Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rónán Mullen tops poll and re-elected to Senate

Options
  • 01-04-2020 3:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭

https://www.irishcatholic.com/senator-ronan-mullen-tops-poll-and-re-elected-to-senate/

Had a double take when I heard this earlier, is it an April Fools!: "Independent Senator Rónán Mullen has been successfully re-elected to the Seanad, topping the poll in the National University of Ireland panel."

Anyone looking at modern Ireland and aware of Rónán Mullen's egregious commentary on social matters must be baffled.

One presumes the graduates of the National University of Ireland are reasonably well educated and informed of such matters, so how on earth could they elect him top of the poll, indeed how could they elect him fullstop.

The only possible explanations I can think of are a) graduates of the National University of Ireland are far more conservative than the rest of society and/ or more likely b) only the religious conservative graduates bother voting.

Anyone else have an idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

NUI Maynooth has a seminary so a lot of priests are NUI Graduates and likely to vote for him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

The saltiness is evident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

NUI Maynooth has a seminary so a lot of priests are NUI Graduates and likely to vote for him.

http://www.nui.ie/about/structure.asp

UCD, UCC, UCG etc? Graduates of these surely would vastly outnumber Maynooth seminarians.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

a socially conservative person, oh no, help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

BarryD2 wrote: »
    http://www.nui.ie/about/structure.asp

UCD, UCC, UCG etc? Graduates of these surely would vastly outnumber Maynooth seminarians.

They would but there’s more than 1 seat and (I think) 19 candidates so a concentrated vote will push a candidate to the top.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

He got more votes than any other candidate, that's why. I despise him but he entitled to the seat.

It's only the senate. Hardly the most representative voting base in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭chicorytip

He has a constituency who agree with his opinions. Conservatives in relation to issues of morality and sexuality, particularly abortion. I belong to that category myself. There are many, many more of like mind out there. What's wrong with that?
    Over thirty percent of the electorate voted No in the abortion and marriage referenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

He got more votes than any other candidate, that's why. I despise him but he entitled to the seat.

It's only the senate. Hardly the most representative voting base in the country.

I fully agree with your statement. However its still funcking annoying that we as a nation are funding this stupid and undemocratic practice

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Only 34% turnout I read. A lot of people just don't care about the Seanad.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

a socially conservative person, oh no, help!

Fair dues to him on one hand if he can get elected from the NUI panel. But I've heard him in full flow and I can think of few other public representatives that are so 'in your face' as regards social conservatism. I'd respect people generally but I find him quite unlikable and objectionable in the way he carries debate.

And would dare say I share that with most moderate citizens of this state. I can only assume that the valid poll for the NUI panel must be completely unrepresentative of and a small fraction of all those entitled to vote. Well shame on those who had a vote and failed to use it.

I say that also as someone not entitled to vote for the Seanad elections but who did vote back in the referendum to get rid of the whole shower of shysters!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

This moron again

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

It good to hear other opinions even if you don't agree with very much they say

Fair dues to him on one hand if he can get elected from the NUI panel. But I've heard him in full flow and I can think of few other public representatives that are so 'in your face' as regards social conservatism. I'd respect people generally but I find him quite unlikable and objectionable in the way he carries debate.

most politicians are unlikable and objectionable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I think his view points represent a silenced sector of society. Their perspective is not aired in the media at all so if there's a candidate who voices their concerns they will understandably rally hard behind him.
    No one else will have particularly excited a strong base, they're all fairly bland.

It's been a strange few weeks. I wonder if overall voting numbers were down because people have been very distracted. I'm amazed that anyone noticed or cared that this election was happening. Leaflets dropped through my door and went straight to the bin I'm afraid.

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Only 34% turnout I read. A lot of people just don't care about the Seanad.
    and who can blame them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Remember when The Seanad was going to be reformed instead of disbanded. I wonder how that is going.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I imagine it's to do with the register. Can't check it online and getting it updated isn't straightforward.
    By the time most people had thought about checking where their ballot was to be sent to it was too late to update it.

