Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

glasso wrote: »
    no way that guy who got punched is anywhere near 40 surely?
    Dana says he's 40 so he's 40

• Registered Users Posts: 54,592 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Drunken man gets cheecky, gets a slap. Big fcuking deal lads

Unfortunately it’s this thuggish chav attitude that has society the way it is.

Please ignore if you were only ripping the pi€s...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

walshb wrote: »
    Unfortunately it’s this thuggish chav attitude that has society the way it is.

Please ignore if you were only ripping the pi€s...

This isn't a new thing. Many people got a slap for giving guff probably going back thousands of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

This isn't a new thing. Many people got a slap for giving guff probably going back thousands of years.

Just to be clear, are you suggesting that McGregor was in the right in punching that man in the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

cletus wrote: »
    Just to be clear, are you suggesting that McGregor was in the right in punching that man in the head?
    He didn't say anything remotely like that. Literally just pointed out that people throwing slaps and people being cheeky are hardly modern phenomenons, in response to what a previous poster said.

I doubt anyone thinks what McGregor did is OK or right. I think a lot of people probably think it's a bit overblown, you'd think he knocked some 90 year old man clean out and left him for dead.

Wasn't Chad Mendes also in trouble at one point for sucker punching someone at a bar?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Thanks Dana

Homelander wrote: »
    He didn't say anything remotely like that. Literally just pointed out that people throwing slaps and people being cheeky are hardly modern phenomenons, in response to what a previous poster said.

I doubt anyone thinks what McGregor did is OK or right. I think a lot of people probably think it's a bit overblown, you'd think he knocked some 90 year old man clean out and left him for dead.

Wasn't Chad Mendes also in trouble at one point for sucker punching someone at a bar?

Except that he also said "Drunken man gets cheecky, gets a slap. Big fcuking deal lads"

Assaulting someone is a big deal. To suggest it's not would, to me at least, also suggest that you condone it in some fashion. That the man who was punched somehow deserved it. So again, I'd be asking does the poster feel that McGregor was in the right with his actions

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just because you think something isn't as big a deal as is being made out, doesn't remotely mean you condone it, and I don't think anyone whatsoever thinks he was in the right, that's just absurd.
    Dana White was pretty much right when he said it happens in bars all over Ireland every day of the week, but you just can't do it when you're a professional fighter.
    It was very low level assault, I'd say your average barman in a busy pub sees it 20 times a week. A dig, not a full blown punch, the guy wasn't knocked out, killed, left disfigured, whatever. Yes, it was wrong, obviously. I doubt it's the worst thing McGregor has done in recent years.

Homelander wrote: »
    Just because you think something isn't as big a deal as is being made out, doesn't remotely mean you condone it, and I don't think anyone whatsoever thinks he was in the right, that's just absurd.
    Dana White was pretty much right when he said it happens in bars all over Ireland every day of the week, but you just can't do it when you're a professional fighter.
    It was very low level assault, I'd say your average barman in a busy pub sees it 20 times a week. A dig, not a full blown punch, the guy wasn't knocked out, killed, left disfigured, whatever. Yes, it was wrong, obviously. I doubt it's the worst thing McGregor has done in recent years.

Grand, your not condoning it. Not convinced about the other poster tbh. Your also correct that there didn't seem to be any serious damage done. That shouldn't be the yardstick we measure these actions by, though.

Too many people on this forum are caught up in either defending or condemning McGregor regardless of the situation.

If you look at this objectively, I don't see how anybody can look at it and say "no big deal".

Also, this idea that this is a daily occurrence in pubs all over the country is a bit of a red herring. Granted I don't get out as often as I used to, but I honestly can't recall the last time I saw somebody punched like that in a pub

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Axwell wrote: »

However, there is strictly no chat to be had here about legal issues or court cases as per the charter.

Hopefully I dont risk getting a ban for this as its a humorous first hand story about a water under the bridge court case and not a pending one.
    The one last year where McGregor got a driving ban for in Naas. Is it ok to recall this story?.

• Advertisement

califano wrote: »
    Hopefully I dont risk getting a ban for this as its a humorous first hand story about a water under the bridge court case and not a pending one.
    The one last year where McGregor got a driving ban for in Naas. Is it ok to recall this story?.

it's fine if it's a concluded case - all the car/driving ones are concluded so go ahead.

just be sure not to go into any "sports star accused" sexual assault ones!

incidentally I know someone told me that they saw him parking up a car during the period he was banned from driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

That Naas court appearance for driving offence never needed to happen!.

In the past once you didnt pay a speeding fine it goes to court summons and you had to appear. But in the last approx 18 months new laws gives the person a chance to pay the original fine even though they get a court summons.

So he was served the court summons to his house. The Guards drove up and the electric gates opened and up they drove.Theres this boom boom boom music coming from the garage when the garage door raised and out came Conor McGregor sweating from the middle of a workout. Thanked the guards for informing him and wouldnt let them go without throwing them a few cases of his whiskey. It was a very awkward exchange as the lads didnt really want to be receiving the whiskey(lets say they may or may not have accepted the whiskey!).

A while passed and he was visited again this time to actually appear in court as the fine wasnt paid and was told you better show now or the judge will put put a bench warrant out for your arrest. ''WHAT?, WHAT? he said incredulously? was that not paid?. Did 'The Dee' not pay that?. The Dee was to pay that... Exited stage left to investigate further. Followed by a court appearance.

Update from the tabloids

Claim that the old man didn't say anything except other than he refused the whisky

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/conormcgregor-pubpunch-dublin-marblearch-instagramtwitternews-18951149.amp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I see Khabib has donated 100k to Dustins charity and Dana matched it.
    Reddit users on r/MMA are also donating.
    Lotta good can be done with that money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭Still Ill

dave1982 wrote: »

Ugh.. Should be a cool fight and all but this BMF belt and trademark are so pathetic. WWE ****e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,626 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Still Ill wrote: »
    Ugh.. Should be a cool fight and all but this BMF belt and trademark are so pathetic. WWE ****e.

I don't think WWE do anything that sad anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭creeper1

BMF is a “one and done” apparently.

However if there is a perception it sells ppv then I can see scope for a whole bunch of acronyms.

How about OTB as one tough bassttard?

• Advertisement

Anyone watch Stacey dooley sleeps over on sky. It's bout parents wanting their kids to fight mma

Mcgregor in court Friday 11th for assault

• Registered Users Posts: 29,483 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

dave1982 wrote: »
    Mcgregor in court Friday 11th for assault

Which one?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Which one?

Slappin the auld fella for not wanting a shot of his muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Which one?

Fairly hilarious that this was a genuine question. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

Anyone else see Bisping popping out his glass eye? I knew his eye was wrecked, but didn't know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

So it turns out that Bisping fought with a glass eye, several times, and nobody noticed.

The UFC, and MMA in general, are a disgrace in terms of fighter safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

Cain Valasquez n Tyson Fury in WWE wrestling last night?haha never see that coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

US2 wrote: »
    Cain Valasquez n Tyson Fury in WWE wrestling last night?haha never see that coming
    Cain pulled out of the USADA testing pool apparently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

derfderf wrote: »
    Cain pulled out of the USADA testing pool apparently too.

He needs to get back on the juice

maxresdefault.jpg

Advertisement