be enough? Covid 19 could be with us for years so I think that we are going to have to learn to live with it.

Good points there. I guess the result of all this will be that competitions will be smaller when things get started again. How small is viable though?

Subbuteo wrote: »
    Good points there. I guess the result of all this will be that competitions will be smaller when things get started again. How small is viable though?
    Size isn't everything, if you can make do with volunteer controllers and minimal prize funds. The necessary square footage per player may go up a lot though, and that could make venues expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 VanMorrison

Why not run the Irish Championships online?

How do you rule out people not cheating?

I'd prefer to rule out people cheating. :pac:

There's a reason the OTB rating system has never rated online games. Maybe we can have an Irish Online Championship, with a asterisk on the title awarded. The winner could be awarded a photograph of the trophy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Subbuteo

mikhail wrote: »
    I'd prefer to rule out people cheating. :pac:

There's a reason the OTB rating system has never rated online games. Maybe we can have an Irish Online Championship, with a asterisk on the title awarded. The winner could be awarded a photograph of the trophy.

Ha ha ... Or go the whole hog and have an Irish ‘Advanced Chess’ Championship. It’s sure to upset the established order!

Well you can't rule it out absolutely. But you can't absolutely rule out OTB cheating either.

If the Controller is computer literate, checks on the players with Zoom, has some sort of software whereby s/he can read your computer screen, and games can be checked by someone competent in reading computer detection patterns (e.g. borrow someone from chess.com) then you at least have high levels of deterrence.

If it's a choice between no 2020 Irish Championship and an online one, well could be worth the risk.

• Advertisement

The thing is, now you're getting into the levels where most people just don't want to go.

How do you manage doing to the bathroom during a match for example?

You also need several controllers to keep an eye on all those screens. Maybe one controller for every three matches. That's a lot of controllers with specialist online proctoring skills.

The thing is, now you're getting into the levels where most people just don't want to go.

How do you manage doing to the bathroom during a match for example?

You also need several controllers to keep an eye on all those screens. Maybe one controller for every three matches. That's a lot of controllers with specialist online proctoring skills.

It's a trade off between the perfect and the good.

If you want perfect then don't expect a 2020 Irish Championship or even a 2021 Irish Championships.

The deterrent is the video and time record of a person leaving their seat corresponding with suspicious computer-esque play upon their return. It's more of an evidence deterrent than you would get playing in a hotel or school where there is no record of you leaving your seat. Also a set up where your opponent can see the video of you leaving adds to the deterrence. And maybe the spectating public too.

Controller's don't need to be ever watchful as long as the Zoom records people coming and going. At the end of the day it's the computer savvy detective that catches the cheat.

Well you can't rule it out absolutely. But you can't absolutely rule out OTB cheating either.

If the Controller is computer literate, checks on the players with Zoom, has some sort of software whereby s/he can read your computer screen, and games can be checked by someone competent in reading computer detection patterns (e.g. borrow someone from chess.com) then you at least have high levels of deterrence.

If it's a choice between no 2020 Irish Championship and an online one, well could be worth the risk.
    NO, it wouldn't be and such a "championship" would have no credibility whatsoever. If hairdressers, physios, beauticians, dentists, gyms etc can return to work I don't see why chess can't be played, it just takes for people to behave in a responsible manner as I am sure they would.

NO, it wouldn't be and such a "championship" would have no credibility whatsoever. If hairdressers, physios, beauticians, dentists, gyms etc can return to work I don't see why chess can't be played, it just takes for people to behave in a responsible manner as I am sure they would.

There you go. Practically guaranteeing the death of Irish Chess, sodacat. "If it's not played in precisely the same way as Irish Championships for the last 150 years it's not a real championship", ye may as well have said. Magnus Carlsen isn't waiting around for Fide, Leo V or anyone else to get chess going. He's getting on with it himself and has whipped up $1M for his online season. As long as there is good cheat detection most Irish players could live with an online edition of the Irish Championship for a year or two if the alternative is canceling the Irish Championships altogether. The ICU needs a back up plan for times when OTB can't be arranged, and online tournaments is that backup plan. Magnus just proved it.

Firstly the Irish Championship has not been played in "precisely the same way " for even fifty years never mind one hundred and fifty. Time controls have changed for a start and at least once we had a qualifying tournament to even get into an Irish Championship.
    Secondly Mongoose Carlsen, unlike the ICU, could afford to have an arbiter present in the home of every contestant in an Irish Championship so whatever he may be up to isn't really relevant.
    As for your assertion that "most Irish players could live with an online edition"?? No doubt you carried out some sort of survey to arrive at this conclusion but I for one (as one of the most regular participants in Irish Championships) was not canvassed so I don't know how accurate your statement is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 DancingSpaniel

I think VanMorrison is making a bold attempt to brainstorm a way to having an online Irish Championship if an OTB championship isn't possible. I think he's right that quite a lot can be done with software to prevent cheating, but it's not simple to do.

The alternative OTB Championship could be an odd affair as well. Many players might decide that OTB isn't safe enough to play, so who knows who that might throw up as a winner.

• Advertisement

I think VanMorrison is making a bold attempt to brainstorm a way to having an online Irish Championship if an OTB championship isn't possible. I think he's right that quite a lot can be done with software to prevent cheating, but it's not simple to do.

The alternative OTB Championship could be an odd affair as well. Many players might decide that OTB isn't safe enough to play, so who knows who that might throw up as a winner.
    It is possible that the coronavirus is going to be with us indefinitely, much like the flu. Sooner or later chess will have to resume so the best we can do is try to make competitions as safe as possible. Online chess is a poor substitute for the real thing.

It is possible that the coronavirus is going to be with us indefinitely, much like the flu. Sooner or later chess will have to resume so the best we can do is try to make competitions as safe as possible. Online chess is a poor substitute for the real thing.

Availability of an accurate test with prompt results would go a long way to enabling a normal tournament.

In the meantime, maybe dividing events into small sections would reduce risk, and could be looked at if things drag on too much longer.

Availability of an accurate test with prompt results would go a long way to enabling a normal tournament.

In the meantime, maybe dividing events into small sections would reduce risk, and could be looked at if things drag on too much longer.

Testing would certainly help. Smaller groups will probably happen regardless because many will be nervous about playing. All we can do is to try and cover all angles then keep fingers crossed. The situation should be clearer in a few weeks time when a return to chess is more of a reality, I still think that the easing of the lockdown is going to cause some problems and a possible increase in cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭macelligott

Ban Dihydrogen Monoxide now!
    https://www.lockhaven.edu/~dsimanek/dhmo.htm

I had some of this stuff during my last game before the pandemic shut everything down. It was the maddest game ever!

• Advertisement

It'll be interesting to see how ratings fluctuate once we get back to playing OTB chess (whenever that is)

There's a big spike in online blitz, but is that really all that helpful to the real game? I find it just turns my head to mush - play the first move you see kind of stuff. Bullet is worse. And then there's berserk ultrabullet games (7½ seconds each, no increments...)

There's now more time to put in proper study - on openings, endings, games analysis and so on - but the motivation to do so must decline the longer away real chess looks.

Will we return with 1900s who are now 1700 or 1700s who are now 1900?

Too much blitz makes me sloppy and blunder prone but I am probably playing about forty blitz games a day at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

On the Irish I wonder if some kind of matchplay might be a solution? get the top 16 and organise matches in each others houses?

Still a risk obviously but it limits the contact, no good solution really

Playing chess would be no riskier than getting a haircut, a massage or a beauty treatment, going to a gym or sitting on a plane. If those activities can safely recommence (which remains to be seen) then why can't chess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭brilliantboy

Playing chess would be no riskier than getting a haircut, a massage or a beauty treatment, going to a gym or sitting on a plane. If those activities can safely recommence (which remains to be seen) then why can't chess?

Well said.
    As long as it's legal and in accordance with the public health advice then I see no reason why over the board play shouldn't resume as soon as possible. If we're going to wait until everybody is comfortable playing then we may well be waiting forever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Well said.
    As long as it's legal and in accordance with the public health advice then I see no reason why over the board play shouldn't resume as soon as possible. If we're going to wait until everybody is comfortable playing then we may well be waiting forever.

Forever? How about waiting until we have this virus under wraps?

It would be idiotic and negligent to do otherwise.

Joedryan wrote: »
    Forever? How about waiting until we have this virus under wraps?

It would be idiotic and negligent to do otherwise.

Fair enough, but the problem is what is meant by "under wraps".

If it dies out more or less completely as SARS did, or of there's a completely effective vaccine, that's easy.

But what if it hangs around like the regular flu, vaccines are iffy or years away, tests are available but not completely reliable, treatments improve a bit but it's still dangerous, ... . Sometimes it's a harder call.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭pdemp

To a degree I am each to their own, especially when active cases is low, but it is considerably more risky than getting a haircut or other activities above (well plane maybe). The duration of the game and close proximity of players makes it ideal for spread. It's not nightclub level spread, but a few sighs from a pre/asymptomatic could easily see 2 of the nearby 5 infected per round. Head in hands concentrating with droplets accumulating on face from mask, then touching pieces.

I'm not saying don't plan the restart (I won't play leagues as I'm high risk of getting infected elsewhere, and while survival probability is high for my age it's not the case for my team mates), just be objective. Government aren't going to consider guidelines for chess, given the guidelines for businesses are pretty wishy washy.

How safe OTB chess would be depends very much on the behaviour of the people taking part. The venue needs to be set up to enable social distancing, and the players, spectators controller etc. needs to observe social distancing, hygiene etc.

We all know the spectator who stands way too close to the board (usually jangling keys in their pocket) or the kid who stands right next to you. Who will stop that?

Even assuming all that is sorted, if your opponents coughs during the game, how will that affect your concentration? And then they cough again 20 mins later?!

It's a personal matter where you draw the pleasure/risk line. For me, I can't see myself playing OTB chess until the threat of Covid-19 is down to where the seasonal flu is.

pdemp wrote: »
    To a degree I am each to their own, especially when active cases is low, but it is considerably more risky than getting a haircut or other activities above (well plane maybe). The duration of the game and close proximity of players makes it ideal for spread. It's not nightclub level spread, but a few sighs from a pre/asymptomatic could easily see 2 of the nearby 5 infected per round. Head in hands concentrating with droplets accumulating on face from mask, then touching pieces.

I'm not saying don't plan the restart (I won't play leagues as I'm high risk of getting infected elsewhere, and while survival probability is high for my age it's not the case for my team mates), just be objective. Government aren't going to consider guidelines for chess, given the guidelines for businesses are pretty wishy washy.
    I agree about "each to their own". Personally, I have been very cautious to date, I wear gloves and a mask when going to shops, I wash hands, sanitize on return. I have avoided close contact with everyone except my partner and she hasn't been near other people either. Outside, I give people a wide berth and I am not ordering books or stuff by post as I usually would in case the items could be infected. Having said all that, I would like to try and restore some degree of normality if safe to do so. I will return to playing golf this week for a start. Chess is obviously much more problematic and a return shouldn't be considered until we see how the other easing measures work out over the next two months. If by then most things are operating safely then we can think about having chess tournaments return. Compulsory wearing of masks, hand sanitizers, social distancing (as much as is feasible) and responsible behaviour by participants should make play possible. If weather permitted we could even play outdoors or in places where there is a large roof and open sides like the one beside the bandstand on Dun Laoghaire pier for example, some schools and sports grounds have such structures. There are lots of possible solutions if we put our minds to finding them.

• Advertisement
Advertisement