Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Vetting/ Probation Act

• 17-10-2017 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭

If afforded the probation act in district court in respect of possession of drugs (first and only offence), is this disclosed on vetting application to employers?

I'm confused by what I found so far. According to the info on the Garda vetting site relating to Probation Act provisions, offences are not disclosed except in cases where the offence gives rise to bona fide concerns that the person involved may cause harm to a child or vulnerable adult.

However, when I sought to clarify with the vetting office people over phone, they said such an offence as mentioned above would be disclosed, and effectively counts as a conviction.

Also, does anyone know if you are told first that such a disclosure may be made about you, i.e. prior to employer finding out? I notice in some instances you can appeal disclosures etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Hi,
    I'm too wondering about the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

I've heard they can disclose the probation act if you're going to working with kids or the vulnerable.

I've also gotten the probation act and am currently undergoing the process of garda vetting and I'm a little worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Offences dealth with under S1 (1) of the Probation of Offenders Act 1907 (which are not convictions - but potentially "specified information" i.e an allegation of causing harm) are not always disclosed except in cases where the circumstances of the alleged offence gives rise to a bona fide concern that the person concerned may harm a child or vulnerable person.

The vetting administrative filter allows Gardaí to decide if the specified information gives rise to the bona fide concern and then apply it to the vetting result.

Offences dealth with under S1 (2) of the 1907 Act (which are convictions) are always disclosed.

• Advertisement

I checked the online system and my vetting is complete

It says "disclosure viewed"

I don't know what to think. Can a disclosure just be a statement of no convictions? And if something bad was too be disclosed, would they contact me first?

I looked a bit online and it seems they only contact you first if they're disclosing "specific information" and not regular convictions (even though afaik I don't have any convictions, but I've still been up in court)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Asus X540L wrote: »
    I checked the online system and my vetting is complete

It says "disclosure viewed"

I don't know what to think. Can a disclosure just be a statement of no convictions? And if something bad was too be disclosed, would they contact me first?

I looked a bit online and it seems they only contact you first if they're disclosing "specific information" and not regular convictions (even though afaik I don't have any convictions, but I've still been up in court)

A disclosure is made even if there are no convictions and will state such, if there are convictions or specified information on the disclosure the organisation who requested the vetting supply a copy to you as soon as practicable.

Passed the vetting.

Thanks be to God.

So OP at least in my case they don't disclose the probation act

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BJCos

Asus X540L wrote: »
    Passed the vetting.

Thanks be to God.

So OP at least in my case they don't disclose the probation act

How long was your probation act before the vetting approval ? I am also in this predicament, it was 6 years ago and now I am about to have an employment BG check done and really worried.

Advertisement