Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Alexa and Echo FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Is it possible to edit the alexa voice commands. For example if I want to switch to HDMI 1 on my Sony TV, I'd Sat the command "switch to HDMI 1" whereas I'd prefer to say switch to Sky and Xbox instead of HDMI 2.

Not sure exactly but it may be possible to go to routines. Add new and ‘when I say switch to sky’ = tv turns to hdmi 2.

I set up a routine in the past where when I say ‘play baby shark’ = Alexa says That song is no linger permitted in this house.

My daughter was dumbstruck. 5 minutes later though she had it playing. I thought she’d figured it out. She hadn’t exactly she said ‘Alexa play baby shark please’ and this bypassed the routine. She assumed it worked because she said please which in the end thought her a valuable life lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Just bought a studio, not seeing an option to link Apple or google YouTube music? I’m pretty sure on of these is supported. What am I missing

Got it. I’m impatient sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭downtheroad

I have 2 x Sonos Play 1 and an Echo. Is there a way to group these together so I can ask Alexa to play music on all speakers simultaneously? Looking online I can only find American suggestions which seem to be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Bought an LG TV yesterday and was told it was Alexa capable. It is but not supported in Ireland. Very frustrating. Very annoyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

CosmicFool wrote: »
    Bought an LG TV yesterday and was told it was Alexa capable. It is but not supported in Ireland. Very frustrating. Very annoyed.

Ya, I have one too. I wonder if you set your TV Region to the UK would it work? Haven't tried myself in honesty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Ya, I have one too. I wonder if you set your TV Region to the UK would it work? Haven't tried myself in honesty
    in theory uk/NI should be in same category, so changing region might work if theres setting for that, if it faills id imagine doing like many change alexa account settings to uk or US location- if that trick still works, more hassle but possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

None of my devices can play any radio stations.

Anyone else seeing issues?

All other services seem to be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Radio is working fine for me

Assuming you usually say "Alexa, play Today FM on Tunein" ?

Have you tried "Alexa, ask irish radio player to play Today FM" ?

*using Today FM as an example

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NyOmnishambles

Tunein working fine for me

But I had the today fm skill enabled which meant you could just ask her to play today fm

That doesn't seem to work anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

scamalert wrote: »
    anyone know if possible to setup alexa to execute following routine for one particular, ex: have alarm set usually each day for 5am, after i say alexa stop, then i usually have to say alexa turn on desk light, now desk light is on kasa wifi plug, but have Philips go light besides, found that routine can be set on hue light but one day after turning it off early routine stopped.
    Trigger is dismissing the alarm
    I also have it to wait for 6 mins to allow me to shower and then play news and weather automatically.

So short story id like to tie when alarm is triggered that light would be switched on, as seems from programming perspective should be easy function, but aint sure if possible, as can see stuff like timers tying in with it and being a trigger, just looking for input from others, as know i can use kasa app, or Philips hue routine, but id like it to stick to alarm clock and its time, rather then change the few in different apps if decide to sleep in 10mins.

Totally possible. I've my bedroom lights come on when I dismiss the alarm. It only works between certain hours in the morning though for some reason that they have set I'm background.
    When I snooze the alarm they stay off but it's when I say stop they come on. I use a mix of Hue, smart plug and lamps controlled via Tuya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I’ve had an Echo and Amazon Music subscription for a few months. We also have a third party Alexa enabled speaker.

Neither one can see music playlist that I have created in my music library and both have difficulty in playing albums or songs that are stored in the library - usually Alexa says the song is not in my library.

The second issue is not a big deal because I just request it from Amazon Music instead but I assume the cause is the same as the own they is preventing Alexa from seeing playlists.

I’ve tried resetting and clearing the library to start over. I’ve contacted Amazon support the agent couldn’t figure it out and sent the problem to another department.

I have the Amazon music app on my phone and earlier I turned on Alexa in that app. She had no problem playing any dong or playlist from my music library.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

I’ve had an Echo and Amazon Music subscription for a few months. We also have a third party Alexa enabled speaker.

Neither one can see music playlist that I have created in my music library and both have difficulty in playing albums or songs that are stored in the library - usually Alexa says the song is not in my library.

The second issue is not a big deal because I just request it from Amazon Music instead but I assume the cause is the same as the own they is preventing Alexa from seeing playlists.

I’ve tried resetting and clearing the library to start over. I’ve contacted Amazon support the agent couldn’t figure it out and sent the problem to another department.

I have the Amazon music app on my phone and earlier I turned on Alexa in that app. She had no problem playing any dong or playlist from my music library.

