Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon or google.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

just ordered google nest mini
    is this shipped from a warehouse in Ireland or will it come from over seas? anyone know

Ordered one yesterday and arrived this morning. Despatched from a warehouse in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

peteb2 wrote: »
    for all the times i need to ask google a question my phone will pick it up anyway and again i couldnt stop the phone answering ahead of the nest. despite following all instructions. And its the usual android kind of approach - with too much of a work around if something doesnt work first time around.

I do not have that issue with any of my 3 Google homes. If I ask a question and my phone picks it up the Google home will still answer

Mine are not set to Ireland btw, you get more features using USA or UK

I do not have that issue with any of my 3 Google homes. If I ask a question and my phone picks it up the Google home will still answer

Mine are not set to Ireland btw, you get more features using USA or UK

Is it easy to do this? Set to US or UK?

Notmything wrote: »
    Is it easy to do this? Set to US or UK?

Set your Google account language setting to English (United States)

Set your Google account language setting to English (United States)

At the risk of sounding stupid how do i? Sorry

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Google it ;-)

https://support.google.com/googlenest/answer/7550584?hl=en

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

just got my google next and set it up, all good so far.

for the kids to use it does google have to learn their voices too, like the steps I just went through on the setup

just got my google next and set it up, all good so far.

for the kids to use it does google have to learn their voices too, like the steps I just went through on the setup

If they want personal integrations, yes, individual music accounts etc. It will work as guest but one issue I had with this is if a guest asks to play a song it will use the main account which was an issue for me when out walking listening to music on my phone, it would stop mine playing.

whats the cheapest way to get nest connected to a music source to play random songs etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭JDxtra

whats the cheapest way to get nest connected to a music source to play random songs etc
    Spotify has a free option but it will contain ads and limits song skips per day.

Hi

Have the nest for a couple of days. Going ok.

Q: when you asked nest something and I know by the lights that it’s listened and then I see it tries to process and just does nothing - stays silent. Normally it would say can’t help you or I don’t understand etc but in this case does nothing. What does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hi

Q: when you asked nest something and I know by the lights that it’s listened and then I see it tries to process and just does nothing - stays silent. Normally it would say can’t help you or I don’t understand etc but in this case does nothing. What does this mean?

That's happened to me occasionally when asking for things like lights to be switched on/off. I just repeat the request and it usually obliges.

vienne86 wrote: »
    That's happened to me occasionally when asking for things like lights to be switched on/off. I just repeat the request and it usually obliges.

Noted. It seems to process it and all judging by the lights, just does nothing.

Hi

Does Alexa ever do stuff like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Does Alexa ever do stuff like this?

Yes... and more.

The one big unnerving thing about the Amazon device is that it constantly triggers, whether you use the wake word or not... It makes you very aware that it's always listening to you. I find Google to be allot more passive, and makes me more comfortable.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Yes... and more.

The one big unnerving thing about the Amazon device is that it constantly triggers, whether you use the wake word or not... It makes you very aware that it's always listening to you. I find Google to be allot more passive, and makes me more comfortable.

so you would prefer google over alexa?

so you would prefer google over alexa?

Yes, I said that previously in the thread:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=113019472&postcount=9

ah ok, right, I dont memorize names etc so forgot you posed already

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I've stumped up for a YouTube Family account, gets rid of ads in YouTube and YT Music, might be a bit pricey but it's well worth it in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

I had an Alexa but got a nest mini to try it out. It has some nice features but it seems to lose wifi connection a lot and does not reconnect. Been in touch with google support but no joy so far. All other stuff works fine with WiFi, just seems to be the nest.
    Going to switch back to Alexa as I’m tired of having to reboot the nest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Yes... and more.

that doesn't happen with any of mine at all. but we use echo as the wake word...

I've a mini or home hub in most rooms. WiFi is mixed 2.4/5Ghz network (same SSID). I've never had an issue with devices dropping off the WiFi.

Mr.S wrote: »
    This is a common fault with the Minis if they are in a different room then the router, try connecting to your routers 2.4GHz connection and not the 5GHz.

on the google home mini or the google nest mini?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I had major issues with minis, a hub and a google home dropping out of my network. They were constantly losing connection and disappearing from my Google Home app
    I changed my network to 2.4ghz only and set them all up again and no issues since

I think it was because the minis were flipping between network frequencies (I was using the same SSID for 5ghz and 2.4ghz) and my phone was flipping too so there was a lot of conflicts which made them seem to disappear from my network but in fact they probably weren’t actually off the network

I also found that moving a mini even by 6 inches ensured it got a better connection as it may have been sitting in a very small dead spot in the network

So to sum up, the nest is not necessarily bad for loosing connection - more so it’s the WiFi itself.

For me, smart devices, speakers, AV, appliances etc. all sit on the 2.4 band and data driven devices, such as phones, tablets and laptops all sit on 5ghz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Mr.S wrote: »
    Always better to have a separate SSID for 5GHz and 2.4GHz - for me, anything in the same room as the router get's connected to 5Ghz and everything else 2.4Ghz - I've found a lot of devices (not just the Google / Nest products) fairly ****e at picking the better / more suitable connection if you are in close proximity the router, but blocked by walls etc.
    For me, smart devices, speakers, AV, appliances etc. all sit on the 2.4 band and data driven devices, such as phones, tablets and laptops all sit on 5ghz

A little off topic and if needed can move to a new thread

Can all your devices 'see' each other on your network if you have separate SSIDs and have devices joining either 2.4 or 5ghz?

I seem to have had issues with, for example, my phone on 5ghz (auto joins the best network depending on where I am in the house) and then the Google mini was on 2.4ghz - the devices couldn't see each other as I could not control my mini from my phone.

Would love to separate devices out to protect my network a little better but concerned I will have endless connection issues between devices
    I have a lot of other devices such as WiFi sockets, heating control, smart bulbs etc that all need connectivity and I like to be able to control from any device such as phone, PC, Google Hub etc
    I have seen recommendations of adding smart home devices to a dedicated 'guest' network SSID but not sure how it all hangs together

Any pointers on how your networks are configured?

I prefer to keep it simple. A good router or mesh network devices (I use Google WiFi), leave everything at more or less the default settings. I've 40+ devices and never have any connection drops. Works for me, and I'd prefer this setup rather than making it to complex and potentially introducing other issues.

• Advertisement
Advertisement