Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keyless theft - recommendation

Options
  • 04-04-2020 11:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I think my keyless entry fob is insecure - it's always broadcasting, so it's susceptible to "keyless theft" (1) (2) (3). I know some cars have motion-sensitive fobs that power down when left motionless. Mine doesn't. I tried a Faraday box, but I'd often accidentally leave my keys in a jacket pocket or on a table. I just found all it a bit inconvenient and I was thinking about disabling keyless entry altogether.

After a bit of searching, I found this "Keyless Protector". It's developed by a Polish company. Pricey at €145 + delivery (a lot more expensive than a Faraday box), but I thought I'd chance it.

These devices are very slim, and sit between the battery and the fob. They contain a tiny motion sensor and prevent power passing to the fob unless certain conditions are met. They consume power from the battery, but I gather no more so than if the fob was always active.

There are two versions. The one I got is "No Tap". Basically, the fob goes to sleep 180 secs after it stops moving, and wakes up again when moved. It's very sensitive, so the fob stays awake unless perfectly still. It protects the fob when left somewhere unused, e.g. overnight, but not if it's in your pocket and you're moving about. It's inconspicuous to the owner, you wouldn't know it's fitted.

The other version uses a "double tap" to wake up the fob. I think it's more secure, in that the fob is protected at all times, even in the pocket. However, it appears more awkward to use, and I read some reports of it sometimes being inconsistent waking up.

I've nothing to do with the vendor, but I've tested this product and it works for me as described. I'd highly recommend it for anybody who's concerned about this type of theft. However, I would also comment that being so slim, it's very delicate. Probably easy to break when installing. And it took me a few attempts to fit, until I worked out how it needs to work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I just bought one of these-

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/RF-Signal-Blocker-Anti-Radiation-Shield-Case-Bag-Pouch-for-Mobile-Phone-iPhone/222732754407?hash=item33dbe81de7:g:MbMAAOSwyP5aGadK

My last car had keyless entry and put the keys into one of these pouches. It worked a treat even right up next to the car, the signal was blocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

bazz26 wrote: »
    I just bought one of these-

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/RF-Signal-Blocker-Anti-Radiation-Shield-Case-Bag-Pouch-for-Mobile-Phone-iPhone/222732754407?hash=item33dbe81de7:g:MbMAAOSwyP5aGadK

My last car had keyless entry and put the keys into one of these pouches. It worked a treat even right up next to the car, the signal was blocked.

Yes, I have one of those and it works perfectly. But I'm likely to walk into the house with the fob in my pocket, and forget to put it anywhere. I also believe that they can degrade over time, possibly as the mesh starts to wear from opening and closing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€145 plus delivery buys you alot of those pouches though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

Thick Chain under the loud pedal through the steering wheel and big fat padlock pull it nice an tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭tjhook

Eoinbmw wrote: »
    Thick Chain under the loud pedal through the steering wheel and big fat padlock pull it nice an tight!
    The only way to be sure is to go further - the full "Mr. Bean" :D

For sure, the thingie I bought is expensive, it's not for everybody. But for me it's worth it not to have to ever again think about if I've left the fob in a secure container.

I don't understand how car companies can still sell new cars with fobs as insecure as mine is. Surely it would cost peanuts to build similar functionality into the fobs to begin with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Me. Channelling Mr. Bean.

508316.jpg

:D

In fairness, not an option with modern cars with airbags and more buttons than the space shuttle.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

biko wrote: »
    tin video

I use a small tin for mints (arguably a large tin for mints) that's just larger than the fob. This is handy as it's pocketable when leaving the car away from home. My car requires the key to be reachable so I just open the lid.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

I use this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Faraday-Keyless-TICONN-Blocking/dp/B07GDD35GH/ref=sr_1_12_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=faraday+bag+keyless&qid=1586100026&sr=8-12-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFKTVhKWTNSTURURVkmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA2MjQ0OTRVVDFHQ1IxWkczUzImZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDM5MDkwMjkyMk1CWVM1SVFGSiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX210ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If you have it in the faraday portion you can't unlock or start your car even stanbding right next to it. Also fits into your pocket easily enough (it probably could be better). I took the punt because it was only £7, but it definitely does the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

tjhook wrote: »
    After a bit of searching, I found this "Keyless Protector". It's developed by a Polish company. Pricey at €145 + delivery (a lot more expensive than a Faraday box), but I thought I'd chance it.

These devices are very slim, and sit between the battery and the fob. They contain a tiny motion sensor and prevent power passing to the fob unless certain conditions are met. .

I have the same device from the same company, about 160 euro and it is for one key only.

Things to note:
    This is for one key only, you need to wrap your spare key in tinfoil. If you get a pouch check it works, mine had zero effect on the keyless entry working or not

If you don't move your keys for a few minutes this basically "disconnects the fob battery". The downside to this is my car will warn you that the key is INSIDE car and not lock, but if key is not detected, it will simply not lock and you will need to try remember where key was left (e.g. back seat, in boot, inside house)

The installing of this device means taking your key to bits, there are a few different sizes for different keys, and I had to bend the battery holder on the key to fit it in fully. Its not exactly a smooth simple easy job. Be sure you have your spare key in case you break or damage the other key.

Consider disabling keyless entry (free). It can be done in some Nissan in car menu, a possible using a dealer tool on some cars, Hyundai does not have a menu option.

I thought 160 was worth it for peace of mind, but I did think long and hard. It comes with a free new fob battery. I may remove it when I sell the car, but as they come in different sizes it might not work. I could sell it used on eBay.

Thefts are getting quite common using this method and typically cars never show up as they are stolen to order.
    North west Dublin seems to be a black spot and cars seem to be brought to border areas.

It does give peace of mind, and during day to day use I just leave my keys on my belt. It only protects car when not moving so in my case only when pants are off.

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »
    I just leave my keys on my belt.

Left side or right side ? :D

Advertisement