Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Witness to a Will

Options
  • 28-03-2020 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭

So I'm aware a witness cannot be a beneficiary.

Can a witness be an executor? I don't have a will and this mess has made me realize I need one. Can I simply get my neighbors to witness and sign?

I don't want to trek into my solicitors and possible contract or spread any virus. I'll sort out a proper one after this mess but should I die I'd want my wishes carried out.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,131 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Yes, a witness can be an executor.

But do you want your neighbour to be the executor of your will? More to the point, does your neighbour want to be the executor of your will?

So I'm aware a witness cannot be a beneficiary.

Can a witness be an executor? I don't have a will and this mess has made me realize I need one. Can I simply get my neighbors to witness and sign?

I don't want to trek into my solicitors and possible contract or spread any virus. I'll sort out a proper one after this mess but should I die I'd want my wishes carried out.

You need two witnesses, who will both have to see you sign the document and then sign it in front of you and the other witness. They are witnessing your signature and don’t need to have any part in execution.

Advertisement