Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

silage and fertilise

• 24-04-2017 4:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭

hi guys wat do u spread on ur silage fields for first cut,i didnt put out slurry this year on the silage fields but will after its cut ,i was thinking 4-5 bags to the acre is this enough ,its was graved during the winter with lambs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

leoch wrote: »
    hi guys wat do u spread on ur silage fields for first cut,i didnt put out slurry this year on the silage fields but will after its cut ,i was thinking 4-5 bags to the acre is this enough ,its was graved during the winter with lambs

Are you planning a second cut? When do you hope to cut and has the ground got anything yet? When was it stopped being grazed,? If you want quality ideally cut before June so if you could get 3.5 bags of 18.6.12+S cut the end of may you may get a second cut early enough to get a good bit of grazing off it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭leoch

Lambs were of it end of January nothing on it since would like to cut it early June and no second cut is the +s..sulphur is it good on silage ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

leoch wrote: »
    Lambs were of it end of January nothing on it since would like to cut it early June and no second cut is the +s..sulphur is it good on silage ground

Yeah sulphur you can get 18 6 12 with it. It would help with silage alright. Could go with 4 bags of it but once you go into June the grass starts heading out and the silage will be stemmy and of lower quality, so cut as early as you can once the N is used up. Rule of thumb is 2 units of N used per day in good growing conditions so if you put out 70 units and weather is ok you can cut in 35 days. It could prob do with that but at least the sheep should have it with a clean butt

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭triggerharvey

going with 2500 gal of slurry per acre 2 bags of 18 6 12 and 2 bags of nitrogen this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Fine Day

going with 2500 gal of slurry per acre 2 bags of 18 6 12 and 2 bags of nitrogen this year

Thats alot to give in my opnion not including the cost. I go with 3.5 bags of 18_6_12 only with no slurry Last year I cut on the 19th of may. Got 9 bales to the acre. Doing the same this year. The quality was excellent. Everyone has there own ways & land & grass quality differs also.
    I got caught a few years back where I went with 2000gals of slurry in feb & 3.5 bags of cut swart in late march. Was looking to be a great crop in may until the weather came bad & was about 10 days late cutting it. Was very rank and quality was poor. I also go for quality over quantity now where possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Theheff wrote: »
    Thats alot to give in my opnion not including the cost. I go with 3.5 bags of 18_6_12 only with no slurry Last year I cut on the 19th of may. Got 9 bales to the acre. Doing the same this year. The quality was excellent. Everyone has there own ways & land & grass quality differs also.
    I got caught a few years back where I went with 2000gals of slurry in feb & 3.5 bags of cut swart in late march. Was looking to be a great crop in may until the weather came bad & was about 10 days late cutting it. Was very rank and quality was poor. I also go for quality over quantity now where possible.

Do u graze it before taking up

fields were grazed tight before slurry was spread

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭max12

Just took cattle off the silage ground today. Would it be too late to put out slurry on it and then fertiliser the following week

max12 wrote: »
    Just took cattle off the silage ground today. Would it be too late to put out slurry on it and then fertiliser the following week
    should be ok we spread the slurry last tuesday raining nicely the last hour so should wash it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

max12 wrote: »

I have been spreading Ureas as closing paddocks over last week's. Slurry going out on Tuesday. IMO no as grass will have nitrogen from slurry and N demand will be low for first 10 days as grass starts to grow. You would want slurry going out tomorrow or Tuesday and N virtually 7 days later. I would consider CAN rather than Urea in that case as there is a risk that the slurry cakes on top of ground if weather is dry.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

What’s the maximum amount of slurry you can put per acre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

What’s the maximum amount of slurry you can put per acre?

I usually go with 3k gallons/ acre but have done 4/ acre in late March on really bare paddocks

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭memorystick

I usually go with 3k gallons/ acre but have done 4/ acre in late March on really bare paddocks

I’ve index 4. Thinking 4K and 5 bags of leifi boost

No if I can help it. Closed of in the 1st of nov last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

When are you cutting?
    We've 66 unis n 20p and 60k out on ground not grazed. Hoping to cut 1st week of may weather permitting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 832 ✭✭✭cacs

Mooooo wrote: »
    Are you planning a second cut? When do you hope to cut and has the ground got anything yet? When was it stopped being grazed,? If you want quality ideally cut before June so if you could get 3.5 bags of 18.6.12+S cut the end of may you may get a second cut early enough to get a good bit of grazing off it

I got my silage ground tested three four years ago all index 3/4 for p&k I went with pasture sward and slurry for first cut and pasture sward only for second cut. Got it tested again this year all silage ground dropped to index 1/2 ph is around 6. Grazed all the silage ground. Took the cattle off it Friday evening 4.5 bags 18.6.12 per acre on Saturday and role hope for a cut date last week in may or latest June bank holiday. Slurry and 18.6.12 again and go for second cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

When are you cutting?
    We've 66 unis n 20p and 60k out on ground not grazed. Hoping to cut 1st week of may weather permitting

When are you cutting?

Hope to cut around mid-may. Weather permitting of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,818 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What cover is on it now?

whelan2 wrote: »
    What cover is on it now?

Very little as it was grazed very tight before the winter. Mild weather forecasted later this week so hopefully it will drive things on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement