Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop €500 range

• 08-11-2020 2:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any recommendations for a good value laptop - my current one is on its last legs.

Open to the idea of possibly getting a refurbished high end one. I am clueless with regards to all this, but my budget would extend to about €500

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭gerrykiddy

You should check https://www.adverts.ie/index.php?cat=9. There seem to be a lot of traders selling refurbished laptops and for 500e you should be able to pick up a good looking i5 10th generation with 8GB and 512 GB SSD. Make sure you haggle and check feedback of the seller. Also consider that they require you to collect and to be safe you should. In adverts to can select your county to narrow down the choice. Good luck and if its too good to be true then it probably is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 oliver29

This close to black friday, hold off if you can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

I Recommend AtlanticIT
    https://www.adverts.ie/member/31373/ads

They offer 6 Months Warranty no harm to give them a call.

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Ebay refurbished is what I recommend. Make sure order from European seller so no customs excise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

Have a look on HUKD for Huawei matepad or honor laptop. There's a couple at exactly £500 and they'll probably drop on bf to meet your price. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by the prices on eglobal!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭buyer95

Have a look on HUKD for Huawei matepad or honor laptop. There's a couple at exactly £500 and they'll probably drop on bf to meet your price. Whatever you do, don't be tempted by the prices on eglobal!

Thanks for the heads up. I've never used Hot UK Deals before. You have bought from them with no issues.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. I've never used Hot UK Deals before. You have bought from them with no issues.

It's just a site to highlight deals, you'd be buying from Amazon etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Why not?

vectra wrote: »
    Why not?

Okay do then. Its a lottery whether you'll receive your order

jennyners wrote: »
    hold off until January look for amd 4500u and 11th gen intel the amd is still better
    dell had some 11th gen intel for 630

if you know someone in America i see a dell amd 4500u for 500
    not available in Ireland or uk

some one said Notebooksbilliger in Germany
    has 4500u but you may.need german credit card
    or know someone that lives there
    Or use Amazon.de

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is that a better deal than the one I posted above, which is £70 cheaper?

Tusky wrote: »
    Is that a better deal than the one I posted above, which is £70 cheaper?

Not financially , personally I'd prefer the Huawei tho

Not financially , personally I'd prefer the Huawei tho

May I ask why? Trying to choose between the two.

May I ask why? Trying to choose between the two.

Genuinely I'm no tech head, so it's purely personal preference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭Sr. Pirotecnic

oliver29 wrote: »
    This close to black friday, hold off if you can.

Are prices likely to be lower in the post-Christmas sales than on Black Friday?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_IvrTFbXPBMPS0

This is the huawei Matebook14, which is the same as the honor magicbook 14 that was recommended in this thread. Seems a good deal, hard to know whether to wait for black Friday

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B085YM9K63/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_dlC_IvrTFbXPBMPS0

This is the huawei Matebook14, which is the same as the honor magicbook 14 that was recommended in this thread. Seems a good deal, hard to know whether to wait for black Friday

Yeah I'm trying to figure out whether to pull the trigger or wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,824 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Is the camera on all those laptops located where the F7 key is on the keyboard?
    Wouldn't like people to see up the oul nostril bat cave!

• Advertisement

Panthro wrote: »
    Is the camera on all those laptops located where the F7 key is on the keyboard?
    Wouldn't like people to see up the oul nostril bat cave!

Yep. There is apparently a newer model with the camera in a more normal position, which is probably why these older ones are being reduced. I didn't pull the trigger. Going to wait until BF - hopefully I don't regret it!

Yeah I'm trying to figure out whether to pull the trigger or wait.

Still the same price today. Is that it do we think? I am guessing yes, as it is listed under black Friday deals

Still the same price today. Is that it do we think? I am guessing yes, as it is listed under black Friday deals

Doubt this one will be available cheaper. But there may be better deals. It's a gamble I suppose.

Slightly above my budget, but I see that the latest honor magicbook 14 (the 2020 version) is available for 599 pounds. It has the newer Ryzen 5 4500U, which is a pretty big upgrade over the Ryzen 5 3500U in the previous generation of the honor magicbook 14. What are peoples thoughts, is it worth it? The newer honor magicbook also has double the storage

I went with this one for €535 (using code ASUS10). I used AddressPal for delivery. It's €849 on the Irish Curry's website.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m413da-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10212943-pdt.html

AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor
    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD

Seems a good deal?

Personally I'd be very happy with that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I went with this one for €535 (using code ASUS10). I used AddressPal for delivery. It's €849 on the Irish Curry's website.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-vivobook-m413da-14-laptop-amd-ryzen-7-1-tb-ssd-silver-10212943-pdt.html

AMD Ryzen 7 3700U Processor
    RAM: 8 GB / Storage: 1 TB SSD

Seems a good deal?

It certainly does, aul rip off Ireland again :o

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Unfortunately that ASUS one from Currys UK is now out of stock.

Is anyone aware of a similarly good-value deal?

Leinster90 wrote: »
    Unfortunately that ASUS one from Currys UK is now out of stock.

Is anyone aware of a similarly good-value deal?

This close to Black Friday I would wait and see. Keep an eye on hotukdeals.com and do a search for laptop. The "heat" score is a decent guide on how good the deal is.

This looks a good deal: https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-inspiron-15-3505-156-fhd-wva-ryzen-3-3250u-8gb-ram-256gb-ssd-black-laptop-ps45505-at-dell-shop-with-code-3592503

• Advertisement
Advertisement