Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
10-01-2019, 20:53   #1
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
Issues With OMC / Student Apartment

I own an apartment on the top floor in a block the ceiling has become stained and water is coming through from the loft to the bathroom via the bathroom extractor fan. Initially the OMC claimed my fan was not strong enough and hence was taking steam up but it became water when it left my bathroom and came back in via leaks on the loft side of the ceiling and returned to the bathroom as water via the fan it had just traveled up. I had the fan tested and it was ok. Now the OMC say it is not the fan but an act of god caused by a cold loft area, and they will not repair said fault or the staining to my ceiling. I have ceased payments to the OMC ...what else can I do
beaufoy is offline  
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:03   #2
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
WI-FI

Please inform me how long would it usually take to refurbish a Wi-fi system in a 200 apartment (blocks of 4) student village. I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
beaufoy is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:09   #3
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
If you are paying for a service and it isn’t provided, then you may be entitled to a refund of the fee you paid for that service. But suing because you failed your exams might be a stretch. I’d be interested in your solicitor’s response.
Dav010 is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:13   #4
LessOutragePlz
Registered User
 
LessOutragePlz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
Would the students not have plenty of other internet access points on campus? Thus giving them ample opportunities to study and acquire the relevant study materials that they require. Therefore, I'd be highly doubtful as to whether they would be entitled to any compensation at all.
LessOutragePlz is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:22   #5
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
So if I offered accommodation in a secure up market apartment block. Which also had a swimming pool gym lift and gardens, and the fees ran as follows
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro


Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my tenant trying to defend his property


Then according to you he should only receive a 50 euro refund

Last edited by beaufoy; 10-01-2019 at 21:36.
beaufoy is offline  
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:26   #6
amcalester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
So if I offered accommodation in a secure up market apartment block. Which also had a swimming pool gym lift and gardens, and the fees ran as follows
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro


Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my person trying to defend my property


Then according to you I should only receive a 50 euro refund
Can you show negligence on the part of the landlord and was it reasonably foreseeable that by upgrading the WiFi students would fail their exams?

And, what did you do to minimize your losses? Sure as hell didn’t study.
amcalester is offline  
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:30   #7
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessOutragePlz View Post
Would the students not have plenty of other internet access points on campus? Thus giving them ample opportunities to study and acquire the relevant study materials that they require. Therefore, I'd be highly doubtful as to whether they would be entitled to any compensation at all.

The apartment is 1 km off campus and the walk is not safe at night, of course ladies could get hurt because they have to walk to/from college because there is no WI-FI in the apartment they rented because their web site said it had a good wi-fi system
beaufoy is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:30   #8
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
So if I offered accommodation in a secure up market apartment block. Which also had a swimming pool gym lift and gardens, and the fees ran as follows
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro


Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my person trying to defend my property


Then according to you I should only receive a 50 euro refund
WiFi provides for faster internet access in your home, I’m not sure you could claim is caused you to fail your exams, particularly if it is available on campus.

Assault and WiFi aren’t really comparable, are they?
Dav010 is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:35   #9
gctest50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 8,694
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
Please inform me how long would it usually take to refurbish a Wi-fi system in a 200 apartment (blocks of 4) student village. I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
They should just have sense and install data sockets beside the leccy sockets in the rooms instead


Break socket ? you pay for it
gctest50 is offline  
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:43   #10
Graham
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 10,124
Mod Note

Threads merged.
Graham is online now  
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:45   #11
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
WiFi provides for faster internet access in your home, I’m not sure you could claim is caused you to fail your exams, particularly if it is available on campus.

Assault and WiFi aren’t really comparable, are they?

I suspect to a high study student loss of WI FI is probably more important than security, pool, gardens ect ect
beaufoy is offline  
10-01-2019, 21:47   #12
amcalester
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
I suspect to a high study student loss of WI FI is probably more important than security, pool, gardens ect ect
But more important than all those is actually getting the books out and studying.
amcalester is offline  
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:49   #13
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
I suspect to a high study student loss of WI FI is probably more important than security, pool, gardens ect ect
If a high study student means one that is studying a course which requires a lot of intelligence, I’m confident that student would be able to arrange to access WiFi on and off campus.

As a matter of interest, are you the student, the parent or the landlord?
Dav010 is offline  
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 07:38   #14
beaufoy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
WiFi provides for faster internet access in your home, I’m not sure you could claim is caused you to fail your exams, particularly if it is available on campus.

Assault and WiFi aren’t really comparable, are they?

You of course are correct: If someone fails an examination because they were deprived of promised studying facilities. Then it is more likely to have a long term effect on said person than a basic assault would
beaufoy is offline  
11-01-2019, 08:19   #15
Dav010
Registered User
 
Dav010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
You of course are correct: If someone fails an examination because they were deprived of promised studying facilities. Then it is more likely to have a long term effect on said person than a basic assault would
If the apartment promised a biro and one wasn’t provided, could you claim you failed your exams because you had nothing to write with? Or being a third level student would you source another biro?

If the WiFi was bad over an extended period, surely you would go somewhere where there is good WiFi to download/research? Did all students living there fail exams because of poor WiFi?
Dav010 is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search