Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Post pics of your watches Part II

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Thats a lovely watch CT. What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

Stowa flieger that I bought from a fellow forumite (M's_A)who passed on the price reduction he got on it from Stowa.

540502.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,808 ✭✭✭micks_address

It’s my old watch :) Stowa flieiger which I bought in their used and checked sale and passed on at same price.

It’s my old watch :) Stowa flieiger which I bought in their used and checked sale and passed on at same price.

I did see some folks try and sell theirs on tz forums around same time for a tidy profit

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Fitz II wrote: »
    Cheers for that F! :) Given the state of disrepair I'd bet the circuits are shot. The mechanicals and the stepping motors are probably ok(the latter being the best ever fitted to any quartz imho), but the seller's off his rocker at that kinda money. Three working ones would be around that in an open auction. The one on the right is a rarer type, maybe 5-600 for a working one.

Luckily I got spares a few years ago and have four working watches, two of which I'd happily cannibalise for this particular one because of its rarity and a bit of a sentimental attachment too :o as I looked for one for more than five years, while posters on other forums were telling me they were prototype/advertising only models. Though of the ones out there whose history is known all were owned/presented to Motorola employees, the chipset supplier, so logical enough. I think they were too wacky even for the 70's and especially because those GP quartz were an expensive watch at the time, so people would be more likely to go for more traditional looks in that bracket.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭scwazrh

I did see some folks try and sell theirs on tz forums around same time for a tidy profit

Sure there would be no one on this forum that would try and profit from it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

IMG-20210123-145443.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

'kin hell Frank.

I'm dying to get a Milgauss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,707 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

banie01 wrote:
    Everytime I see that Milgauss I drool

Due to an essential bit of travel today, I got to try on my FILs Daytona today, 116500 ref.
    Absolutely lovely watch but after having one on my wrist for an hr or so...
    I have opinions that may be controversial.
    I think it's too small. It wears beautifully, it's super comfortable but it falls into a strange place between sports watch and semi-formal

You're not the only one. The Milgauss wears small too. Gorgeous watch, arguably the classiest watch Rolex have made. But if you have big wrists and want to wear it as a daily watch, it's just too small. In my humble of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

unkel wrote: »
    You're not the only one. The Milgauss wears small too. Gorgeous watch, arguably the classiest watch Rolex have made. But if you have big wrists and want to wear it as a daily watch, it's just too small. In my humble of course.

I moved my comment over to the chat thread, just incase you are wondering where it went ;)

• Advertisement

Seagull 1963 Panda (RS/HKED version).

540666.JPG

The NATO on my Pamphibia didn't really suit it so I bought this rubberised strap on Amazon from a crowd called 'Spaghetti Cactus, strap up let's go' (designed in UK) for what worked out just under €16 with prime.

540695.JPG

540696.JPG

Feels super comfortable.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can't go too far wrong at 16 quid. :)

Wearing this this again today
    Wibbs wrote: »
    Zenith Extra Special with centre second "complication"...

Thought I'd show the engine under the bonnet and try to explain what's going on.

540688.jpg

A Zenith Calibre 15/16 IIRC. Antimagnetic, 16 jewel with fine cam regulator and Breguet overcoil. Originally with the fourth wheel driving the seconds hand in a subdial at 6(or 9) which had been the way with pocketwatches before them and the vast majority of wristwatches when they came along, because well, it's easy, the fourth wheel is right there ready to drive the seconds hand. You see a few rare examples of early trench watches with centre seconds, often in smaller ladies sizes for nurses. Most of these Zenith Pilot's watches came with the standard subsecond(very rare ones had no seconds), but some got this complication to allow for more precise timing and more at a glance indicator that the damned thing was still running. :D How it works is:

540689.jpg

Where the fourth wheel on the left would normally drive the seconds in the subdial, power is transferred through the third wheel to a seconds gear(that extra gear on the top right), with a spring to keep it under tension, driving the centre seconds hand through the minutes. They have a slightly different less smooth sweep if you look closely enough because of this arrangement. Later on it was actually Zenith who came up with the direct centre seconds we see in all watches today.

Funny enough it was considered enough of a complication that Patek outsourced its construction of their indirect seconds to another movement maker(whose name escapes :o Valjoux/Lemania?). Though for much of their history Patek were actually a high class finisher of bought in movements. Chronographs in particular. They didn't build their own until this century. Longines were the first to bring an inhouse wristwatch specific chrono movement to market in 1913 and were the inhouse chronograph marque for much of the 20th century.

Indirect seconds were seen as such a PITA that you see the evolution of the "Doctor's watch" layout in the 20's and 30's.

DSC09379.jpg

Where they kept the basic subdial seconds layout but enlarged the dial around it. the Rolex Prince another example from that era. The above Gruen is fancy in one way, it has an early date window function.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Bit of snow my way today

PXL-20210124-120016641-PORTRAIT.jpg

That's about the most legible and usable Daytona dial in my humble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,932 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's about the most legible and usable Daytona dial in my humble.

Was just about to say the same thing.
    Far more legible than the 116500, and pretty in white too!

540728.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

That is certainly an interesting piece. A combination of a Panerai with the hands from a Sinn 104.

The hands are from the very earliest of the Vostok dive watches. I see what you mean about the Sinn though.

1509.jpg?content-type=image%2Fjpeg

• Advertisement

That is certainly an interesting piece. A combination of a Panerai with the hands from a Sinn 104.

