Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chatwalk - Off Topic Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

OldGoat wrote: »
    Embarrising things.
    1) I tripped onstage and fell flat on my face infront of 300 people on Friday (including at least half a dozen boardsies). No pain except to my ego. :o

No no! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

To be fair, I thought it was part of the performance.. Until OG's embarassed head went running back towards the seats :D

(At least you saved the beer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Never spill beer! Golden Rule. And I didn't go 'running' back, ya pup.:o

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yo, just posting in here to see if those wooly caps that hang down at the back have a specific name? Have been looking everywhere, but can't find one. What shops stock them?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Hats! Did someone mention hats? We just bought the most beautiful vintage black silk top hat for a friends birthday. Even the hatbox is a work of wonder, wood, leather, brass and fully velvet lined. Broke my heart to have to hand it over even though I know she'll treasure it.

Is it just me or is the forum empty today?

/Watches tumbleweed passing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Hats! Did someone mention hats? We just bought the most beautiful vintage black silk top hat for a friends birthday. Even the hatbox is a work of wonder, wood, leather, brass and fully velvet lined. Broke my heart to have to hand it over even though I know she'll treasure it.

I always buy one of my friends vintage pieces for her birthday (as she truly appreciates them). And it is quite hard having to hand over the pressie when you almost decide to keep it for yourself. That's when I know she'll really like it.

And she does the exact same thing with me. :D

I intend to take a leasurley shopping day on Friday. Nothing in mind to buy, just a stroll around a few favourite places and a rummage through the shelves. Retro to see if there is anything left of the sale, Harlequin just incase they have managed to find the long elusive Boating Blazer I want, followed by a plesurable hour or two looking in the antique shops for some vintage cufflinks - perhaps I'll even go and drool over some expensive brouges.
    A quiet lunch over a nice bottle of wine then home to start the preperations for a monster night out.
    Life is good. :)

Good grief. 6 threads on the first page about mens hair. Spring must be in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I lost my favorite scarf last night. It had many near escapes over the years, but I always kept onto it, or at least got it back. And now it's gone. Some taxi driver had a rather nice present for his other half this morning :(

Well my bank has informed me that my Maestro Laser card will be changing to a Visa Laser card, meaning I can shop online. Lord save us, as if I wasn't poor enough!

Sorry about your scarf Fajitas, twas a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Which bank is that Twee.

Please God let it be AIB.

I had a Visa/Debit card when I lived in the States and it was so good to be able to purchase online but using money you actually had and not using a credit card, not that I'm bad at using a credit card.

Ulster Bank I'm afraid!

Yeah it'll be good, I couldn't trust myself with a credit card, so hopefully this will work. And I'll SAVE money by buying online :p

You'll have to buy something nice to pin your shiny new Mods badge too. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

Twee. wrote: »
    Well my bank has informed me that my Maestro Laser card will be changing to a Visa Laser card, meaning I can shop online. Lord save us, as if I wasn't poor enough!

I think I have to open an Ulster Bank account now...

Sad days for the student, I have been forced not to buy new things but did pick up a lovely Berschka denim mini in a rich green last week in the second hand shop..really quirky colour to go with my 'I'm being bold and all for primary colours because cream and peach shades that are out in shops don't suit me!' phase. Yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭fonpokno

I've made a promise to myself that I will start wearing more dresses and skirts this year. I will. I am determined. But I have no money to buy them. I can't even afford Penneys clothes at this stage, I must start hunting through charity shops!

fonpokno wrote: »
    I've made a promise to myself that I will start wearing more dresses and skirts this year. I will. I am determined. But I have no money to buy them. I can't even afford Penneys clothes at this stage, I must start hunting through charity shops!

Find out what days they get stock in. There is one second hand shop in Galway which is great, the two ladies who run it are very (and in a lovely old lady way) very particular, and treat it like a boutique with pre loved clothes! They get their stock in on Tuesdays I think, so very worthwhile going to them. Saw them one day fitting an elderly gentleman out in a smart suit which must have been expensive originally as it looked like a perfect fit. They even alter if you ask nicely!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭insert-gear

Whats the name of said charity shop?

Whats the name of said charity shop?

Well it's in Galway which is probably useless for most of ye! But it's the Simon sho on the Sea Road near the Jes...
    Actually there is meant to be a vintage/preloved shop above the Go Dutch flower shop in Salthill, just remembered. Might take a look

Resurrecting this thread again for fear it will get lost!

Stuck my head round the door of New Look today and can't get over how much beige/cream/peach/coral clothes there are about! They really don't suit me and can't see them suiting most of the Irish population (maybe it's why some people are mad into the fake tan).

I'd love something nice to wear this weekend but couldn't really find anything that wasn't peach, floral and round necked.

The Nautical stuff just seems to be doing another comeback (wasn't it in last year as well?)

Anyways...

Been trying to think what my style says about me..If i say someone wearing the clothes I did, I think about what I would think of them...what does yours say about you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Resurrecting this thread again for fear it will get lost!