Also 7th amendment was put in place back in 79 to expand the franchise, 40 years later and no government has legislated for it.

most politicians are unlikable and objectionable

No you can see the good side in most, even those whose policies you don't agree with. Maybe Mullen has some likable qualities but he's always come across as dogmatic, abrasive and even rude to this citizen. I wouldn't give him the proverbial steam off my p***, let alone a vote :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Increased his 1st preference vote by over 2000, impressive.

An undemocratic, yuppy, mickey mouse institution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I fully agree with your statement. However its still funcking annoying that we as a nation are funding this stupid and undemocratic practice

Have to agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

True, we had our chance to get rid of it and the electorate voted to keep it, with vague aspirations of reform etc.
    I have a vote in it and I voted to abolish it as I resent the fact that I have a vote but my Mother doesn't. It really rankles with me.
    I can't stand the sight of some of them.
    Giving out about a candidate you don't like, topping the poll is a bit childish though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

https://www.irishcatholic.com/senator-ronan-mullen-tops-poll-and-re-elected-to-senate/

Had a double take when I heard this earlier, is it an April Fools!: "Independent Senator Rónán Mullen has been successfully re-elected to the Seanad, topping the poll in the National University of Ireland panel."

Anyone looking at modern Ireland and aware of Rónán Mullen's egregious commentary on social matters must be baffled.

One presumes the graduates of the National University of Ireland are reasonably well educated and informed of such matters, so how on earth could they elect him top of the poll, indeed how could they elect him fullstop.

The only possible explanations I can think of are a) graduates of the National University of Ireland are far more conservative than the rest of society and/ or more likely b) only the religious conservative graduates bother voting.

Anyone else have an idea?

I had the same reaction when I learnt that Paul Murphy, Richard Boyd Barrett and all those looney SF candidates like Violet Ann Wynne (anti vaxxer) and Reada Cronin (anti semite) were elected as TDs.

Do we have a ‘recall’ system like the US?

At least tell me that Ivana Bacik lost her Seanad seat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

I regard myself as politically aware and in tune with the goings on of it.

I've only ever heard of Ronan Mullen when the hard left are having a whinge about him about something. Although to be fair you seldom if ever hear a word about any Seanad member for any reason.

Last I checked this morning it was looking like Ruth Coppinger wouldn't get a seat which is always welcome. I was about to ask if she gets to go back to Fingal CC and get back the seat that waster Matt Waine co opted when she went to the Dail (he of "the Irish tricolour is offensive to immigrants" speech), then I remembered he got booted out in the last council election.

With no elected office and no school teaching to go back to for the foreseeable, it would seem Ruth is now as welfare dependent as the dregs of society who vote for her.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

chicorytip wrote: »
    I belong to that category myself. There are many, many more of like mind out there. What's wrong with that? .

Nothing, until your views start getting imposed on others.

Be as conservative as you like with your own life and let others be liberal with theirs. It wont affect you in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭jimmyrustle

I should point out I wouldn't vote for Ronan Mullen. I wouldn't vote for the majority of them, it seems bizarre that a failed TD can immediately try jump into this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

No you can see the good side in most, even those whose policies you don't agree with. Maybe Mullen has some likable qualities but he's always come across as dogmatic, abrasive and even rude to this citizen. I wouldn't give him the proverbial steam off my p***, let alone a vote :)

I don’t see the good side in Senator Norris with his letter writing to depend paedos etc. Wouldn’t give him the flies off my turds.

I don’t see the good side in Senator Norris with his letter writing to depend paedos etc. Wouldn’t give him the flies off my turds.

But you can look past that and see Norris as a generally warm, engaging, thoughtful & considerate person & public representative. We all make mistakes and have to live with them. I've never heard Norris trying to ram his ideology down peoples throats.

Nothing, until your views start getting imposed on others.

Be as conservative as you like with your own life and let others be liberal with theirs. It wont affect you in the slightest.

you won't get much politics done with that attitude

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

you won't get much politics done with that attitude

God forbid the politics of stopping women deciding what to do with their own bodies or stopping gay people having rights gets interfered with. Wouldnt want to clear up time to actually get important **** done.

Advertisement