Does anyone know what might be causing this or how to fix it?

It’s the same with Spotify. Have to be ridiculously specific

If you search for a song it seems to find the most obscure cover while a search in Spotify finds the correct one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

wally79 wrote: »
    It’s the same with Spotify. Have to be ridiculously specific

If you search for a song it seems to find the most obscure cover while a search in Spotify finds the correct one

It isn’t that.

If I had one song in My Music library and ask for it Alexa will tell me it isn’t in the library. I have 5 playlist but Alexa cannot see them.

Alexa is not offering alternatives if the same name - it simply cannot find them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭markc1184

Anyone have any issues with alexa and Samsung TVs? I used to be able to turn on the tv by saying Alexa turn on the tv/ turn on Samsung tv but now it just says Alexa cant find a device named tv. It will still change channel, volume, source and turn off the tv but just wont turn it on. I've tried deleting the device in Alexa app but still the same after I add it again. Any suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

I have 2 x Sonos Play 1 and an Echo. Is there a way to group these together so I can ask Alexa to play music on all speakers simultaneously? Looking online I can only find American suggestions which seem to be different.

has anyone found a solution to this? I have also noticed if you setup the spotify account on both the Sonos / Alexa and hae it playing on the Sonos and then then ask the Echo to play that it will stop on the sonos and vise / versa

So if you have both Sonos / Echo's you need 2 x Spotify premium accounts

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

tech wrote: »

So if you have both Sonos / Echo's you need 2 x Spotify premium accounts

Spotify only allows 1x stream per account. There are countless posts on spotify forums asking for a new license model to allow paying extra for multiple devices stream simultaneously from a single account but it's not going to happen. e.g.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Subscription-A-new-license-model-is-needed-to/idc-p/4465657

The official line is you have to switch another account to stream from another device simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

So I bought Echo 5 and then figured out I can use amazon photo as a screen saver

It was very small so returned and replaced with Echo 8, great job, I have thousands of photo sitting in different clouds and never look at so it’s great I can set it up just to scroll

With Prime I get unlimited storage on photo as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

Spotify only allows 1x stream per account. There are countless posts on spotify forums asking for a new license model to allow paying extra for multiple devices stream simultaneously from a single account but it's not going to happen. e.g.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Subscription-A-new-license-model-is-needed-to/idc-p/4465657

Something like Spotify family perhaps?

dam099 wrote: »
    Something like Spotify family perhaps?

Yes that is the only solution from spotify but is not the same as allowing multiple streams from a single account.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

even with spotify family, as far as i know, the alexa app only allows 1 spotify account to be added to the app, so despite having an echo dot each and one spotify account each, we can't assign individual spotify accounts to individual echos.

• Advertisement

ablelocks wrote: »
    even with spotify family, as far as i know, the alexa app only allows 1 spotify account to be added to the app, so despite having an echo dot each and one spotify account each, we can't assign individual spotify accounts to individual echos.

yes your correct

you can add additional profiles to alexa and have each profile linked to a different spotify account. Open the app and tap the top left then drill down to Settings - Account Settings - Amazon Household.

once that's done you can say "Alexa Switch Profile".

this let you use a different profile for each room and stream spotify at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

you can add additional profiles to alexa and have each profile linked to a different spotify account. Open the app and tap the top left then drill down to Settings - Account Settings - Amazon Household.

once that's done you can say "Alexa Switch Profile".

this let you use a different profile for each room and stream spotify at the same time.

super stuff, thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭whiz

Hi Guys , when I ask Alexa to play most Irish stations it's fine but when I ask it to play Newstalk it puts me through to a New Zealand radio station that is also called Newstalk, anyway of fixing this ?

Any response appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭wally79

whiz wrote: »
    Hi Guys , when I ask Alexa to play most Irish stations it's fine but when I ask it to play Newstalk it puts me through to a New Zealand radio station that is also called Newstalk, anyway of fixing this ?

Any response appreciated

Does asking for newstalk Ireland work?

wally79 wrote: »
    Does asking for newstalk Ireland work?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Yep, say Ireland after Newstalk

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

I have an echo but want to get a dot for bedroom where is best to get now online for quick delivery. Thanks

Ilovelucy wrote: »
    I have an echo but want to get a dot for bedroom where is best to get now online for quick delivery. Thanks

Have you prime?

Apart from that you can check adverts but people add on stupid margins

• Advertisement

Ilovelucy wrote: »

Mate is selling one in Dunboyne who would do a deal

Advertisement