Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing in Cavan

Options
  • 12-03-2020 11:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi everyone,

I'm going to Ireland by ferry from April 29th to May 11th with a friend for a pike fishing trip.

11 days of fishing, that's good.

The ferry allows us to go with the car and therefore take a lot of stuff, including our float-tubes and an inflatable boat (+ electric engine).

We will fish mainly on our float-tubes, the zodiac will allow to travel more distances but I know that it will quickly be unusable if there is strong wind.

We only fish with lures and we release all the fish we catch ("catch and release").

We will be based in County Cavan, near Lough Oughter (close to the city : Killeshandra).

It is a trip without guiding, so we will have to find the fish by ourselves.

If you have advices (rivers or lakes to target), I am interested.

I have already found a lot of bathymetric maps to target certain lakes and certain areas. It is in theory, for practice we will see on the spot.

I just hope that the corona virus will not prevent us from leaving ...

Thank you in advance to those who will take the time to respond to this subject. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 onelastcast

https://fishinginireland.info/pike/

You might find some information on this site. Some good reading :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

You could spend the whole 11 days on Lough Oughter and you still won't see it all :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JessFishing

https://fishinginireland.info/pike/

You might find some information on this site. Some good reading :)

Thank you but I think that I've already found and read all the website about pike fishing in Ireland :D That's why I was asking some "local information".
    You could spend the whole 11 days on Lough Oughter and you still won't see it all :)

Yes that's a big lake.

Apparently, it's quite difficult to fish because there a too many fisherman...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There is no way there are too many fishermen on Lough Oughter.

It’s a water system really rather than a lake spreads out covering the whole area from Near Cavan to Killeshandra it covers near 9,000 ha in size. I wish cavan wee getting the numbers of visitors to make it busy. It hasn’t been busy with fishermen here since the 1980’s

The Killeshandra strand lake is popular because it has good lakeside parking, public toilets and you can walk up the town if you want.
    Killykeen forest park is another popular point, accessed from the Killeshandra town side carpark, again lots of parking and toilets near by.
    I’m at both of these locations maybe 2-3 times a week and never more than a handful of lads fishing.

What sort of accommodation have you arranged?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 JessFishing

That's a good point ! I'm glad to hear that there isn't too many fisherman in this location.

The thing is there are some "fishing camp" in this area and people use to fish in the same location (easy access with launching ramp, close to the camp...).

I don't want to fish a lake with too many fisherman around me. I use to go in fishing trip in Sweden... it quite quiet up there :D

We will also try to fish some maller lakes, it can be nice with our float-tube.

Our accommodation is an Airbnb close to Killeshandra.

I hope that the covid-19 won't stop us from leaving... :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement