Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General gaming discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Wolfenstein 2: The New Colossus. I had a great time playing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Ah no, I meant the game itself was boring :pac:

Obviously more people disagree than agree with you. I thought the game was excellent.

I can't get the love for Zelda though. From what I've seen of it, it's just another open world experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Ah no, I meant the game itself was boring :pac:

Ah horses for courses and all that. Your beloved Yakuza 0 for example, I got really bored after 10 or so hours. Felt more like watching a movie than playing a game, so traded it in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

I can't get the love for Zelda though. From what I've seen of it, it's just another open world experience.

hthemu.jpg

(I haven't played it either, I just thought I'd provide the necessary overreaction.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Popular Game in 'Game being Popular' shocker.

Same thing is going to happen with Zelda on the Switch.

Wouldn't be so sure with Mario, Nintendo have pulled off some coup there - haven't got to play Mario yet, but by the sounds of things it's the only game to really challenge Zelda for overall GOTY (with all due respect to HZD which along somewhat with The Last Guardian, is the one game that really makes me wish I owned a PS4).

Can anyone offer their thoughts on either of the following games for my Christmas/December plunge? They're both games I've never played before and are decently priced on Xbox store at the moment...

Fallout 4 - I've only ever played New Vegas, and really like it. However, I hear that Fallout 4 was a let down for fans of the series, and is nothing like New Vegas. I do like the shooting elements of New Vegas, and never really committed 100% to any one faction in the game...if those details help to gauge whether I'd like Fallout 4 or not.

Far Cry 4 - I adored Far Cry 3 on the 360, it was a really fun game with a cool, mysterious setting. I haven't got around to Far Cry 4 yet, and was considering giving it a go.

Both these games are around €30 at the moment for their basic version. I'd consider giving either of them a run, and then buying the DLC later on if I liked the basic game.

Alternatively...

I'm considering my 2nd play-through of The Witcher 3. I haven't yet played the Blood and Wine DLC, but thought Hearts of Stone was amazing. However, I only played The Witcher 3 for the first time around this time last year. Admittedly, I loved it and think about it often, but maybe it's a bit too soon to go back.

Skyrim. I haven't touched it in 2 years, and am interested in playing the remastered Xbox version at some point. Especially since the next installment of the Elder Scrolls isn't coming this side of 2020. I've tried to play Oblivion, twice, but just can't get into it beyond the first 20 minutes of starting a new game.

Thoughts?

I like open worlds, shooters/combat, decent story, side quests, leveling up. As a casual gamer, there are loads of quality titles in that vein which I'm sure I've missed out on the 360 never mind the One. If anyone reading could suggest one of those instead of the above titles, that would be great too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

For me Horizon is the ubisoft open world formula done well.

Zelda on the other hand basically made me understand why I hate the ubisoft formula, it's boring skinner box design. Zelda is the open world done properly and as such it's the only open world I've truly loved fit a long time. It's not about scripted missions and hand holding. It should be about exploration and experimentation something the genre has slowly list sight of since GTA 3 and become so stale.

And even at that Mario Odyssey is better. That game is just an utter joy and takes the exploration and experimentation seen in Zelda to a whole different level.

I really, really like Fallout 4... but outside of GTAIV, GTAV and the occasional sports game I hadn't played any games in close to a decade at the time. I got it on the cheap replayed it there a few months ago and have to be honest, it was very bland and boring compared to other titles like MGSV, Witcher 3, etc. I can also totally see what I was struggling to on my first run through which is the lack of real choice. You're almost always given three of your four choices as a 'yes' and when you try to use the fourth ('no') it's basically just taken as "ok not now I get it. Ask again later" at which point you get to repeat that cycle again (and again and again and again) or take one of the three 'yes' answers that you were clearly supposed to at the start.

The dialogue also often doesn't come over remotely like it looks like it will when you select it (often times because it looks like a 'no' answer but is actually a 'yes' - e.g. when propositioned "I don't know about that..." becomes "I don't know about that, but yeah sure I guess I could give it a try!") - though apparently there are mods to fix that.

I guess it's worth a crack for a tenner or less, but I wouldn't go spending much of any more than that. The DLCs are ok, but nothing special either... Far Harbor was fun, but Nuke World bored me to tears almost instantly).

I lasted a couple of hours on Fallout 4, stopped playing and haven't gone back. I've no real inclination to either. Far Cry 4 is just like Far Cry 3 except not as interesting. I played about 8-10 hours of 4 before getting bored with it. You'll pick both of those games up for under twenty euros in Argos and the Fallout GOTY edition is under €30 so they might be worth getting.

Just looking through the games available in Argos at the moment, these are what I'd recommend.

You could get Dying Light: The Following Edition - an open world zombie game with parkour elements and a certain amount of leveling up. Side quests as well. It can get frantic at times. Well worth a go. It's about €20 in Argos at the moment.

Dishonored 2 is a fantastic game as well. FPS which rewards stealth. Leveling up in that as well. I love the series. €12 in Argos. You could check out Prey from the same studio as well. €15.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection which contains remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. FPS with RPG elements. Could be right down your alley. €15 in Argos.

Also, Doom because, well… its Doom. €12 is unreal value for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,910 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Witcher 3 DLC blood and wine is better than both fallout 4 and far cry 4 put together, can't recommend it enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Zelda is the open world done properly and as such it's the only open world I've truly loved fit a long time. It's not about scripted missions and hand holding. It should be about exploration and experimentation something the genre has slowly list sight of since GTA 3 and become so stale.

Experimentation is one of the beauties that games can permit when scripted sequences are done away with.

Witcher 3 DLC blood and wine is better than both fallout 4 and far cry 4 put together, can't recommend it enough.

Actually I had missed that - would definitely second this, one of the top five games of last year, full stop.

Thanks very much for the replies.
    Billy86 wrote: »
    I really, really like Fallout 4... but outside of GTAIV, GTAV and the occasional sports game I hadn't played any games in close to a decade at the time. I got it on the cheap replayed it there a few months ago and have to be honest, it was very bland and boring compared to other titles like MGSV, Witcher 3, etc. I can also totally see what I was struggling to on my first run through which is the lack of real choice. You're almost always given three of your four choices as a 'yes' and when you try to use the fourth ('no') it's basically just taken as "ok not now I get it. Ask again later" at which point you get to repeat that cycle again (and again and again and again) or take one of the three 'yes' answers that you were clearly supposed to at the start.

The dialogue also often doesn't come over remotely like it looks like it will when you select it (often times because it looks like a 'no' answer but is actually a 'yes' - e.g. when propositioned "I don't know about that..." becomes "I don't know about that, but yeah sure I guess I could give it a try!") - though apparently there are mods to fix that.

I guess it's worth a crack for a tenner or less, but I wouldn't go spending much of any more than that. The DLCs are ok, but nothing special either... Far Harbor was fun, but Nuke World bored me to tears almost instantly).

Hmm, that doubles down on the negatives that I've already read about the dialogue in the game. I do like having genuine choices in a game, but by the sounds of it Fallout 4 tries to cover up the fact that you have little to no choice by providing lots of dialogue which amounts to little. And eventually the game gets you to follow the way/story it wants you to follow.

Don't get me wrong, I do like partaking in main quests and finishing them, I'm not one of those "I've clocked 1000 hours in Skyrim and I haven't even gone to Riverwood yet!" kind of players, but I don't like my open world game overly forcing me onto the next chapter of the main story.

I might actually give Fallout 4 a miss for now. I'm about 20 hours into my most recent play-through of New Vegas and thought I should use my game-time to play something fresher. However, I'll probably just stick with FNV as my Fallout fix for now.

Speaking of Fallout and DLC, the DLC for New Vegas is pretty great overall. If you haven't played New Vegas, the GOTY edition is very good value and an amazing game. Backwards compatible too.
    I lasted a couple of hours on Fallout 4, stopped playing and haven't gone back. I've no real inclination to either. Far Cry 4 is just like Far Cry 3 except not as interesting. I played about 8-10 hours of 4 before getting bored with it. You'll pick both of those games up for under twenty euros in Argos and the Fallout GOTY edition is under €30 so they might be worth getting.

Just looking through the games available in Argos at the moment, these are what I'd recommend.

You could get Dying Light: The Following Edition - an open world zombie game with parkour elements and a certain amount of leveling up. Side quests as well. It can get frantic at times. Well worth a go. It's about €20 in Argos at the moment.

Dishonored 2 is a fantastic game as well. FPS which rewards stealth. Leveling up in that as well. I love the series. €12 in Argos. You could check out Prey from the same studio as well. €15.

Borderlands: The Handsome Collection which contains remastered versions of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands The Pre-Sequel. FPS with RPG elements. Could be right down your alley. €15 in Argos.

Also, Doom because, well… its Doom. €12 is unreal value for this.

Ok, that's not a deal-breaker for Far Cry 4, I'm still interested. As for the rest...

Never heard of Dying Light. I remember 2 fun games from years ago, Left 4 Dead and Mirror's Edge, and what you described sounds like a combination of the 2, roughly speaking. I will give this a look, definitely. Thanks.

Dishonored 2 and Borderlands are 2 titles/series I've never partaken in and am interested in. Had forgotten about them until you mentioned them.

Doom, I'm ashamed to admit, I've never played on any format in all the decades I've been around for gaming. No particular reason, I don't even know much about it beyond the title. I'll check it out.

Thanks, that puts things in perspective as far as F4 and FC4 go!

I regret not getting to play B+W on my first playthrough and therefore it is a great incentive to replay TW3. Never mind the fact that TW3 itself is one of the best games I've played. It will definitely be getting another play in the coming months.

• Can anyone offer their thoughts on either of the following games for my Christmas/December plunge? They're both games I've never played before and are decently priced on Xbox store at the moment...

Fallout 4 - I've only ever played New Vegas, and really like it. However, I hear that Fallout 4 was a let down for fans of the series, and is nothing like New Vegas. I do like the shooting elements of New Vegas, and never really committed 100% to any one faction in the game...if those details help to gauge whether I'd like Fallout 4 or not.

Far Cry 4 - I adored Far Cry 3 on the 360, it was a really fun game with a cool, mysterious setting. I haven't got around to Far Cry 4 yet, and was considering giving it a go.

Both these games are around €30 at the moment for their basic version. I'd consider giving either of them a run, and then buying the DLC later on if I liked the basic game.

Alternatively...

I'm considering my 2nd play-through of The Witcher 3. I haven't yet played the Blood and Wine DLC, but thought Hearts of Stone was amazing. However, I only played The Witcher 3 for the first time around this time last year. Admittedly, I loved it and think about it often, but maybe it's a bit too soon to go back.

Skyrim. I haven't touched it in 2 years, and am interested in playing the remastered Xbox version at some point. Especially since the next installment of the Elder Scrolls isn't coming this side of 2020. I've tried to play Oblivion, twice, but just can't get into it beyond the first 20 minutes of starting a new game.

Thoughts?

I like open worlds, shooters/combat, decent story, side quests, leveling up. As a casual gamer, there are loads of quality titles in that vein which I'm sure I've missed out on the 360 never mind the One. If anyone reading could suggest one of those instead of the above titles, that would be great too.

You should really give Mad Max a go on Xbox 1
    Sound like you would love it and it's so faithful to the movies.
    And I think it's free on Xbox games pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I really really liked Far Cry 3. Started Far Cry 4 which was largely much of the same but for some reason it never grabbed me. I'd enjoy it up to a point but then get tired of it. Is it worth it for the price you can get it now? Probably but your overriding impression will be one of disappointment.

Bought into the hype of Fallout 4 got it but quickly grew bored of it. No interest in going back.

Borderlands 2 is certainly worth picking up imo.

I'm not prepared to give my opinion on the Witcher 3 on an online forum :) Ah just kidding it's grand but it wouldn't be one of my favourites. It's just an opinion.

I actually really couldn't get into Breath of the Wild. I sank in maybe 10 - 15 hours and couldn't be arsed moving past that. Loved every second of Zero Dawn, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,517 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I actually really couldn't get into Breath of the Wild. I sank in maybe 10 - 15 hours and couldn't be arsed moving past that. Loved every second of Zero Dawn, though.

I was the same!
    Just wasn't enjoying it!
    Turned it off and never turned it on again!
    Too many RPG elements for me :)

Well, I've finally done it and cracked open Skyrim (goodbye cruel world)... never played it before and what I had read abvout hre combat being a bit dated and clunky is true, but otherwise it seems to hold up very well so far.

Any suggestions for mods? I'm not looking for any total overhauls or anything, but more along the lines of improving graphics, foliage etc... I even found one to make NPCs apparently more interesting/useful that seems worthwhile, but the game kept crashing on launch because I downloaded about 30 from Nexus and had them all on at once, so never got to figure out which was causing the issue as I was eager to get up and into the game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

Modding Skyrim you absolutely must clean the master files. Bethesda left a lot of duplicate files in the updates and expansions that can cause havoc if modding the game.