Stuck my head round the door of New Look today and can't get over how much beige/cream/peach/coral clothes there are about! They really don't suit me and can't see them suiting most of the Irish population (maybe it's why some people are mad into the fake tan).

I'd love something nice to wear this weekend but couldn't really find anything that wasn't peach, floral and round necked.

I noticed that too. I was looking for something for my birthday and was horrified when I first walked in! I have pale, pink toned skin - I can't get away with those colours!

Faith wrote: »
    I noticed that too. I was looking for something for my birthday and was horrified when I first walked in! I have pale, pink toned skin - I can't get away with those colours!

Same skin tone as me then! Nightmare. And I'm really in the mood for new clothes too :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Same skin tone as me then! Nightmare. And I'm really in the mood for new clothes too :(

Rummage around if you have the time. I actually found a few beautiful things in there over the last few weeks. Upstairs in Cork, there's loads of concessions which have lovely clothes too. If they have them in your New Look, they're well worth a look. The only downside is there's no discount on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Sure Nautical has come in every summer for the last 4 years at least.

I love the cream and pink colours but Im in the same pasty boat as everyone else. Im going to put some darker coloured cardigans/blazers with them to try and make it work.

I bloody hate florals though. Going to have to stick out another 6 months of them (and then it'll be time for sequins again grrrr)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I went on holidays to a hot country last week and I had to make do with the pale pastels that are around at the moment. :( Made me look washed out.

On the plus side, drinking in the afternoon + not being able to find my credit card = no spending loads of money on clothes. \o/

janeybabe wrote: »
    not being able to find my credit card = no spending loads of money on clothes. \o/
    Vicarious shopping spree FAIL. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Vicarious shopping spree FAIL. :(

Sometimes the gas bill has to be a priority. :( Plus food. Food is very very important to me.

Made the mistake of going into the Arnotts Extra shop in the Illac centre with the girlies during their re-location sale. :( Credit card meltdown.
    I'm off to the pub to console myself with the last of my cash and a rugby match on the telly.

• Advertisement

Am heading out into the wilds of the countryside to a place called Kildare. It's a county built around a shopping outlet village apparently.

Anyway, it's my first visit. Is there much of interest for men or am I facing carrying 30 bags for her and none for me (again :rolleyes:).

I should really look this up myself but Meh, thats why we have this place. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Might be a bit late now but I thought it was decent.

It depends what you're looking for but I picked up a couple of nice double cuff shirts and cufflinks in Savoy Taylors Guild and a nice Lacoste sweater.

Jaeger had some nice shirts and Calvin Klein had some very good value jeans.
    I wasn't impressed with the Ralph Lauren store, despite its size.

Overall I'd consider it quite good for smart or business casual wear but lacking if it's mens formal wear you're after - particularly for a man of your discerning taste in suits ;)

Ooooh shirts! I like shirts. Thanks for the heads up. :)

I was in Pink on Dawson St before valentines day and they had very nice shirts that they said they were sending out to the Kildare outlet.

Love what Thomas Pinks do with shirts - apart from the slim-fit thing.

Have to say I love slim fit. Bought a lovely one in Lewins for the OH (on your inspiration). Hes a dapper wee boy though so hes built for slim fit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Vinta81

I'd love to do a swap shop type thing on here. I've a few dresses/tops I want to get rid of! Most unworn/impulse purchases lol.

That would be a great idea actually!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Mod Edit: Deleated links to the spammed blog.
    Ta Michellenman. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Anyone going to Ladies Day Punchestown this year? Think I'm gonna, have never been and the possibility of winning a grand (or 10) fashion voucher is hard to resist! Any excuse to dress up... :)

• Advertisement

Oh dear. Banned myself from shopping this month. Did NOT go according to plan! Exams next week :( Very unprepared, but I think I've done well enough in my continuous assessments over the year so I don't need to ace the exams. Scraping by will do me JUST fine!

Good luck with the exams Twee. Have to say that I prefer just one set of exams rather then continious assessment. It's just one simester of revision rather then 4.
    Free cocktail bar tonight! Yusssss. I sense a night of rum based beverages ahead.

Good luck with the exams Twee. Have to say that I prefer just one set of exams rather then continuous assessment. It's just one semester of revision rather then 4.
    Free cocktail bar tonight! Yusssss. I sense a night of rum based beverages ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Hey OldGoat, you double-posted there.

Hey OldGoat, you double-posted there.

My comments are so wonderful they require double posting.

My comments are so wonderful they require double... oh bugger.
    Feck off Smartarse! :o

Heh! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭miss5

Has anyone else noticed how nice the miss selfridge dresses are for the summer?

I was in there yesterday and think it's the nicest stock they have had in a long
    time.

• Advertisement

miss5 wrote: »
    Has anyone else noticed how nice the miss selfridge dresses are for the summer?

I was in there yesterday and think it's the nicest stock they have had in a long
    time.

Being a man, I can't say that I've been looking. I can, however, say that possibly my favourite thing about Summer is girls in Summer dresses! I don't know why.....

Advertisement