03-03-2020, 14:21   #1
spacekiwi

disinfecting electric shaver

hi all, a friend at work wants to give me his top of the line braun series 9 shaver that he got a few months ago and does not like compared to standard shaving.

He said to change the head on shaver and it would be clean to use like new.
I am iffy about this, and allthou the head is seperate from the body of shaver, i feel more should be done ...should i get barbicide to soak the entire unit first? is that enough to make it sterile?

thanks.
Advertisement
03-03-2020, 14:23   #2
mordeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekiwi View Post
hi all, a friend at work wants to give me his top of the line braun series 9 shaver that he got a few months ago and does not like compared to standard shaving.

He said to change the head on shaver and it would be clean to use like new.
I am iffy about this, and allthou the head is seperate from the body of shaver, i feel more should be done ...should i get barbicide to soak the entire unit first? is that enough to make it sterile?

thanks.
What do you think you'll pick up off it? If it was me I'd just clean the head and work way.
Thanks from:
03-03-2020, 16:27   #3
spacekiwi

Yeah, i could be being a bit of a germaphobe...
Im still going to nuke this thing with dettol and cleaning wipes and barbicide...but was reading horror stories online...but i think they were old type elec razors where only the top foils detatched, not the entire head unit...
Was just hoping to get a nurses or other type medical workers opinion on it...
03-03-2020, 16:31   #4
Augeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacekiwi View Post
........make it sterile?

There are pharmaceutical plants steaming vessels with temperatures north of 121 degrees celcius for half an hour and they don't claim sterility
03-03-2020, 18:44   #5
spacekiwi

Well...safe to use i mean..
Advertisement
07-03-2020, 00:21   #6
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Dettol doesn't kill all germs. Some people use it as grow some pseudomonas species because it kills other bacteria but pseudomonas use the active ingredient as a food source. Also not sure how the chlorinated stuff reacts with the plastics.

I'd probably use isopropyl alcohol or meths BUT any nooks and crannies not reached won't be affected AND it will remove all lubricating oils. Also may affect soft/rubbery plastics.

Look up the manufacturers web site ?
07-03-2020, 00:25   #7
Atlantic Dawn

I'd put it up there with using a syringe from someone else.
07-03-2020, 00:36   #8
AuldDaysul

The series 9 should come with a clean and renew station. It has replaceable refill packs of a cleaning and sterilising fluid. You stick the razor in the station after each shave and it charges it and cleans it in the fluid. The Braun branded refills are actually made in Ireland.

If you really bothered then just buy a new head, about €40 iirc. Check if he has the cleaning station, I didn't think you could buy the actual razor on it's own without it.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion