Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

A thread for weather extremes that don’t normally get reported

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

19 people were injured in the tornado and two people were severely injured.
    One can see the force of the tornado in this video as it hit a garden.

https://twitter.com/severeweathereu/status/1160239471960481792?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

Failakah Island just off the coast of Kuwait recorded 54.3c on July 31st

1cc8b8dc8798314e40c373867c817377.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I've heard of snow bunnies but snow kangaroos!
    Even these kangaroos get to see more snow than we do!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-49333592/kangaroos-filmed-hopping-through-rare-australian-snow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I've heard of snow bunnies but snow kangaroos!
    Even these kangaroos get to see more snow than we do!

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-australia-49333592/kangaroos-filmed-hopping-through-rare-australian-snow

This is hardly rare happens every year during the skiing season in the snowy mountains funny enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The snow level is described as 'unusually low' at 500-700m in an Oz forecast I saw on youtube. Thats about the same altitude as the Dublin Mountains which as we all know are only really hills.

The fences and gates suggest it is relatively low altitude farmland, it also looks very flat terrain so unlikely a skiing area.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The snow level is described as 'unusually low' at 500-700m in an Oz forecast I saw on youtube. Thats about the same altitude as the Dublin Mountains which as we all know are only really hills.

The fences and gates suggest it is relatively low altitude farmland, it also looks very flat terrain so unlikely a skiing area.

Yep video was taken in Goulburn, which is in the southern highlands and it’s not unusual area for snow just not as deep. You see kangaroos in snow around Jindabyne every year was my point.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 13,442 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Mountain rescuers in Poland say some people have been killed and others injured when a sudden thunderstorm passed over the country's southern Tatra Mountains.

All major Polish TV News channels now speaking only about this. According to rescuers, at least 20 people injured, several dead, not certain yet how many.

Live feed from rescue mission as well as some other photos and videos available here:

https://www.se.pl/wiadomosci/polska/piorun-zabil-kilka-osob-na-giewoncie-relacja-na-zywo-aa-serW-NGfu-CSXq.html

Edit: Latest update from Tatra Mountain Rescue (TOPR) CEO: there were multiple lightning strikes with fatalities, in more than one location.

3 helicopters involved in rescue mission, 4 more on their way to help.

Polsat News live video feed:

https://www.facebook.com/polsatnewspl/videos/743507902768294/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Rougies

Jesus...

https://www.dw.com/en/poland-and-slovakia-lightning-strikes-leave-several-dead-in-tatra-mountains/a-50129785
    At least five people were killed, including two children, and more than 100 injured
    A bolt hit a 15-meter-high (49-foot-high) metal cross at the mountain's 1,894-meter peak and is believed to have been the principal cause of the fatalities.
    We heard that after lightning struck, people fell... the current then continued along the chains securing the ascent, striking everyone along the way

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Update: 4 fatalities (2 adults, 2 children - 10 and 13 y.o.) and approx 100 injured, some of them in very serious condition.

Unregistered Users

Another update.

4 fatalities in Poland, 1 in Slovakia, just few miles south - according to Polish TV, that was a tourist from Czech Republic who fell off a cliff after lightning struck in very close proximity.

More than 150 injured. Burns, bruises, head injuries etc, 3 most injured had a number of surgeries overnight, they're all in stable condition.

And still, 9 people unaccounted for.

Edit: 11:15 am local time: number of unaccounted for dropped to 5.

Unregistered Users

Still 3 unaccounted for.

157 injured in total. 34 remain in hospitals. Apart from aforementioned injuries, many have serious anomalies in their ECG diagrams, that's obvious result of electric shock caused by strike.

It looks like number of fatalities is unlikely to increase, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

My colleague was up the mountain at the time and starting to come down. Saw the strike about 2 kms away, followed afterwards by rescue helicopters and vehicles. Down at the bottom there were several road closures. He was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭SeaBreezes

Heartbreaking. Deepest sympathies to all involved.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭Bsal

• Registered Users Posts: 17,812 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

https://electroverse.net/moscow-shivers-through-its-coldest-summer-in-recorded-history-in-over-150-years-of-data/

Muscovites are shivering-through what will almost certainly be (with less than 2 days to go) their coldest August in recorded history. Furthermore, daily all-time low temperature records continue to fall across the Russian Federation, joining the myriad already set in 2019.

The coldest August in record-books stretching back over 150 years is currently gripping the city, with an average air temperature of just 12C (53.6F) –some 6C below the norm– being reported by themoscowtimes.com.

Moscow’s previous coldest August was way back in 1884, when the average air temperature for the month was 4C below the norm.

According to www.hmn.ru, this August in Moscow has been characterized by unusual weather in terms of not only the cold, but also of abundant rainfall and a chronic lack of sunshine.

In addition, many daily all-time low temperature records have been tumbling across Russia of late, particularly in eastern regions, with the latest being on Kolguev Island, where the low of -1.6C (29.1F) observed on August 26 comfortably busted the old record of 0.5C (32.9F) set 36 years ago

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Some interesting developments in the Antarctic in the last few weeks with a sudden stratospheric warming event.

https://twitter.com/NiwaWeather/status/1171226242416140289

Have a gander at earth.nullschool (before it changes)

That's 11C instead of the usual -40 (or lower)

The air above Antarctica is suddenly getting warmer – here’s what it means for Australia
    Record warm temperatures above Antarctica over the coming weeks are likely to bring above-average spring temperatures and below-average rainfall across large parts of New South Wales and southern Queensland.

The warming began in the last week of August, when temperatures in the stratosphere high above the South Pole began rapidly heating in a phenomenon called “sudden stratospheric warming”.

source

https://twitter.com/PGrasics/status/1171479552687669248

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Not exactly "severe weather" in the dramatic sense, but here in Central France, we're suffering a prolonged and intense drought. About one fifth of the country is currently subject to "crisis" regulations - no (fresh) water to be used for anything other than firefighting, drinking and healthcare purposes. The ban extends to agricultural use - i.e. even farmers are not allowed water their crops. I have the capacity to store 1000l of rain-water - it's all gone. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,721 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Not exactly "severe weather" in the dramatic sense, but here in Central France, we're suffering a prolonged and intense drought. About one fifth of the country is currently subject to "crisis" regulations - no (fresh) water to be used for anything other than firefighting, drinking and healthcare purposes. The ban extends to agricultural use - i.e. even farmers are not allowed water their crops. I have the capacity to store 1000l of rain-water - it's all gone. :(

A bad drought is severe weather, that is severe...

RobertKK wrote: »
    A bad drought is severe weather, that is severe...

Try telling that to my visitors! They all think it's great: temperatures in the mid to high 20s every day, barely a drop of rain and anything that falls evaporates within minutes, hardly a whisper of a breeze (the windmills on our new local windfarm haven't moved more than a quarter turn in three months) - so perfect weather for a holiday ... but devastating for my fruit and veg. :(

On the plus side: I have home-made raisins this year! Seriously - I had a great crop of grapes on a single vine, but nowhere near enough water to get them to maturity, so I thinned out the bunches aggressively and have about a kilo drying on my south-faching windowsill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Sadly, no real rain forecast for central France until at least the weekend after next. Some shallow lows might develop from time to time up until then that might or might not trigger a shower or two but that's about it. We'll try and keep you updated with the charts on any potential.

New Moon

I appreciate the gesture, although as someone who would like to be self-sufficient in fruit & veg, I'm in the habit of keeping a close eye on the forecast myself (usually watching out for frost, or strong wind, or three dry days in row so that I can mow the grass!)

Hey - there's another positive: I've saved a fortune on petrol this summer. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Sorry for going off topic but I find that amazing given how wet we have been here in Athenry this August.
    If these changes in climate become the norm, I wonder how much rain water would you need to collect in order to be self sufficient in future?

I wonder how much rain water would you need to collect in order to be self sufficient in future?

That's something of a "piece of string" question - for gardening purposes, it all depends on what area you're cultivating, and what plants you're growing, what the soil is like, and (of course) what exactly the weather does. In previous years, we've had full weeks - even fortnights - without any rain, but then get a good thunderstorm and the rainwater butts are filled to overflowing in two hours.

This year, there's just been no rain worth talking about since the beginning of June, and low humidity every day that's great for drying the washing (or the sweat off your back :p) but terrible for the soil.

My neighbour told me this evening that the warnings & restrictions in the next département to the south (starting 2km from me) have been upgraded from "crisis" to "beyond crisis" as the drought is now affecting groundwater. This matches stories I heard a couple of weeks ago from people in that area describing areas of woodland that are dying. It takes a lot to kill a 200-year-old oak.

32°C this afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

A bit further south, heavy rainfalls possible later today on French riviera coast around Nice, radar shows strong activity moving in from the Med.

Some drought relief further north during the next week to ten days (appears to begin around Tuesday in central France)

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs-legacy/accumulation-precipitations/240h.htm

'Twill be welcome, but probably the perfect "too little, too late" scenario*. About 40mm total over 10 days for my area, which I suspect will do more harm than good as far as plant/crop growth is concerned. I have a crude rig in place at the moment that's showing surface evaporation at about 15mm per day. Even if the temperatures are lower next week, the wind will probably maintain the drying effect, so very little of rain will end up more than 1cm below the surface ... :(

Two big forest fires in this département in the last two weeks, and half a dozen in the adjacent départements, something I haven't seen in the fifteen years I've been living here.

*Edit: seems the Bureau de recherches géologiques et minières (BRGM) are of the same opinion. :pac: From an article today on Le Figaro (in French):
    The precipitation forecast for September - in particular from this weekend - "will not significantly add to the water table" according to the BRGM, which points out that this rain will either be captured by vegetation, or will end as run-off from torrential downpours and not infiltrate as far as the water table.

The rest of the article reports an exceptional 30 days without rain in Paris, 77 days without rain in the département Indre-et-Loire (next one up and to the west of me), and that some farmers have already used up 4 months worth of their winter feed. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

How close are you to Bergerac? I was there for a couple of days back in my travelling days (1974 sadly). Lovely people and countryside. I'm guessing you're a bit north of there.

• Advertisement

Oh, well north: about 300km! :) Checked out that part of the country before moving (during the 2003 heatwave, as it happens), but decided it would be too hot, even in a good year. Culturally and geographically/meterologically we're in a transistion zone between the north and the south, which in previous years has meant that we rarely suffer any of the "normal" extreme weather events that afflict either the great central plain to the north or the Massif Central to the south. Sometimes it's quite bizzare - on one occasion, all the school buses were cancelled due to heavy snow overnight in the département, but seeing as there were dry roads outside, bright sunshine, and double-figure temperatures at 7am, we didn't even think to listen to the radio for the alert. Spent a good half hour waiting with the neighbours waiting for a phantom ride! (The local government changed the go/no-go system after that débacle).

Advertisement