Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced annual leave

Options
  • 31-03-2020 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 31

My employer has asked me to take 7 days of my annual leave with 5 days notice. Is this legal? I have also highlighted the fact it’s unfair for me to take AL during a lockdown

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

papster97 wrote: »
    My employer has asked me to take 7 days of my annual leave with 5 days notice. Is this legal? I have also highlighted the fact it’s unfair for me to take AL during a lockdown

Yes annual leave is at the discretion of the employer.

I'd also say that your employer might be struggling to get in work so by making you take your annual leave he can keep you paid longer.

I do agree it sucks from your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,538 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Do you think it is fair for your employer to have to pay you during the lockdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes it’s legal.

Nothing fair about current situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭cobhguy28

Times and pay for annual leave.

20.—(1) The times at which annual leave is granted to an employee shall be determined by his or her employer having regard to work requirements and subject—

(a) to the employer taking into account—

(i) the need for the employee to reconcile work and any family responsibilities,

(ii) the opportunities for rest and recreation available to the employee,

(b) to the employer having consulted the employee or the trade union (if any) of which he or she is a member, not later than 1 month before the day on which the annual leave or, as the case may be, the portion thereof concerned is due to commence, and

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Allinall

^^^^^^^

That's it.

You've just broke the internet.

Mod
    No, keep on trucking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 papster97

Do you think it is fair for your employer to have to pay you during the lockdown?

I am working from home so yes I do think it’s fair for him to pay me during lockdown

So what I gathered from the above is because my employer didn’t notify me with 30days notice of his intention to make me take AL that it is illegal?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I am working from home so yes I do think it’s fair for him to pay me during lockdown
    If he's requiring you to take your annual leave, that rather suggest that he doesn't have work for you to do.

If there's plenty to do, and you can do it effectively from home, why do you think your employer is requiring you to take leave?

(And is it just you, or are others in the company being required to take leave?)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,103 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

So what I gathered from the above is because my employer didn’t notify me with 30days notice of his intention to make me take AL that it is illegal?
    Not necessarily. The quoted provision applies only to your minimum statutory leave entitlement. If you have a contractual entitlement to more leave than the statutory minimum, your contract may not impose the one-month consultation requirement in relation to the excess leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭mkdon

out of interest what line of work is this?

Please give us more info

you are considered lucky to still have a job tpo be fair.

how many people have lost their jobs 'temporarily ' half a million?

so i wouldnt be complaining about fairness

employer might be struggling to stay afloat unfortunately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,901 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What's the alternative if you don't take the annual leave, a P45 or whatever its called these days. Nearly all companies are struggling and loads aren't paying bills or rent, so while you may be able to work from home is your employer going to be paid for it?

Guys I’ve just asked the question of whether it was legal or not. I understand it’s hard on all companies at the moment. This company made in excess of 10 million net profit last year and I believe to the best of my knowledge that they are not struggling to stay afloat.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Guys I’ve just asked the question of whether it was legal or not. I understand it’s hard on all companies at the moment. This company made in excess of 10 million net profit last year and I believe to the best of my knowledge that they are not struggling to stay afloat.

They should be giving 30 days notice.

Advertisement