Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Behind every cloud etc ?

Options
  • 26-03-2020 12:09am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭

With this Corvid madness, Who is making money ? Supermarkets, sure, Chemists, out the door. If you had a decent wedge and had to move fast before it ends, What would you do , Thoughts ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

To start something up? Hard to imagine being able to get something going in time. Anything you could develop the big companies are already way ahead on. If you have money to do that probably best just putting the money into those companies stocks! They'll presumably be the first stocks to bounce once figures start getting reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Make hand sanitiser but also gin or something like that.....

People are going to be more clean conscious from now on....

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

The company selling those perplex panels that we are seeing in shops

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

onedmc wrote: »
    The company selling those perplex panels that we are seeing in shops

That will end..... They won't be up forever.....

Plastic recycling and repurposing of it would be good.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,332 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

They were talking about this on NewsTalk business this morning.

Wiltshire Farm Foods - a home delivery service for frozen dinners. Business is up 100% in the last two weeks.

Hope they don’t up their ad spend because they are the most annoying radio commercials out there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Holidays at home, even more so holidays that have assured isolation e.g. separate cabins, single tent glamping etc.

You'll likely see a cohort of people who don't want to travel by air this year and into the next. I'd imagine most foreign holidays are off the table for families by now either for health or financial perspectives.

I'd have a hunch you'll see a rise in cheap and cheerful days out if the economy dips as people aim to do more with less.

If you want serious short term and reasonable risk, most of the airline stocks can be bought for peanuts. United was down almost ten-fold last week, Air Canada was 5 fivefold. Even if they bounced by a very small amount, you would do better than any bank deposit.

Board game manufacturers are also out the door with orders apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Gym and fitness equipment sales have gone thru the roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

Invest in companies that offer remote working software, videoconferencing, etc. I've done well investing in Zoom so far!

Airlines are still very risky as some could fall further and some may go out of business over the next while (if they aren't bailed out, etc). It'd be similar to investing in banks back in 2008. Some - particularly the bigger ones and the conglomerates like AIG - will bounce back though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 343 ✭✭Wtf ?

This guy was on the ball !
    https://qsafe.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

Wtf ? wrote: »
    This guy was on the ball !
    https://qsafe.ie/

Serious kudos to this guy!

Supermarkets have just had their busiest month ever in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭lastusername

JMR wrote: »
    Serious kudos to this guy!

Absolutely - fantastic stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Fairly obvious one but manufacturers of ventilators, some of which have Irish operations.

Staffing agencies who take a huge share of healthcare workers wages are also going to be getting a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭onedmc

Fairly obvious one but manufacturers of ventilators, some of which have Irish operations.

Staffing agencies who take a huge share of healthcare workers wages are also going to be getting a boost.

I wonder about this. One of the big problems in washinton state was the fact that agency nurses went from care home to care home and spread the virus.

Will this make hospitals re-think longer term and make the effort to have staff assigned to one ward and one only.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,660 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Supermarkets have just had their busiest month ever in the UK.

I wonder are they doing worse overall? Their costs will be up due to extra expenses of the crisis, and is some of the busyness just perception due to physical distancing of customers? Their sales will be down later when people start using their stockpiles.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I wonder are they doing worse overall? Their costs will be up due to extra expenses of the crisis, and is some of the busyness just perception due to physical distancing of customers? Their sales will be down later when people start using their stockpiles.

I'd say they're doing ok. A few extra staff supervising queues isn't going affect them too much.

With all the barbers shut, I see sales of hair clippers are up 700%. I got mine in Argos just before everything shut. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,702 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

McGaggs wrote: »

Big growth in their off license business, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Big growth in their off license business, though.

And the fact they're the only physical shops you can go to for homewares etc. In the UK Argos are even still open in Sainsburys!

jimmii wrote: »
    And the fact they're the only physical shops you can go to for homewares etc. In the UK Argos are even still open in Sainsburys!

Argos should be talking to some of our supermarkets then....

• Advertisement
Advertisement