Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gels

• 08-10-2019 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭

How important or otherwise is it to take on gels for say a 10 mile or half - I have never done so and always just had a quick drink of water - I am a novice runner but not so novice in age - Any advice would be welcome , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

Not important at all. Why create a dependency (and expense) that you don't currently have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

If you're not an exceptional athlete like Enduro, you may want to think about taking on some fuel for runs that last longer than 90 - 120 minutes. A lot of the time it is of minimal benefit and acts more or less like a placebo, but there's no harm in trying them out as most bodies can generally sustain about that much glycogen. I'm in general agreement with Enduro that their use is overstated and they are over-used by a lot of runners, but every marathon I race will include munching a bunch of gels just in case :)

This is a good article on their use:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20790692/how-to-use-gels-in-training-and-racing/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭CheltenhamJ

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Singer wrote: »

Runners World rely on advertising from companies that make gels and sports drinks, so take their advice with caution and plenty of skepticism.

Unless you start in a depleted state you will never run out of glycogen in a 10 miler or a half, so from a physiological point of view gels don't help. They might still provide a psychological boost - which is still an effect, so decide for yourself. But you definitely don't "need" them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Sorry guys, I don’t like to start new threads,
    I usually take a packet of ‘energy sweets’ on a long run, I like the Clif shots,
    Is it just a placebo, obviously they give you a small boost but is a pack of fruit pastilles just as good and a third of the price,
    I can’t get my sweets at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Enduro

I usually take a packet of ‘energy sweets’ on a long run, I like the Clif shots,
    Is it just a placebo, obviously they give you a small boost but is a pack of fruit pastilles just as good and a third of the price,

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 122 ✭✭spc78

For a standard training run, it's 100% placebo - you do not need the calories. the odd time i've taken sweets or gels on a long run its been as a treat to break up monotony or just to test my stomach can take them for race day. Although when testing tolerance for gels I usually test them on a hard tempo run (when they're more likely to cause stomach upset) rather than a long run where I don't want the addition of easily absorbed glycogen during the run affecting the fat burning balance.

If you need the placebo effect, just buy a packet of jellies but better still try to wean yourself out of the habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

spc78 wrote: »
    For a standard training run, it's 100% placebo - you do not need the calories. the odd time i've taken sweets or gels on a long run its been as a treat to break up monotony or just to test my stomach can take them for race day. Although when testing tolerance for gels I usually test them on a hard tempo run (when they're more likely to cause stomach upset) rather than a long run where I don't want the addition of easily absorbed glycogen during the run affecting the fat burning balance.

If you need the placebo effect, just buy a packet of jellies but better still try to wean yourself out of the habit.

Thanks for that, I suppose it’s a bit to do with the monotony as well as you say, one thing though is that I do all my runs early in the morning after a coffee and a small glass of water, if I’m running between 25 and 30k is it of no benefit to get a few calories in to help fuel the last 30 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Springfields

Could I ask where is the best place to buy gels? Finding it hard to source some locally at the moment for my partner, I used to buy them in supervalu and then adli got some, he isnt bothered which flavour or brand.. . Any suggestions welcome (not on line preferably?) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Could I ask where is the best place to buy gels? Finding it hard to source some locally at the moment for my partner, I used to buy them in supervalu and then adli got some, he isnt bothered which flavour or brand.. . Any suggestions welcome (not on line preferably?) Thanks

Elverys have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

OK I have read the thread and I have a different opinion (marathon PB 2:47, just to mention at what performance level I am talking about).

The main point is to try running without gel in training. You may well be able to run 15m, 18m, 20m without gels and that's fine. It all depends on whether you had carbs the day before and on the morning, your pace, the weather etc.

For fun, you should try a long run say 18m in a slightly depleted state at your normal pace as it is very good training. If you try it is likely that you will experience hitting the wall. I have done so several time in training: it's not nice (you have to run-walk the last 3 or 4 miles just to make it home, there is nothing that you can do about it) but you learn to recognise the feeling of running out of glycogen and you've trained your body a little to burn more fat and increase mitochondria.

Once you've done that a few times you are ready to try using gels (make your own 2 Tbsp honey, 0.5 tsp molasses, a little salt + a little espresso for one gel. Make 3-4 for a marathon) and carry a pouch (less expensive, less plastic waste). Take a small sip (half a gel) every 3 miles (a little often is much better for your stomach than a full gel less often) with water, you will then discover that it is not all hype: if you are depleted the gels will help your legs and the rush of sugar will also help your brain to switch back on.

Now for a race I hope won't start in a depleted state, but you'll be going faster than in training so for a marathon I recommend that you use gels in just the same way you did in training. Learn to notice how long it takes for the effect to be felt both in your pace and also effect on your mental state (personally I feel it in less than half a mile).

You can't beat experience: just try it.

Advertisement