Start here, then mod the game. So mods you've installed to date, uninstall them and once master files are clean start modding again.

It would also be a good idea to start a new save as the current / old save will most likely be corrupt and become more unstable the more you progress through the game.

When it comes to Mods, check out Gophers vids and look through his Mod Sanctuary. A lot have been moved over to Skyrim SE now. But in general with mods, it's purely down to what you want to do yourself. Make sure to follow the installation instructions provided in each mod.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

The Unofficial Fixes mod for the base game and DLC are usually a good idea too. Not sure if they have been ported to the remaster though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,752 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There's a major divergence from the usual philosophy of open world games that makes BotW so appealing IMO. Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

It doesn't hurt, mind, that the game's systems are so vast, adaptable and surprising (the robust climbing system alone completely mixes up the rules) and the stuff to find is so rich and rewarding (not without its limits, mind: the repetitions will inevitably emerge the more you play. There's only so many 'tests of strength' one needs). But few games I've played have had such a sense of adventure - spotting something curious on the horizon, and taking the time to go see what it is. Not to mention the many times the game delivered magnificently mysterious and unexpected discoveries. It really was absorbing in a way no other modern open world game has been for me.

As an aside, playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy at the moment. While the series' flaws are as, if not more, apparent than ever, credit where credit is due: the game's fourth chapter is pretty glorious. The mix of semi-open, semi-linear design is smart and engaging, and makes it feel like a big, epic puzzle box you're solving at your own pace. A step forward again from the more open levels of A Thief's End, and a neat effort to translate a heavily scripted style of gameplay to a grander canvas. It ain't Zelda, but feels like a cool evolution of a tired formula in its own way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Internet Friend

EoinHef wrote: »
    The Unofficial Fixes mod for the base game and DLC are usually a good idea too. Not sure if they have been ported to the remaster though.

It has been alright and is kept up to date as well. SKSE64 is in Alpha at the moment as well but is pretty stable. Been doing a relatively heavily modded (~80 mods + ENB) play through the last few weeks and seems pretty stable. The odd, rare crash here and there but in my experience with modded skyrim that's to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Not sure if off topic but little help. i have a PS2 slim and bought new 65 inch LG tv and getting sound no picture, On the back of the TV you have the usual ports but the coloured ports seem have changed as it worked fine on my older LG TV which was 55 inch but the ports are different.. Now I also bought the little box to convert vga to hdmi and that doesnt even register on the tv??
    There is no scart on the tv and the cable is obviously the one with PS2 with the yellow white and red ends. thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/wJm8J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

jimmynokia wrote: »
    Not sure if off topic but little help. i have a PS2 slim and bought new 65 inch LG tv and getting sound no picture, On the back of the TV you have the usual ports but the coloured ports seem have changed as it worked fine on my older LG TV which was 55 inch but the ports are different.. Now I also bought the little box to convert vga to hdmi and that doesnt even register on the tv??
    There is no scart on the tv and the cable is obviously the one with PS2 with the yellow white and red ends. thanks in advance.

https://imgur.com/a/wJm8J
    The cable with red, white, and yellow leads is a composite cable. You'll need a component cable to plug into that TV. You should be able to get one on Amazon or eBay.

Evade wrote: »
    The cable with red, white, and yellow leads is a composite cable. You'll need a component cable to plug into that TV. You should be able to get one on Amazon or eBay.

One like this ? https://www.amazon.co.uk/Component-Cable-Sony-Playstation-PS2/dp/B0050HNJW4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512588557&sr=8-4&keywords=component+cable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

There's a major divergence from the usual philosophy of open world games that makes BotW so appealing IMO. Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

It doesn't hurt, mind, that the game's systems are so vast, adaptable and surprising (the robust climbing system alone completely mixes up the rules) and the stuff to find is so rich and rewarding (not without its limits, mind: the repetitions will inevitably emerge the more you play. There's only so many 'tests of strength' one needs). But few games I've played have had such a sense of adventure - spotting something curious on the horizon, and taking the time to go see what it is. Not to mention the many times the game delivered magnificently mysterious and unexpected discoveries. It really was absorbing in a way no other modern open world game has been for me.

As an aside, playing Uncharted The Lost Legacy at the moment. While the series' flaws are as, if not more, apparent than ever, credit where credit is due: the game's fourth chapter is pretty glorious. The mix of semi-open, semi-linear design is smart and engaging, and makes it feel like a big, epic puzzle box you're solving at your own pace. A step forward again from the more open levels of A Thief's End, and a neat effort to translate a heavily scripted style of gameplay to a grander canvas. It ain't Zelda, but feels like a cool evolution of a tired formula in its own way.
    Game Maker's Toolkit did some nice vids on this subject:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭wheresmahbombs

Most games - especially those from the Ubisoft mould - say 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go do it'. Zelda, though, says 'Ok, here's a giant map full of stuff to do, go *find* it'. Sounds minor when you alter just the one word, but completely alters the flow and feel of the game.

More open-world games need to take on Zelda's philosophy.

K.O.Kiki wrote:
    As a bonus, Component will look much better.

Anything on Amazon you'd suggest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,293 ✭✭✭✭Penn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,311 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

So with all these GotY awards going on I was wondering what qualifies a game. I know there's the debate about PUBG but a game I was wondering about was Uncharted Lost Legacy. It started life as DLC but then became a standalone game in its own right with a decent playtime. I also hear people saying it's better than Uncharted 4, yet I don't think I've seen it in any lists. Maybe I haven't seen the right lists.

Also I think I was listening to an IGN podcast where they said the staff don't get a vote if they haven't played all the games on the list of nominees. I think that makes sense. Like I've only played a few games this year, including Mario and Zelda. I haven't played Horizon so should I be able to say Zelda's the best game even though Horizon could be the better game? I know these votes happen all the time, whether it's people voting for Horizon because they're Sony fanboys or voting for Zelda because they believe Nintendo can do now wrong. Or just like me, they're voting for 1 of the 2 games they've played out of a list.

Anyway, sorry. Was just random thoughts in my head

(I know Zelda's the better game. :p)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

A lot of it's subjective. There's plenty GOTY I didn't or know I wouldn't like, that's not to say they are bad games and there's plenty of games I've loved that lots would consider garbage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,883 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lost Legacy is good, far better than U4 (which was boring imo) but there's just been a wealth of great games this year an it can't compete.

And yes, Zelda is better than horizon :D :pac:

I think it's fair to include pubg. It's far more polished than a lot of release games and it's been this year's biggest game. The issue is next year it's going to be a different and more substantial game. It's an issue with the games as a service business model.

Another example is warframe which when it launched a few years ago god middling reviews. It has since mutated into completely different game and a few months ago launch an update to make it more like destiny.... except not ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

And yes, Zelda is better than horizon :D :pac:

giphy.gif

The truth hurts. Ask the game awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

The truth hurts. Ask the game awards.

How'd you play HZD if you've not used your PS4 in 6 months?

I'm equally bored playing BOTW as I was playing HZD. Hope I get out of this slump before Red Dead Redemption arrives.

Last I checked march was more than 6 months away. I actually didn't play it on my own PS4 anyway.

• Nintendo dominating this years awards and rightly so
    Sony giving them some good competition
    Microsoft are so far behind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, it will be one of those can of worms posts and I am long enough here to know it can explode very badly.

I really want to upgrade to ps4 pro or xbox one. Then get 4k hdr tv. Problem is I dont know which one to get, eventually I will have both, but with price tag of 400-500eu and hdr tv on top of it, so I can go with one for now. I got switch last month too.

I played very little on consoles this year. Xbox one wasnt even turned on once. So I traded it in and got my ratty xbox one s for xmas. I do play a good bit ps4 lately, when I dont play on switch.
    My Ps4 in general has more games too.

Exclusive wise ps4 wins completely and unchallenged, specially when I can play forza on pc, but xbox one does has that bit more of power and some headroom for the future. Xbox pass and ea acess sounds handy for someone like me. Another win for xbox is that I got my ratty xbox now so I could share my account and play with her together too.
    Things is I noticed that ps4 does better sales. I think they even doing better deals then steam now. While setting up that new xbox today, I got a taste of new Ui and I dont know how, but MS managed to make it even worse. It felt very sluggish too.

