Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

10-01-2019, 20:53   #1
beaufoy

Issues With OMC / Student Apartment

I own an apartment on the top floor in a block the ceiling has become stained and water is coming through from the loft to the bathroom via the bathroom extractor fan. Initially the OMC claimed my fan was not strong enough and hence was taking steam up but it became water when it left my bathroom and came back in via leaks on the loft side of the ceiling and returned to the bathroom as water via the fan it had just traveled up. I had the fan tested and it was ok. Now the OMC say it is not the fan but an act of god caused by a cold loft area, and they will not repair said fault or the staining to my ceiling. I have ceased payments to the OMC ...what else can I do
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:03   #2
beaufoy

WI-FI

Please inform me how long would it usually take to refurbish a Wi-fi system in a 200 apartment (blocks of 4) student village. I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
10-01-2019, 21:09   #3
Dav010

If you are paying for a service and it isn’t provided, then you may be entitled to a refund of the fee you paid for that service. But suing because you failed your exams might be a stretch. I’d be interested in your solicitor’s response.
10-01-2019, 21:13   #4
LessOutragePlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaufoy View Post
I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
Would the students not have plenty of other internet access points on campus? Thus giving them ample opportunities to study and acquire the relevant study materials that they require. Therefore, I'd be highly doubtful as to whether they would be entitled to any compensation at all.
10-01-2019, 21:22   #5
beaufoy

So if I offered accommodation in a secure up market apartment block. Which also had a swimming pool gym lift and gardens, and the fees ran as follows
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro

Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my tenant trying to defend his property

Then according to you he should only receive a 50 euro refund

Last edited by beaufoy; 10-01-2019 at 21:36.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:26   #6
amcalester

Quote:
So if I offered accommodation in a secure up market apartment block. Which also had a swimming pool gym lift and gardens, and the fees ran as follows
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro

Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my person trying to defend my property

Then according to you I should only receive a 50 euro refund
Can you show negligence on the part of the landlord and was it reasonably foreseeable that by upgrading the WiFi students would fail their exams?

And, what did you do to minimize your losses? Sure as hell didn’t study.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:30   #7
beaufoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessOutragePlz View Post
Would the students not have plenty of other internet access points on campus? Thus giving them ample opportunities to study and acquire the relevant study materials that they require. Therefore, I'd be highly doubtful as to whether they would be entitled to any compensation at all.

The apartment is 1 km off campus and the walk is not safe at night, of course ladies could get hurt because they have to walk to/from college because there is no WI-FI in the apartment they rented because their web site said it had a good wi-fi system
10-01-2019, 21:30   #8
Dav010

Quote:
pool/gym 100 pcm
gardens 50 euro
security 50 euro

Then I failed to maintain the cctv and cut down the security guards, and said cuts caused a break in and injury to my person trying to defend my property

Then according to you I should only receive a 50 euro refund
WiFi provides for faster internet access in your home, I’m not sure you could claim is caused you to fail your exams, particularly if it is available on campus.

Assault and WiFi aren’t really comparable, are they?
10-01-2019, 21:35   #9
gctest50

Quote:
Please inform me how long would it usually take to refurbish a Wi-fi system in a 200 apartment (blocks of 4) student village. I believe if students rent an apartment in a student village on the understanding it has WIFI, and the WI-Fi fails to work properly causing interference to student studies thus causing the student to fail. Then the student would have a case for compensation, but who should the student sue the OMC, the LL,or the WI-FI instaler
They should just have sense and install data sockets beside the leccy sockets in the rooms instead

Break socket ? you pay for it
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 21:43   #10
Graham

Mod Note

Threads merged.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:45   #11
beaufoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post
WiFi provides for faster internet access in your home, I’m not sure you could claim is caused you to fail your exams, particularly if it is available on campus.

I suspect to a high study student loss of WI FI is probably more important than security, pool, gardens ect ect
10-01-2019, 21:47   #12
amcalester

Quote:
I suspect to a high study student loss of WI FI is probably more important than security, pool, gardens ect ect
But more important than all those is actually getting the books out and studying.
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 21:49   #13
Dav010

Quote:
If a high study student means one that is studying a course which requires a lot of intelligence, I’m confident that student would be able to arrange to access WiFi on and off campus.

As a matter of interest, are you the student, the parent or the landlord?
Thanks from:
11-01-2019, 07:38   #14
beaufoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav010 View Post

You of course are correct: If someone fails an examination because they were deprived of promised studying facilities. Then it is more likely to have a long term effect on said person than a basic assault would
11-01-2019, 08:19   #15
Dav010

Quote:
You of course are correct: If someone fails an examination because they were deprived of promised studying facilities. Then it is more likely to have a long term effect on said person than a basic assault would
If the apartment promised a biro and one wasn’t provided, could you claim you failed your exams because you had nothing to write with? Or being a third level student would you source another biro?

If the WiFi was bad over an extended period, surely you would go somewhere where there is good WiFi to download/research? Did all students living there fail exams because of poor WiFi?
Thread Closed