It's keeping surprisingly good time up to now, under -10 sec/day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Birneybau wrote: »
    'kin hell Frank.

I'm dying to get a Milgauss.

Form an orderly que gentlemen. I'll just have to wait for the Steinhart version.:o

CT you have some really interesting watches, have you done a SOTC photo?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »

CT you have some really interesting watches, have you done a SOTC photo?

Not in the past few months. There's still one in transit from a three watch ****ter splurge. After that arrives my plan is to stop buying in the €100-300 range till I get a 'luxury' watch, might be a Tudor, maybe not but something in that price bracket.
    No plans for SOTC photo, perhaps in the Summer.

Milguass again today. So here's yesterday's alternative picture

IMG-20210124-150324.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

zFP81bol.jpeg

Bluemoon Cocktail Time and a glass of whiskey to help keep warm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Bit of snow my way today

IMG]

It’s a solid gold Rolex. The only one on the forum to my knowledge and probably the only one that there will be for many years given the price direction of these. 25k plus on full bracelet easy.

Prob a keeper!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

70388-E32-6-F7-C-48-F3-9094-FF118-FA8-E10-F.jpg

Two line Sub this weekend.

mailforkev wrote: »

Two line Sub this weekend.

Kev you are so deep into stage 4 now....there is no going back.

Love the Sub, and those pre ceramics are awesome. The two line is the one to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,148 ✭✭✭893bet

Kev you are so deep into stage 4 now....there is no going back.

Love the Sub, and those pre ceramics are awesome. The two line is the one to have.

Kevin you are so deep in level 4 you have your head up unkels arse.

I really like that sub. And I am not a sub fan. If I was to get one to actually wear that one would be top of the list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

X
    540869.jpg

My casio....this is a tool watch doing a job.

PXL-20210125-145655392.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭mailforkev

You need to do a bit of extra work on that left bicep to be able to lift some of your heavy hitters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masi

mailforkev wrote: »
    You need to do a bit of extra work on that left bicep to be able to lift some of your heavy hitters.

No need, he's left handed....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭jordanfaf

My Datejust. Looking for a jubilee bracelet for it if anyone has one they want to shift.

540928.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Well here it is. I've had it a few weeks now, after ordering on Christmas day. A Sinn 556I RS.

A thing of beauty, even if I do say so myself! It really blew me away when it landed, it was exactly what I wanted. The size is perfect for my tiny wrists, and that deep black face with white indices coupled with the dash of red in the second hand. A true tool watch, easy to read and it can take a bit of rough and tumble too.

541051.jpg

Love it. Just felt the size a little small for my 7.3 inch wrist so returned my 556a rs. How do you find the bracelet? Chunky?

Well here it is. I've had it a few weeks now, after ordering on Christmas day. A Sinn 556I RS.
    I have to say A, and if you pardon my French, I fcuking love Sinn. And yours is a beauty. Well may you wear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Love the 556 - the brushed finishing is really fantastic on them. 556a next on my hit list should I choose to downsize case diameter on the 104.

Well wear!

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Batman

tt6JSR8l.jpg

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Batman

Lovely watch. If only it's wasn't 50mm lug to lug.

That handset improves the look of that watch so much in my opinion. I'm really not a fan of the Mercedes style hands that so many companies use.

Wearing my 1915 Borgel cased Trench watch today.

541096.jpg

Early design to increase dust and water resistance. One piece case where the movement, dial and front screw down into the case. You can see one at the top right in this ad from the time.

541099.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

Two of my favourite things. I've had a subscription to Private Eye for a long time, ever since I studied in the UK. I find that what happens there (politically, covid, you name it) tends to happen here some 4 years, 3 months, 1 week and 2 days later. More or less.

BGEVOJh.jpg

Germany calling. Germany calling!!

541105.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,357 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wearing my 1915 Borgel cased Trench watch today

Are you also wearing period appropriate attire there Wibbs?

Well it is an old Barbour oilskin in dire need of a waxing so kinda. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,986 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Always liked them, finally got round to buying one.

50882261962_8c53de8cbe.jpgSeagull 1963 by S, on Flickr

My best friend owns an antique/used furniture and junk shop. He has 3 or 4 cardboard shoe boxes full of old watches he doesn't really want.

This week he sent me a padded envelope with a bunch of gold ladies watches. I like this art deco looking Benrus, 14K, winds up and still runs pretty good. Maybe just needs a little clean-up.

541172.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

NIMAN wrote: »
    Always liked them, finally got round to buying one.

I had one of these for a bit and sold it on earlier this year to one of this flock.
    But I now kinda miss it as it really is a legend of a piece.

Watch by Steinhart, sundial by Lynch.

"This one was made in the mid eighteenth century by Lynch of 26 Capel Street, Dublin. It is one of the few dials in Ireland with a time-scale graduated in single minutes. It also features the names of other cities from Bombay to Rio de Janeiro, indicating the moment of solar midday for them. On the right, the cities of Madrid, London, Paris, and Rotterdam can be seen adjacent to the gnomon."
    https://www.excellentstreetimages.com/in-the-year-twentytwenty/dublin-diary-2020/photo-diary-for-december-2020/horizontal-sundial-by-lynch/

541196.jpg

541197.jpg

This is another freebie junk box vintage watch my friend sent me. The brand is Marmon, Switzerland.

541249.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Batman

That's a gorgeous, is that the 39mm Pablo?

Advertisement