I really cant decide. :(

• Advertisement

If you have a good PC, I don't know why you'd bother with an Xbox. Any games on it that you can't get on PS4, you'll get on your PC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Is PUBG out of beta? If so, it can be a contender, but I wouldn't include any alpha or beta games!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

If you have a good PC, I don't know why you'd bother with an Xbox. Any games on it that you can't get on PS4, you'll get on your PC.

How much would a decent gaming PC set one back? I've always been a console gamer. In my ignorance I used to think PC gaming was inferior until I researched it a bit. Not sure how I'd handle using a keyboard and mouse over a controller.

PS4 wins. If you have a PC there's no point in getting a Xbox. What few exclusives there are or will be on Xbox are on or coming to pc bar one or two. The Xbox One just doesn't make sense as a system.

.... honestly if you have a PC the PS4 doesn't make much sense but I feel that system will finally be worthwhile in 2018. I'm expecting a good PSX event.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

The truth hurts.

Well if that's the case..........Legend of Dragoon is a fantastic game then :D :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,404 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

So, it will be one of those can of worms posts and I am long enough here to know it can explode very badly.

I really want to upgrade to ps4 pro or xbox one. Then get 4k hdr tv. Problem is I dont know which one to get, eventually I will have both, but with price tag of 400-500eu and hdr tv on top of it, so I can go with one for now. I got switch last month too.

I played very little on consoles this year. Xbox one wasnt even turned on once. So I traded it in and got my ratty xbox one s for xmas. I do play a good bit ps4 lately, when I dont play on switch.

Exclusive wise ps4 wins completely and unchallenged, specially when I can play forza on pc, but xbox one does has that bit more of power and some headroom for the future. Xbox pass and ea acess sounds handy for someone like me. Another win for xbox is that I got my ratty xbox now so I could share my account and play with her together too.
    Things is I noticed that ps4 does better sales. I think they even doing better deals then steam now. While setting up that new xbox today, I got a taste of new Ui and I dont know how, but MS managed to make it even worse. It felt very sluggish too.

Some games will run better on the X is all it has going for it really, unless you're not arsed with any of the exclusives then get the Pro.

If you're going to be getting both eventually anyway, I'd go with the Pro first. It costs less which means you can spend the extra on games (which like you say, there's always some great PS sales on the go) and 2018 is looking to be a big year for PS exclusives with God of War and Spider-Man especially, which will both look fantastic on the Pro. It may not be the powerhouse the OneX is, but on a 4K HDR telly the games will still look incredible.

Then grab the One X in the future, and maybe some of the downsides you see for it at the moment will be resolved by then, and they'll hopefully have some great exclusives you won't have played on the Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,311 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How much would a decent gaming PC set one back? I've always been a console gamer. In my ignorance I used to think PC gaming was inferior until I researched it a bit. Not sure how I'd handle using a keyboard and mouse over a controller.

You can use a controller on PC. I use a 360 controller. So you have more options. Controller or KB+M

You can use a controller on PC too, but then the issue is when it comes to multiplayer (particularly shooters), you're pretty much leaving yourself at a disadvantage compared to kb/m players.

• Advertisement

I use a controller, also use the PC very, very similar to a console (on the couch and TV with a Kodi setup that makes it easier to navigate), I'd recommend this case if you want something small to put beside the Sky Box, DVD player, etc - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptbpKpObzs

Anyway you'll get a better rundown on the PC Building forum but here's a quick link to a good, lower budget PC - on a considerably weaker CPU with the same graphics card I had some really demanding bits like Witcher 3, GTA V and Shadow of Mordor playing around 50fps on high (consoles typically work out more around low/medium settings if I recall, and are often capped at 30fps). There's an awful lot of tweaking around that can be done depending on what you're looking for, but just to give you a starting point (only built my first one last year, I know how much of a maze it can seem but it's pretty easy once you wrap your head around it) - https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/JwfzzM .

If you go down that route and don't want a keyboard cluttering up the coffee table etc, this is a good one that's tiny (shorter than a ruler) and fully functional... pop in a wireless mouse for a tenner and you're sorted for if/when you ever need to use them (95% of games work perfect on gamepad, but some like Total War or Civilization either don't, or would be a living hell to play on one) - https://www.amazon.co.uk/JETech-Ultra-Slim-Wireless-Keyboard-Windows-Black/dp/B0173QNVT0/ref=sr_1_16?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1512751296&sr=1-16&keywords=wireless+keyboard

Advertisement