Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper Irish Stew

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,443 ✭✭✭Red Sleeping Beauty

YEah I think it's how her ma or her sister would've done it. I've never had it with anything else actually so I always assumed (wrongly obv) that her way was the only way. It could do with onions but as kids we wouldn't eat the onions I think so out the onions went. I think it's a beef kidney soup, she may have used oxtail as well actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tragedy wrote:
    Whats irish stew with beef called?
    Lancashire hotpot.
    Not really ... there's the same degree of controversy surrounding the meat used in a Lancashire hotpot, with the purists coming out on the side of lamb/mutton. It also originally contained oysters apparently until they became a delicacy rather than food for the common man. It's cooked somewhat differently too with sliced potatoes placed over the top of the meat and veg, and in some places at least, served with an accompaniment of pickled red cabbage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

53 posts on Irish stew :D

Got a pot of it slow cooking as we speak.

Will be nice today, but like a good curry, much nicer tomorrow.

Personally, i like shoulder mutton, or lamb. People go on about it being tough, Look, cook the bejazus out of it. Thats why it's called slow cooking. It should melt in your mouth, no teeth required ;)

I browned off the lamb, added oions, leeks, tiny bit of celery, and carrots. Oddly i use chicken boulion (stock), it's a personal choice. Cover with boiling water, lid on and cook slowly for 2 hours. I then add big peeled potatoes (shed loads) and cook for a further hour. The starch in the potatoes will thicken the stew as they cook and some dissolve. Season midway to taste and job done all in one pot.

God but it smells lovely :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

themadchef wrote: »
    53 posts on Irish stew :D

Got a pot of it slow cooking as we speak.

Will be nice today, but like a good curry, much nicer tomorrow.

Personally, i like shoulder mutton, or lamb. People go on about it being tough, Look, cook the bejazus out of it. Thats why it's called slow cooking. It should melt in your mouth, no teeth required ;)

I browned off the lamb, added oions, leeks, tiny bit of celery, and carrots. Oddly i use chicken boulion (stock), it's a personal choice. Cover with boiling water, lid on and cook slowly for 2 hours. I then add big peeled potatoes (shed loads) and cook for a further hour. The starch in the potatoes will thicken the stew as they cook and some dissolve. Season midway to taste and job done all in one pot.

God but it smells lovely :D

Sounds lovely but traditionally the meat was not browned.... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Sounds lovely but traditionally the meat was not browned.... :P

Indeed, personal choice. I know its a white stew so some people would argue there should be no carrots i it either.... but ive seen people thicken it with bisto.. :eek:.

Advertisement