Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-01-2019, 18:42   #61
2013Lara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
I just put in Wicklow Town and Bray into google maps and let it choose the centre points. It took the town hall in bray as the starting point and the Super Valu on Wicklow Town's main street.

It's still 22 minutes if I pick the same starting location in Wicklow Town and ending location as Kilcroney Furniture. 7 minutes difference which is roughly 50% off.
We'll agree to disagree. Standing in my kitchen now and put Carrickmines in and it says 22mins.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 19:37   #62
Eric Cartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtk2018 View Post
Hi, if you had a choice to buy in Kildare, Meath, Wicklow, Louth any of Dublin neighbouring counties or towns , where would you buy and why?
Budget= 310K
Max acceptable commute time = 1.10 hours to Dublin city center
Thank you for any feedback
If you wanted to get to stephens green for 9am on an average tuesday in 1.1 hours then the furthest out you could live would probably be inside the m50.
(3) thanks from:
09-01-2019, 19:45   #63
Spanish Eyes

I live within 15 minutes or so from Dublin City centre, so I am really not the best person to advise.

HOWEVER.... my nephew and his wife moved from rental in Churchtown to Kildare Town two years ago. He works in IFSC and she works in Naas.

The train station is a five minute walk for nephew. He says he gets into the city much quicker now, and wife obviously has a shorter commute by car from Kildare to Naas than from Churchtown to Naas.

Just a thought. They got a lovely house for 285k four bed at the time.

Important to have good commuting links I think. Best of luck in your search.
09-01-2019, 21:15   #64
shamtastic

Naas has been mentioned quite a bit (which I agree with, it's lovely) but Newbridge is a good option also. They both share the same bus and rail routes so they are equally well connected to Dublin. I think trains from Heuston are much less delay prone than those to Drogheda etc. from Connolly / Pearse and the journey time / distance ratio probably more favourable due to not sharing the line with the DART.

Naas is great for restaurants and pubs but the town centre has actually been struggling due to all the retail parks.

By Irish town standards, Newbridge is superb for retail. To name but a few it has a big Penneys, Whitewater Shopping Centre (largest regional SC in Ireland I think), and a recently renovated and enlarged Dunnes. They are all modern and pleasant buildings. Most importantly they are all right in the town centre itself so the main street is always fairly busy and lively. Kildare Village is a few minutes away also. With the redevelopment of St Conleth's Park stadium (also bang in the middle of the town) hopefully they can add a bit more life to that end of the street. I believe a bypass or relief road to ease traffic from the Naas side has been discussed.
09-01-2019, 21:16   #65

New dunnes going into the center of naas should help.
Advertisement
09-01-2019, 22:10   #66
Sono

How could anyone suggest commuting from Kilkenny/Offaly to Dublin City centre, that is absolute madness.

I live in north Dublin and commute door to door is 50mins and that is just about ok I find. Anything more than an hour would be a right pain.

Dunboyne is a nice place to live with a train service into the city centre which should be considered OP, not sure you’d get much for €310k but possibly.

Some people on here must love a commute because the suggestions by some are gas!
(2) thanks from:
10-01-2019, 01:03   #67
Muahahaha

Its important to look at train timetables when choosing a commute, for example Newbridge is 45km from Dublin which is a fair distance. However it has a few direct non-stop trains a day to Hueston that take only 24 minutes. This means that while Newbridge is further away it can be a quicker commute than any of the other Kildare towns like Naas, Maynooth, Leixlip, etc. Also there is a certain relaxation about commuting on a direct train over one that is constantly stop-starting.

Its also important to think about proximity and access to the train station. For example if you lived in Drogheda getting to the station will involve traffic for anyone coming from the northside of the town. Same in the evenings to get out of the station car park, there are often long tail backs and then when you do get out you are directly into heavy traffic on the Dublin Road. Stations with bad access can easily add another 40-60 minutes onto your commute every day.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 12:17   #68
bluelamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sono View Post
Some people on here must love a commute because the suggestions by some are gas!
I've also noticed a lot people with ridiculously long commutes tend to lie about how long it takes, how much it costs, and how draining it is.

It's like they are trying to convince themselves they haven't made a terrible decision.

The numbers rarely add up - especially for those commuting by car.
10-01-2019, 12:19   #69
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelamp View Post
I've also noticed a lot people with ridiculously long commutes tend to lie about how long it takes, how much it costs, and how draining it is.

It's like they are trying to convince themselves they haven't made a terrible decision.

Yup notice this too, anyone that touches the M50 and spouting figures of less than 30-90 minutes depending on length and direction are just fooling themselves, unless they're working shifts/flexi etc.
Advertisement
10-01-2019, 12:33   #70
Aaron15

Quote:

How do you know people are lying about the commute? If you've never done the commute, people here Google mapping things to get an estimated time from A-B, when has Google maps ever been correct? And when has anyone ever stuck to speed limits, if you're telling me people stick to 100km on a motor way you are kidding yourself , go up the m7 on any day and you'll see the average commuter hitting 120-150.
10-01-2019, 12:37   #71
Aaron15

Quote:

Quote:

How do you know people are lying about the commute? If you've never done the commute, people here Google mapping things to get an estimated time from A-B, when has Google maps ever been correct? And when has anyone ever stuck to speed limits, if you're telling me people stick to 100km on a motor way you are kidding yourself , go up the m7 on any day and you'll see the average commuter hitting 120-150.
10-01-2019, 12:46   #72
PhoenixParker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron15 View Post
In my experience by listening to them on a daily basis and doing some maths. They get a bus at 730, they get to the office at 840 and you know they have a drive to get to the bus yet their commute is "only an hour". etc.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 12:48   #73
Creamy Goodness

Quote:
sly dig at me?

I actually do a very similar commute to the one I contested. Greystones to Dundrum and am often between Wicklow Town and Bray so I know the commute well.

Also yes Google maps is wrong for me most of the time but it's usually under-estimates. When I use it, I either arrive at the time it says or I arrive after, never do I arrive 50% quicker than it.

Wasn't telling anyone to stick to 100km, just to stick to the speed limit. If you get to 120-150 on the N11 at commuting times I'd be buying a lotto ticket (may not live long enough to enough it though).

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 10-01-2019 at 12:52.
Thanks from:
10-01-2019, 12:55   #74
bluelamp

Quote:
Google maps is incredibly accurate - and it doesn't need to lie to convince me of things.
10-01-2019, 13:40   #75
Aaron15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
sly dig at me?

I actually do a very similar commute to the one I contested. Greystones to Dundrum and am often between Wicklow Town and Bray so I know the commute well.

Also yes Google maps is wrong for me most of the time but it's usually under-estimates. When I use it, I either arrive at the time it says or I arrive after, never do I arrive 50% quicker than it.

Wasn't telling anyone to stick to 100km, just to stick to the speed limit. If you get to 120-150 on the N11 at commuting times I'd be buying a lotto ticket (may not live long enough to enough it though).
Sly dig? What do you mean by that, not sky digging anyone, I just don't understand why people are quick to jump on people saying that the commute can't take how ever long, they do it day in day out, they'd no.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion