Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Geremiah in Cloneen. Not sure of his surname. It's on the left as you go from Fethard to Mullinahone.

Sound lad so he is. Does a 100 jobs at the same time and likes to have a chat but good quality branded tyres at good prices and always throws in a car wash as well. As another poster said of you can leave the car there for the day do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Off license at the showgrounds is closed. They were loading all stock into a truck. Met one of the lads at the door who worked there he was told Thursday it was closing.

Pity, the staff were always nice, courteous, and friendly, what the place needed was an Indian Take Away in the vacant unit next door to increase it's footfall.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Just after reading a status on all things Clonmel on Facebook about a dog being attacked on the heywood road near Chrissies.

Apparently it was very serious and the dog nearly died, a young fella also had to jump onto a wall to get away from him too in a separate incident and from reading the comments the dog is still around.

Says guards have been notified but sher you're pissing against the wind there.

Latest I heard the attacking dog is being put to sleep in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

marvin80 wrote: »

Some good news in that all right are Meteor planning on moving to the Poppyfields I wonder or is it a mistake?

Also interesting to note that the rates in Clonmel are seen as "relatively expensive"

• Advertisement

Borc partnership, weren't they the crowd who were to redevelop the Clonmel Arms?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Unfaithfully

Interesting article:

if it it true why are all the local politicians complaining about the town centre dying. someone is spinning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

I think the originators of the story have a vested interest in talking up the town, but its obvious to all people without blinkers that the town is dying at a rapid rate.
    One only has to look at all the empty commercial premises around.

Perhaps the charge to vacant commercial properties which came into effect on 1/10/14 will do something about the oversupply that is there.
    Just my opinion.......

btb wrote: »
    I think the originators of the story have a vested interest in talking up the town, but its obvious to all people without blinkers that the town is dying at a rapid rate.
    One only has to look at all the empty commercial premises around.

Perhaps the charge to vacant commercial properties which came into effect on 1/10/14 will do something about the oversupply that is there.
    Just my opinion.......

They are NOT talking up the town. They are talking up all the retail and business parks OUTSIDE the town. The town centre is still struggling. Nothing but discount stores, hair and beauty places, clothes altering services. Not much to encourage you to pay to park and browse.

They are NOT talking up the town. They are talking up all the retail and business parks OUTSIDE the town. The town centre is still struggling. Nothing but discount stores, hair and beauty places, clothes altering services. Not much to encourage you to pay to park and browse.
    they claim the town centre is doing well. so they are talking it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Clonmel town centre is no better or worse than any other town centre of its size in the country, Its an awful pity that the shops that went into the Showgrounds like Argos, M&S, BBs, TK Maxx etc etc couldent have been accommodated somewhere in the town centre. Outside of the awful Market Place area mentioned in the piece there aren't very many empty retail units in the towns 3 main shopping areas O Connell St, Gladstone St and Mitchell St. In fact the shops here such as River Island, DV8, Sixth Sense, Niamhs, Penneys, Heatons, Dealz, McDonalds to name a few compare favourably with any other town I've been in recently. When it comes to local politicians unfortunately Clonmel has persisted through boom and bust with electing negative politicians who are anti everything and seem happy only when they are talking the place down.

Clonmel town centre is no better or worse than any other town centre of its size in the country, Its an awful pity that the shops that went into the Showgrounds like Argos, M&S, BBs, TK Maxx etc etc couldent have been accommodated somewhere in the town centre.
    Disagree would not pay parking. That is why they are outside town

the newspaper claimed its better than others

Nobody likes paying pay parking but its a fact of life in every town. Like I said its as good or as bad as any town in Ireland in 2014. Been to any of our cities lately? Waterford and Limerick are in a far worse state than Clonmel all things being equal.

Nobody likes paying pay parking but its a fact of life in every town. Like I said its as good or as bad as any town in Ireland in 2014. Been to any of our cities lately? Waterford and Limerick are in a far worse state than Clonmel all things being equal.
    waterford is not the issue. the issue is the news article is spin. and i do not pay to park in clonmel

Why don't you pay to park? Is this Clonmel or every town you go to? A bit of positive spin if that's what you want to call it makes a change from the usual bas news we are bombarded with every day. I merely used Waterford as an example.

Why don't you pay to park? Is this Clonmel or every town you go to? A bit of positive spin if that's what you want to call it makes a change from the usual bas news we are bombarded with every day. I merely used Waterford as an example.

You do pay on street, but not in the out of town centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Just on the O' Keeffes discussion, we went to Bakers last night instead and I couldn't believe how packed it was. Very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

callaway92 wrote: »
    Just on the O' Keeffes discussion, we went to Bakers last night instead and I couldn't believe how packed it was. Very enjoyable

I think if Bakers had a late licence alot of 'older' people would stay there instead of going to O'Keeffes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,366 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Meathlass wrote: »
    I think if Bakers had a late licence alot of 'older' people would stay there instead of going to O'Keeffes.

Sorry ya, I forgot to mention that about no late license. Was disappointed it finished up and was emptied by 01:30, but I 100% agree on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Deminiman

callaway92 wrote: »
    Sorry ya, I forgot to mention that about no late license. Was disappointed it finished up and was emptied by 01:30, but I 100% agree on that.

Apparently they did apply for a late licence for bakers, but coachman and Morans objected on grounds that they have facilities just as good to offer but can't get a late licence themselves. As rumours go...

• Advertisement

Deminiman wrote: »
    Apparently they did apply for a late licence for bakers, but coachman and Morans objected on grounds that they have facilities just as good to offer but can't get a late licence themselves. As rumours go...

Maybe with the Posthouse closed it will open up for more applicants.

On a slightly related note does anyone know why O'Keeffes closes so early? I know it's coming from the Guards but why are they so strict in Clonmel. I remember when it used to close at 2.30am with the bar closed at 2am. Now it's on the dot of 2am - last Saturday night the dj actually stopped mid song!

I been out in many rural towns and while the bar might close at 2am, the music usually continues for another hour.

I generally don't go out until 10pm or 10.30pm and most nights wouldn't make it into O'Keeffes until close to 1am. It's not worth going in any more for an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

Maybe with the Posthouse closed it will open up for more applicants.

On a slightly related note does anyone know why O'Keeffes closes so early? I know it's coming from the Guards but why are they so strict in Clonmel. I remember when it used to close at 2.30am with the bar closed at 2am. Now it's on the dot of 2am - last Saturday night the dj actually stopped mid song!

I been out in many rural towns and while the bar might close at 2am, the music usually continues for another hour.

I generally don't go out until 10pm or 10.30pm and most nights wouldn't make it into O'Keeffes until close to 1am. It's not worth going in any more for an hour.

If it is coming from the Guards,There must be more trouble in Clonmel,than the other towns you go out in....I am not surprised really...I came through there recently at club closing time...and I wouldn't like to walk down the town..well the night I was passing anyway.It may not be that way every weekend night.

DT100 wrote: »
    If it is coming from the Guards,There must be more trouble in Clonmel,than the other towns you go out in....I am not surprised really...I came through there recently at club closing time...and I wouldn't like to walk down the town..well the night I was passing anyway.It may not be that way every weekend night.

It's definitely not worse than other places I go out in! They just seem to be very strict here. I suppose if it's working fair enough but it just means people are all thrown out on to the streets when they're still enjoying the night.

On a slightly related note does anyone know why O'Keeffes closes so early?.

I'm pretty sure it's enforced by the Gaurds, their shift changes around 3 o clock and there's reduced manpower after 3, so they're trying to clear the town before they finish. So I've been told anyway..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭DT100

It's definitely not worse than other places I go out in! They just seem to be very strict here. I suppose if it's working fair enough but it just means people are all thrown out on to the streets when they're still enjoying the night.

Yes I understand what you mean alright about been put out when the night is going well..Maybe its the number of Guards they have available to patrol the street..it could be cutbacks:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Went out the other day to check our water meter that was installed when our house was built in 06 to discover that the meter was gone and a cap put in its place has this happened anyone else or am I loosing my mind?

I think it's good news for South Tipperary! Most employees probably live around Clonmel and will just drive to Fethard instead now. So most money will probably stay in Clonmel but some local shops (particularly petrol stations and convenience stores) in Fethard will get a lift as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

Anyone know when they will be recruiting and what roles they are looking for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

F34 wrote: »
    Went out the other day to check our water meter that was installed when our house was built in 06 to discover that the meter was gone and a cap put in its place has this happened anyone else or am I loosing my mind?
    All those old meters are going to be replaced anyway aren't they.

Advertisement