Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP Karl Shiels - Robbie from Fair City

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

What happened him, he hasn't looked great on FC recently

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

RIP Karl

RIP to Karl Shiels, it's far too young to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Mod- edited out some personal stuff. Please don't repeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Fair City is awful sh*** but he was about the best thing in it. Its very sad, only 47.

The cause of death hasn't been discussed in the media.... <snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

bcklschaps wrote: »
    Fair City is awful sh*** but he was about the best thing in it. Its very sad, only 47.

The cause of death hasn't been discussed in the media.... <snip>.
    No we don't
    Is it any of your business?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,520 ✭✭✭baldbear

The cause of death hasn't been discussed in the media.... <snip>.
    Jayus would you cut it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Sad news to hear today. Loved Karl as Robbie in Fair City. Very sad for his children and family. May Karl Rest In Peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,304 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Sad news. Always thought he was good in fair city.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,291 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Edgware wrote: »
    No we don't
    Is it any of your business?

I think if the media is going to run a story about a seemingly well know Irish actor dying at 47 it's only natural to wonder if he died of natural causes or what. And what's wrong with raising the issue of suicide anyway? Surely it's better to discuss it rather than sweep it under the carpet.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 nuyil simp

its just a year ago that another fair city actor, Alan O'Neill, died at 47 aswell

nuyil simp wrote: »
    its just a year ago that another fair city actor, Alan O'Neill, died at 47 aswell

Really?..no way..he tried to start on me one night because I called him a cnnt in kind of passing (totally not meaning anything by it)..two minutes later he's ready to bate the head off me..

But yeah, pity about Robbie..he did look like he wasn't well there for a while..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭steve_r

He did great work with Theatre Upstairs. A play he directed is currently running in Bewleys at lunchtime and is well worth a watch.

Clearly someone who was well liked and well respected for the work they did.

https://twitter.com/lennyabrahamson/status/1150845933179035649?s=20

https://twitter.com/BigBoyler/status/1150846746848911363?s=20

https://twitter.com/fmacconghail/status/1150811276987314184?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The cause of death hasn't been discussed in the media.... I think we have to read between the lines there.

I hope his family doesn't get to read this :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭secman

branie2 wrote: »
    I hope his family doesn't get to read this :mad:

Especially as its totally and utterly unwarranted, rest in peace Karl, will miss you popping in and the chats. Never realised how highly you were thought of in the theatre fraternity .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

AllForIt wrote: »
    I think if the media is going to run a story about a seemingly well know Irish actor dying at 47 it's only natural to wonder if he died of natural causes or what. And what's wrong with raising the issue of suicide anyway? Surely it's better to discuss it rather than sweep it under the carpet.
    Only if it is confirmed as relevant though.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭aziz

Met Karl in a pub that my wife was working in,when he walked in the door and my wife took one look at him, thought he was dodgy and wasn't going to serve him until a regular said he was on the telly.
    Got talking to him and Couldn't meet a nicer guy.

Rip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

I see his death notice asks for donations to some addiction treatment place, I wonder was there some addiction he was dealing with that made him look so unwell over the past few months

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭liamoreilly

...I know hindsight is a great thing as such, but seen tonight's fair city tonight (forced watch)...It is clear that he doesn't look the healthiest in it, he is walking slowly, hunched and continually holding things...I dont think it is part of his character, and I got the feeling his speech is not what it should be...First time I've seen the show in awhile, so not sure if it's been like that regularly lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Yes saw it last night and thought he looked extremely unwell, hunched over the whole time, even when he was sitting down it seemed as if he couldn't hold his head up straight and very black around his eyes, surely his colleagues must have noticed his decline over the past few weeks/months, you'd imagine surely someone should have advised him to seek medical help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement