Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Necro's Walrus - Judging Solo

Options
  • 28-08-2020 2:07pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭

3852225-1613575539-87035.gif

What Is Walrus?

Walrus is a game wherein you select music, & other people judge your music. The standard Walrus usually has 1 host who selects all the categories and a bunch of people submit songs (1 per category) and the host judges all the songs in each category which here will be....

ME :D

Why Am I Doing This?

Plain and simple, Walrus is fun. I had a blast running one before and I think I've partaken in all bar two of the ones to current date, and I wanted to give it a solo run this time out.

What Kind of Music Am I Into?

A mixed bag. My faves playlist on Spotify (yes I have finally caved and signed up lol) ranges from country to grunge, rap to heavy metal, boybands to Manson, and much much more. There probably isn't a single genre I wouldn't be able to find an artist or song I've enjoyed at some point.

That said, my repeat list would lean to mainstream more than indie/alternative. And I'm not high on musical ****... if you played my last Walrus you'll know that for sure :D

Anywho that's enough from me. I've decided to go big here.

10 CATEGORIES!!!

I hope with the variance of these that there should be something for everybody in the audience:

1. I’m a Little Bit Country….

As a young lad I spent many the day travelling around the place, my uncles and aunts blaring country music in the car and as such have an affinity for it ever since. Hit me with the best country song you’ve ever heard.

2. And I’m A Little Bit Rock and Roll

Another of my favourite pastimes is to just put on some rocking choons and hammer out the chords badly on my well-worn air guitar. Give me your best shot and let’s see how it goes.

3. A Recording From the 21st century of a Song from the 20th

So in this one, I want a song originally recorded in the 20th century, but it needs to have been released (or re-released) by an artist in the 21st century. Hope that isn’t too confusing…

4. Songs Released Before My Time

For this round I want a song that was released before I was born. NO I’M NOT GIVING YOU MY BIRTHDAY! The magic number however is 1986, so any song released before that year is eligible. Anything released during 1986 or after, is not!

5. Songs With A Clever Title

I’m looking for songs with witty names here, not really any limits other than that.

6. Your favourite Indie Song

One for the alts: Can be obscure, super popular, etc. doesn't matter. Just make sure it is good :P

7. I’m Ridin Solo

Pretty much like me, shaking the shackles of co-judging with Stucifer :P (Just kidding, he was an amazing co-host). I want songs by any solo artist here, exactly what it says on the tin.

8. Pre-Covid Fun Times

In this category, simply hit me with a song that most reminds you of some fun times Pre Covid restrictions.

9. I said a Hip, a Hop, a Hip..

Hip Hop, Rap, Some smooth RnB. This is the category to let loose with some classics (or some I may never have heard before indeed).

10. The Power Ballad

And to finish us off…. I’m not talking crooners here, I want something that makes you clench your fists, drop down on your knees and just sing at the top of your voice. Hit me with the belters folks!

So there we have it. 10 of the best. This could be epic, or it could make me regret my crazy decisions in life just one more time :pac:

No closure date yet, we have other Walruseseseses running and currently taking sign ups so I'll co-ordinate with them and run in conjunction ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

wow, 10 categories, fair play!!!
    I will send you something during the weekend!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Will get some songs into you over the weekend.

I already know my 21st Century 20th Century song, which I thought would be a tricky one, but something came to mind almost immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

a power ballad thats not a crooner, theres a thinker... hmmm

I'm in over the weekend, wee busy atm .....but I am betting you wont like any of 'em :o

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Deja Boo wrote: »
    a power ballad thats not a crooner, theres a thinker... hmmm

I'm in over the weekend, wee busy atm .....but I am betting you wont like any of 'em :o

Bet you I will :D That first category is made for ya!

On the Power Ballad, as an eg:

Chris De Burgh - Lady in Red - Ballad

Bonnie Tyler - Total Eclipse of the Heart - Power Ballad

So along those lines if you get what I mean....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

You won my walrus so you clearly have great taste, this should be easy :pac:

• Advertisement

and selections sent.
    I found these categories really fun and the scope for some of them is very wide, so really looking forward to the reveal!!

Thanks for organising Necro.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

Count me in :D

I will admit that I misread category 5 as cleaver and was wondering a). how on earth did you come with that category and b). how many songs can be out there with cleaver in the title :confused::D

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sawduck

10 categories that must be a record, great categories too

• Registered Users Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

tenor.gif?itemid=10843280

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Ok, all done, but I'm not ready to PM them yet, need to go over them a second...third...forth time....this walrus has become serious business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Going obscure I think for this one. These are popping up fast

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Kolido wrote: »
    Ok, all done, but I'm not ready to PM them yet, need to go over them a second...third...forth time....this walrus has become serious business.

Wouldn't be something to do with this would it Kol ;)
    Necro wrote: »
    And finally, our ranked scoring table:

Name Score
    Kolido 91
    Tammy! 71
    Banjo 69
    partyjungle 62
    kitten_k 61
    MicksJaguar 61
    Pretzill 57
    fixxxer 57
    Electric Nitwit 56
    sullivlo 54
    Homer J. Fong 54
    Green&Red 50
    osh 48
    Mollyb60 48
    Sheridan81 47
    Barney92 47
    Rikand 39

Congrats to the winner Kolido with a massive 91 points!!

2nd Place goes to Tammy! in the end, 71 points in her first Walrus is a fantastic effort

And in 3rd we have Banjo - again a first time entrant!

Rikand gets the wooden spoon but has our love :)

Thanks for all the entries folks, it's been a wild ride. One I'm not sure I'll be repeating any time soon, but an enjoyable one nonetheless.

Thanks a bunch to my co-judge Stu Redman for enduring endless WhatsApps and PMs for the contest.

And that's it folks, that's a wrap from me!

You have that title to defend after all :P

6 entries in so far and I'm starting to get my spotify lists up and running. Loads of time to enter though!

6 entries in so far and I'm starting to get my spotify lists up and running. Loads of time to enter though!

I have mine selected as well, but much like Kol not quite ready to send them in just yet... Want to have another listen through them first for quality control purposes. ;)

...and sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Insies.
    10 picks! You are a glutton for punishment Nec.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Gru

I'm in!

great topics, found some old favourites of mine to throw into them....tough narrowing them down tbh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Category 8 - Necro won't know what hit him :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Gru

Deja Boo wrote: »
    Category 8 - Necro won't know what hit him :eek: :pac:

Add category 5 to that too for us :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,351 ✭✭✭✭Tauriel

6 and 8 were fairly tough to be honest.

The act I wanted to go for in category 6 is apparently classed as 10's pop but I always thought that they were indie so had to use the Google for help.

And when it came to 8 I couldn't remember what fun was :p So sorry Necro, that was a panic answer, there was just tumbleweed in my head :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

I did this in the dead of night so I have zero recollection what I submitted.

Up to 9 Entries now, which only gives me... Oh... 90 songs to listen to :pac:

But I want moar!!! Get yer entries in!

I've had a couple of listens to the Country category already and I've gotta say, it's a fantastic selection so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Up to 9 Entries now, which only gives me... Oh... 90 songs to listen to :pac:

But I want moar!!! Get yer entries in!

I've had a couple of listens to the Country category already and I've gotta say, it's a fantastic selection so far!

FbIa.gif

11 Entries now, still another two weeks minimally to get your entries in.

4 days passed and no further entries :eek:

Setting a closing date for this for the stragglers to get a move on:

Sunday 13th September 23.59

So that means you have 6 days to get your entry in or you miss out!!!!

4 days passed and no further entries :eek:

Setting a closing date for this for the stragglers to get a move on:

Sunday 13th September 23.59

So that means you have 6 days to get your entry in or you miss out!!!!

Forum Games have been a bit slow the last few days, I reckon people busy with everyday life. Have the same situation with my, surlaw, no movement the last few days.
    11 isn't too bad, it would be great though if you could get a few more!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Sorry will try and get mine in tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

What are you looking for with 3? A cover by another artist, or the same song released again by same artist, eg on a best of album?

• Advertisement

osh wrote: »
    What are you looking for with 3? A cover by another artist, or the same song released again by same artist, eg on a best of album?

Either or will be fine as long as it was originally recorded in the 20th century.

Advertisement