Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda Traffic on Twitter 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭Damien360

tuxy wrote: »
    Well it does need to be within the 1200 metres to maintain the accuracy of + or - 2 km/h.
    I doubt it would let them get a lock if their hand was too unsteady.

Might see the return of tripods in use to get a lock at that distance. Haven’t seen one in use in years. Certainly not since the camera vans came in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Damien360 wrote: »
    Might see the return of tripods in use to get a lock at that distance. Haven’t seen one in use in years. Certainly not since the camera vans came in.

I'm sure the technology for the guns has come on a lot the same as everything else. When it comes to handheld guns it's a combination of what the Garda can say he saw and what was recorded on the device that legally stands up in court.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Damien360 wrote: »

Seen a tripod being used behind an unmarked unit on the M18 back in Jan. I would guess it'll become more common.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Well, if your phone camera can have shaking compensation abilities I reckon a radar gun can do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,288 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

flazio wrote: »
    Well, if your phone camera can have shaking compensation abilities I reckon a radar gun can do too.

Yeah, plenty of phones have optical stabilization and laser depth. I'm sure a speed gun is a bit more high tech than any decent phone in the last 5 years.

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Yeah, plenty of phones have optical stabilization and laser depth. I'm sure a speed gun is a bit more high tech than any decent phone in the last 5 years.

Yes as I said I don't see why a highly calibrated gyroscope could not compensate for movement.

I've never been done for speeding but a few of my friends have and not once have they claimed that the gun was wrong. And that's the old gun with far lower technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

DaveyDave wrote: »

In terms of classifying a speed gun as more high tech than something from Apple or Samsung, no way could I agree with that.

For a start, it's a related, but entirely different technology. There is little need for the laser to include a electronic accelerometer compensation, optical image stabilization, or gyroscope at all in fact. From an optics point of view, an tripod is ideal, but not necessary IMO. the left/right movement isn't important here.

The only real influence on the speed measurement would the the operators hand moving towards or away from the target.

The laser will almost certainly take an average (or lowest) of a number of pulses over the measurement time to effectively eliminate any influence of the users hand shake.

If it were a single image, as a camera might take, then stabilisation would be important to capture a scene, but the cars speed can be reliably measured using a series of pulses.

Yes perhaps it is fairly simple to monitor speed accurately.
    I guess the new longer range could come from an upgraded laser.

If the laser can return to the sensor on the gun then the gun has not moved much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is it possible that they’re using a fixed camera 1km down the road from where they’re parked. They seem to be hanging out on on-ramps in the same direction as traffic lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is it possible that they’re using a fixed camera 1km down the road from where they’re parked. They seem to be hanging out on on-ramps in the same direction as traffic lately.

Doing that years but yes they are doing it a lot more then ever before....

The new units take photos.

• Advertisement

The new handheld device also give them much more options on where to hide with the increased range.

Are they saying a handheld device can clock a speed at 1km away?

Yes

1.2km
    It's either that or police all over the world have been scammed into buying goods that are not up to specification.
    If it can be held steady enough for the laser to bounce back to the sensor then a reading can be got at that range.
    Consider the tiny fraction of a second it takes a laser to travel that distance, the gun wouldn't have time to move much at all.

0.0000067 seconds for light to travel 2km but will be a bit longer than that when not in a vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sundodger5 wrote: »
    I doubt you could trust the accuracy of that reading if the device was handheld.
    Surely it would have to be on a tripod?

They work on the Doppler effect, so unless the garda is jogging... :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if these yokes give Judge Zaidan a nice little video clip of what you were up to to have a look at :eek:

Another Audi driver gets done, I don't mean to generalise, but... :)

Scrap the cap!

They work on the Doppler effect, so unless the garda is jogging... :rolleyes:

Yeah the user would probably have to move the gun a good few metres in a fraction of a second to have any real impact on the reading. Not sure how that could be achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Yes

Approaching and departing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,497 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A "professional driver" shouldn't make such a stupid mistake on a slip road :rolleyes: under normal traffic conditions they'd have crushed 2 or 3 cars... and they can't even claim that they were under pressure to make up time given that there is no congestion. Eejit.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

A "professional driver" shouldn't make such a stupid mistake on a slip road :rolleyes: under normal traffic conditions they'd have crushed 2 or 3 cars... and they can't even claim that they were under pressure to make up time given that there is no congestion. Eejit.

That slip road is extremely tight though. 20 mph in a loaded isuzu npr curtainsider is hairy enough. If you weren't used to it and you went in too hot in something top heavy, you'd be over handy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pablo128 wrote: »
    That slip road is extremely tight though. 20 mph in a loaded isuzu npr curtainsider is hairy enough. If you weren't used to it and you went in too hot in something top heavy, you'd be over handy enough.

Then he should have gone slower

Then he should have gone slower

You don't say.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

You don't say.

Must be lovely to live in a world like Dravokivichs where you never ever misjudge anything or make any mistakes.

theintern wrote: »
    Must be lovely to live in a world where you never ever misjudge anything or make any mistakes.

Did you quote the correct post?

• Advertisement

Did you quote the correct post?

We're both referring to the same original post.

We're both referring to the same original post.

Yes but I don't think pablo128's replay was backing up that post so I don't think you should be critical of him.

Yes but I don't think pablo128's replay was backing up that post so I don't think you should be critical of him.

Em. I'm agreeing with Pablo128?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Must be lovely to live in a world like Dravokivichs where you never ever misjudge anything or make any mistakes.

I wouldnt consider toppling a truck by driving reckless as a mistake.

Unless anyone here was a witness to the incident, we don't know exactly what happened, the driver might have been overworked, distracted by a phone buzzing in his or her pocket or maybe they were been reckless.
    We just won't know.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

Unregistered Users

Car was detained because of Covid19?

Or just misprint about full licenced driver?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Or just misprint about full licenced driver?

I was wondering that too. I am assuming that it's a typo in the tweet and the leaner driver didn't have a fully licensed driver accompanying them.

Unregistered Users

I guess they wrote "with" instead of "without" (a full licence driver).

[...]
    Perhaps they heard engine coughing and checked it's temperature. And it was high. :D

OK legal eagles, what's Section 41?

This is my guess.

Section 41(S41) Road Traffic Act, 1994

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1994/act/7/section/41/enacted/en/html

Perhaps this
    (4) A person who obstructs or impedes, or assists another person to obstruct or impede, a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his duties under this section shall be guilty of an offence.

Turning around to avoid a checkpoint would obstruct a member of the Garda Síochána in the performance of his duties

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,674 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Not garda but someone has a lot of explaining to do

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1247147708906954753

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

flazio wrote: »
    OK legal eagles, what's Section 41?

S41 of the RTA is the act used to seize a car for having:

tax more than 2 months out of date,
    learner driving unaccompanied,
    no driving licence
    no insurance
    no nct

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

Now that's new, using the handheld phone/phablet and anpr capabilities.....

Now I really like that

silverharp wrote: »
    Not garda but someone has a lot of explaining to do

https://twitter.com/DubFireBrigade/status/1247147708906954753

Any bets it was a Focus following too closely that did it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It was the bass from the sound system

There's 2 videos on the Dublin WhatsApp page on YouTube. He simply veered into a parked car right outside mountjoy Garda station. He ran off too when Gardai appeared.

There's 2 videos on the Dublin WhatsApp page on YouTube. He simply veered into a parked car right outside mountjoy Garda station. He ran off too when Gardai appeared.

I remember years ago someone manged to do exactly that on Bray main street. I couldn't do it if I tried.

tossy wrote: »
    It was the bass from the sound system

Mark Levitation son.

• Advertisement
    Unregistered Users

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement