Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

import restrictions

Options
  • 11-03-2008 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭

does anyone know is there any customs restrictions on importing a compound bow and if so where can i get some imformation on this topic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Yuppie

Hi
    there's none that will affect you ordering one online from a foreign supplier.
    might be opened in customs to see what it is but thats unavoidable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Carebear11

There are certain restrictions on what you can bring on certain forms of transport. The only one the would affect importing archery equipment i beleive would be certain ferry services restrictions on bring arrows on board the boat. This is easy to get around though, as such i think that may be the only restriction on even traveling with archery equipment! Happy importing!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Panserborn

I've bought quite a few bows from the US. 2 second-hand ones and a new riser. The 2nd hand bows (compounds) were no problem, the people sending them just shipped them as a gift - they were bought on eBay but shipped as a gift. The riser was a different story. Bought it new from Lancaster and the Irish Customs slapped a 75 buck import tax on it, wouldn't let me have it til I agreed to pay it in cash!

This doesn't happen all the time, might avoid it by using DHL or something.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

how did they know you had it, did you declare it to them... How did the justify the €75 tax scam they pulled on you..... You must look sus if they pulled you from the crowd;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

tis thed same for every thing Ivan i'd shipped aleast 5 rifle scopes over the last two years and if there is a value on the packet you'll pay a percentage on that i'd never ship by any shipping company like DHL or UPS as every package is checked fully but normal post even express is hit and miss you can get lucky.marking as gift does not always work either but a trick is to get the parcel marked by the seller for a low figure work every time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 3frog

Hi all,
    Thats interesting Tackleberry. But if your newly purchased item never turns up and it was registered at a price of say €5, then you have no comeback from the shipping company in the way of insurance.
    Its topical for me actually at I'm in the process of getting a compound bow from the US for my dad as a birthday present.
    eBay purchase. Not always a good move perhaps. I will check back in and let you know how it goes.

Going to need it put through a press I guess.. It is set at 70 pounds with a draw lengh of 29 inches. The guy must be a good 6 feet tall.
    I will need it set to 27" and I think 55 to 60lb would be plenty for my dad. Its only a light hobby for him though he is quite strong.
    Anyone know where that can be done in the Dublin area?
    I have not been an active Archer in many years so dont know whats where at all.

Thanks

3Frog

tis thed same for every thing Ivan i'd shipped aleast 5 rifle scopes over the last two years and if there is a value on the packet you'll pay a percentage on that i'd never ship by any shipping company like DHL or UPS as every package is checked fully but normal post even express is hit and miss you can get lucky.marking as gift does not always work either but a trick is to get the parcel marked by the seller for a low figure work every time.
    Whats the percentage? You said that UPS and DHL check all parcels ? for Tax?? or whats in them???:eek:

3frog wrote: »
    Going to need it put through a press I guess.. It is set at 70 pounds with a draw lengh of 29 inches.

Bloody ey - that would send arrows through the wall! Be sure the bow can come down to 55lbs (or whatever you want it to), most bows have a maximum and a minimium. 70 down to the 50s is quite a drop.

Ya can contact the fellas at www.archeryshop.ie to press it for ya. Most of us have portable presses as well if needs be.

70lb is not so hard to pull on but its hard to hold of target aiming!!
    70lb is fine for instinctive shooting,, and i am only 5'6" but i'm a stocky brute;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 olymacfoogal

70#? thats not a valley its a fuping canyon! I say boo-urns to over powered bows! theres no need! what are you shooting at? America!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

Legal FITA limit is 60lbs peak weight for compounds. That's both indoors and outdoors. Nearly all the target clubs here stick to that.

That and you are going to destroy targets a lot quicker shooting 70lbs at them short range. Especially if you use fat arrows :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 HansEbert

ARG this is not an equipment Thread!!! haha!

seriously tho if i wanted to get made to order x10s from lancasterarchery would i get nailed by customs?

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭ruiner

usually 50-50 chance really. I'd say get them mailed from lancaster to someone who's living in the states and then get that person to forward them on. Less likely to be stung.

Doesn't lancaster automatically add the tax anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭toxof

Depends! On luck!

I bought ACE's and had no problem. I also bought string material from them and was hit.

Ask the person in Lancaster to mark the package as warranty returns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 alfresco

With the current dollar exchange rate, its well worth importing from the states, even if vat is charged on import. Most arrows are American made, and European and Irish suppliers havnt reduced their prices. Prices now should be 40 percent cheaper than last year! Rip Off Ireland strikes again

• Registered Users Posts: 13 3frog

Panserborn wrote: »
    Bloody ey - that would send arrows through the wall! Be sure the bow can come down to 55lbs (or whatever you want it to), most bows have a maximum and a minimium. 70 down to the 50s is quite a drop.

Ya can contact the fellas at www.archeryshop.ie to press it for ya. Most of us have portable presses as well if needs be.

Ok it arrived!! Ya I know took it darn time.. One PSE Baby G Force Bow
    It came and there was a delivery attempt at 7am at work on the 26th March.. no delivery attempt notice and I was not expecting it so fast either .. IT WENT BACK !!!
    Second shipping was to my home. Knock on the door at 7am 2 days ago and I knew exactly what the noise was about.

So .. I'm not so unfit but still 70 pounds is hard to pull.. thats going down down down.. draw length is a bit long too as I expected..

Thanks for the tip on the guys at www.archeryshop.ie Is that the place in Blessington?
    I'm up that way on Saturday so can pop in. must email the guys.. need some regular out door "not so special" arrows and .. how do I build a target?

I wonder if I should tell you about the devilish things packed with it.. I never imagined possible the few broad heads and barbed heads that were thrown in.. .. not sure they would have been liked by customs but they will only be novelty display pieces now, so not to worry. To be brought out and shown off I expect when people interested in such things come round.

Regarding the tax.. Shipped twice with USPS and delivered with anPost.
    No tax incurred this time. But that's not to say its a sure thing and I may have been lucky it got here at all especially considering the double shipping.

Must find the archery forum here and see what's around for instruction and fun.
    Later

3Frog

Thanks for the tip on the guys at www.archeryshop.ie Is that the place in Blessington?

Not sure if its in Blessington (once I'm outside galway I'm lost with names!) but this weekend there are the National Field Archery Champs and also a FITA in the North so I reckon the lads will be at one of these. But, give them a buzz and see - numbers are on the website.

70lbs is a monster to pull and also illegal in any archery except hunting, which is banned in Ireland anyway. The judges at comps have poungage devices to check all compounders so make sure it comes down. From what I know, the minimum poundage on a "70lb bow" is 60lbs - won't come down further than that without changing the cams (ugh :() so you'll be just on the legal competition biscut!

Good luck with the bow - any Qs just post here or PM. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

Ok it arrived!! Ya I know took it darn time.. One PSE Baby G Force Bow

Nice choice! I have that bow myself. It can be a little fiddly to tune but once it's dialled in you should enjoy it - nice piece of kit. Let me know how you get on at the shop - I need a visit there myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 olymacfoogal

You're local centra or whatever will have all their empty boxes compressed and bailed into a great target. I think they have to pay to have them recycled so they should be happy enough to give them away for free99

If you shoot at them side on ye can rotate it so ye can shoot out the four faces. they last ages shooting recurve at them but i reckon your bow will destroy them a lot quicker!

happy shooting!

p.s its just outside of blessington, ring them tho they will get you there.

Advertisement