Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move from the city

Options
  • 24-05-2020 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

Have you been tempted to move out of the city to a smaller place in the country and work from there or change job. I see many benefits to this especially now.

Consider moving out of city now? 47 votes

No. never consider it.
    72% 34 votes
    Yes. Change to a new pace of life.
    12% 6 votes
    Maybe, sometime.
    12% 6 votes
    Go wherever life, work takes me.
    2% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What city to where?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

No, London is great

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Stay at home

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Zebra3 wrote: »
    What city to where?

I was thinking Dublin but any city say over 150,000. To anywhere else outside a large urban setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Living in the outer suburbs is ****. I wish we had actual (more) houses closer to the city. In fairness Dublin actually has a lot but not sure how much it would cost.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Stay at home

lol brilliant I love it...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Change to a new pace of life, i.e take sh1t pay in a crap job or commute for hrs!

Change to a new pace of life, i.e take sh1t pay in a crap job or commute for hrs!

Is that pro or anti move?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

CONS —

There would be many pros but I remember staying with friends on a farm in a very rural Wexford...

A 20 minute drive to the nearest village with shop / pub / pharmacy / doctor / post office.

Any weather say more inclement than just rain and the roads were dark, winding and completely treacherous, you were taking your life in your hands and it would be a 45 minute return trip just for the milk or whatever..

Recreational / fitness opportunity’s like a gym / cinema etc would be quite a journey too, now I’d have both within an 8 minute drive. There it’s about 35 minutes to each, each way..

PROS —

The quiet was beautiful and the peacefulness of the place was unreal.

it was near the nicest beach I’ve set foot on in Ireland... Fethard

Aesthetically it was just a hell of a beauty spot, cinematic even..

Too many negatives, LOVE visiting but you can take the guy out of the city but...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

There are lots of options in semi rural villages and towns outside the main cities. I live on a farm in North Cork that is 25 minutes from Cork city up a country lane that looks miles from anywhere but I can walk to 4 pubs, a Spar shop, barbers, post office and 3 takeaways in 5 minutes. There is a main town with 2 gym's, swimming pool, lidl, aldi, supervalue and garden center within 10kms.

In summary you can have your cake and eat it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭chosen1

Strumms wrote: »
    CONS —

There would be many pros but I remember staying with friends on a farm in a very rural Wexford...

A 20 minute drive to the nearest village with shop / pub / pharmacy / doctor / post office.

Any weather say more inclement than just rain and the roads were dark, winding and completely treacherous, you were taking your life in your hands and it would be a 45 minute return trip just for the milk or whatever..

Recreational / fitness opportunity’s like a gym / cinema etc would be quite a journey too, now I’d have both within an 8 minute drive. There it’s about 35 minutes to each, each way..

PROS —

The quiet was beautiful and the peacefulness of the place was unreal.

it was near the nicest beach I’ve set foot on in Ireland... Fethard

Aesthetically it was just a hell of a beauty spot, cinematic even..

Too many negatives, LOVE visiting but you can take the guy out of the city but...

You would struggle to find anywhere in Ireland that is a 20 minute drive from a village with these facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Wanderer19

Moved from Dublin, to Navan then to a rural area.
    Wouldn't change it, and definitely wouldn't go back to Dublin, nor would my hubby, who's Irish (I'm not).

Cons - can't get all services, eg Vodafone BB, everything is more expensive. Have to drive to get milk. Senior School is not great, but is in walking distance. Wages are low and poor transport links, which is expensive.

Pros - I work in Dublin, 40 min drive. Primary school is fantastic And within walking distance. Surrounded by towns of various sizes. Beautiful walks.
    Quiet, clean great neighbours. Privacy.

My daughter loves it here, son wants to be out the house more, so not as much, but has said if he had kids he would want to live rural.

chosen1 wrote: »
    You would struggle to find anywhere in Ireland that is a 20 minute drive from a village with these facilities.

Most small villages outside of the remoter parts would have a large town within 15mins drive for most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

Yes!

Biggest mistake I ever made was moving back to Dublin from Mullingar. I'll be moving back down once the restrictions are lifted. NO M50, Cheaper rent, less traffic, less scum, lots of scenic routes to walk, closer circle of friends, local pub with real fire.......shall I go on?

This " I'll never move out of Dublin" decision is costing people thousands and you're going to sit on the M50 for an hour anyway so why not move an hour away? Cheaper rent / Mortgage and fresh air.

I've already calculated a saving of €800 per month and that includes commuting to Dublin although I can get work in Mullingar.

What would you or your family do with an extra €800 per month??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Not everyone in Dublin sits on the M50.

Why anyone would put themselves through that is beyond me.

Get a different job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I live in the countryside, 20 minute drive from Dublin City... I much prefer the countryside, with the green scenery and open space... with a very large garden to relax in. I feel sorry for all the people in the city having to isolate themselves indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

saabsaab wrote: »
    Is that pro or anti move?

Bit of both, there's lots to love about rural Ireland but if you can't get a decent job locally I'd rather a tiny back garden close to where I work than a 2 acre garden with a crap commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I live in the countryside, 20 minute drive from Dublin City... I much prefer the countryside, with the green scenery and open space... with a very large garden to relax in. I feel sorry for all the people in the city having to isolate themselves indoors.

That can't have been cheap, twenty minutes from Dublin City isn't proper rural either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

chosen1 wrote: »

1 village with those facilities within a 10 minute drive, 2 more within a 13 minute drive and a major town within 18 minutes and another within 22 minutes. 2 Chinese restaurants and 4 other takeaways in those 3 closest villages.

6 beaches within a 15 minute drive as well and I haven't even mentioned the rural shops not within a village which have most of the day to day necessities for families.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That can't have been cheap, twenty minutes from Dublin City isn't proper rural either

Could be if you have a fast rail connection or a helicopter!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

BeerWolf wrote: »

You live in the Phoenix Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Ush1 wrote: »
    You live in the Phoenix Park?

Michael Dee's account

• Registered Users Posts: 13,747 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I would just hate to be car reliant, so would always stay somewhere connected

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Petrol Head_Pilot

I would just hate to be car reliant, so would always stay somewhere connected

Depends where you live in Dublin. I am on the Malahide road and to get a bus to Blanchardstown etc I have to head into town first, pain in the hole!

As it stands there is no bus to the Airport and I can almost see it from my apartment. There was to be a new bus under the new english company but I have yet to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

krissovo wrote: »
    There are lots of options in semi rural villages and towns outside the main cities. I live on a farm in North Cork that is 25 minutes from Cork city up a country lane that looks miles from anywhere but I can walk to 4 pubs, a Spar shop, barbers, post office and 3 takeaways in 5 minutes. There is a main town with 2 gym's, swimming pool, lidl, aldi, supervalue and garden center within 10kms.

In summary you can have your cake and eat it.

"pubs, barbers, swimming pools, garden centre.." Where is this EL Dorado you speak of?...

Thespoofer wrote: »
    "pubs, barbers, swimming pools, garden centre.." Where is this EL Dorado you speak of?...

North Cork?

Advertisement