Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

The figure skating team event has started today as well, with the men's and pairs short programs. Going into this team competition format, the expectation was that the podium would wind up being some combination of Russia/Canada/USA, and after the first round for men's SP, Russia and Canada are leading the way, but the USA's guy, Abbott, really screwed up and has them in 7th now. Top 5 teams after the SP round make the LP round, so there could be a bit of an upset if the USA can't manage to make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Heads up. If you have a none freesat or none sky sat box, ie, a cheapie from lidl/Aldi, or one which does not have an autotune, retune them now.

I had 3 red button channels tuned and saved on mine from Wimbledon last year, since then, only one of them had a picture/signal (currently showing figure skating). Retuned it this evening, and after a search through the channels, found Red Button 2 showing a replay of this mornings snowboarding. Renamed the channel and moved it to one after redbutton 1, not sure if the Beeb has a Red Button 3 this year, haven't found it yet as many channels may not have a title on the manual/generic sat boxes.

;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just spotted on some report something about new events in this years Winter Olympics, the slopestyle we already knew about, and the team ice skating is pretty obvious what it is.

The one that caught my eye is "Luge team relay" though. Seems that they will send one person down, they then hit a touch sensor, then the next person goes down, etc. With a team made up of one man, one woman and a double. That could be an interesting event to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Womans Slopestyle Qualifying on Red Button 2, assuming its a re run.

The Russian Doll Looks great in the middle of the course, hopefully a few more boarders will incorporate it into their runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Getting no red button live feeds on Sky. However, tuning in on Freesat I get the feeds. Must be blocked here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Loving this street style snowboarding.

Never seen anything like it before, very cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

BBC Red Button doesn't seem to be working for me, also can't find any BBC online streams even with a VPN.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

nocoverart wrote: »
    BBC Red Button doesn't seem to be working for me, also can't find any BBC online streams even with a VPN.

On BBC2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

nocoverart wrote: »

On BBC2 now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

It's show time!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Is this downhill or ski jumping? These sports are so hard to tell the difference between.

1 Austrian down, 3 to go.

Will they even get a medal?

It's madness!! 2min + of you body being pummeled down a mountain at more than 100kph once Bode is gone I am going powder skiing

Britains second first ever medal on snow. w00t!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

What is the name of the outdoor event where they attach a skiier to a snowmobile and then the snowmobile takes off and then detaches from the skiier letting him power down the remaining part of the course?

robinph wrote: »
    Britains second first ever medal on snow. w00t!!

It's their second Alan Baxters medal should never have been taken from him

Arctic man is the snowmobile/ ski event not an Olympic event sadly

Thrilled for Jenny she is a super girl!

Fattes wrote: »
    It's their second Alan Baxters medal should never have been taken from him

Arctic man is the snowmobile/ ski event not an Olympic event sadly

Agreed, Alain Baxters medal still counts in my book.

Graham Bell did an Arctic man type event on Ski Sunday a couple of years ago I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Any place online where we can watch highlights of the snowboarding. No skiing please. It pants ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Jaysus, if I have to watch BBC harp on about Jones' bronze medal again...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

quarryman wrote: »

You don't have to, you can just catch it on rte. If you find the British broadcasting service being a bit British centric that is. You may just hope that American fellow does not medal for Ireland or rte might make a big deal of that also!!!

quarryman wrote: »

Good for them Jenny is a super person who has worked dam hard for a long time to get that medal! She is probably the oldest in the competition and definitely 8 years older than the average age!!

She works endlessly to promote her sport and she deserves all the praise she gets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

added to that , its a country with no snow!
    so it really is quite an achievement and everyone is happy for her , big shout to Aimee Fuller too , she will be back next time and some excellent commentary from her!

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    added to that , its a country with no snow!
    so it really is quite an achievement and everyone is happy for her , big shout to Aimee Fuller too , she will be back next time and some excellent commentary from her!

Yep, I was very impressed with her on the commentary, and just half an hour after she'd got knocked out herself. It usually takes a while before they manage to get sports people able to talk sensibly in the commentary box, like several attempts, and when they have F1 drivers or runners who are injured step into the commentary for a day it is usually awful.

There was mention yesterday of the Bristol mayor wanting to turn Park Street in Bristol into a slope for when Jenny Jones returns, that street being a pretty steep road in the centre of town. He's full of daft ideas that guy, not least of which is him wearing bright red trousers all the time.

This is the moment the commentary team realised she won a medal!! Aimee always looks shocked but the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

This is the moment the commentary team realised she won a medal!! Aimee always looks shocked but the others!

It was great watching.. Both the mens and womens events where a great addition to the Olympics.

The commentary was a bit cringe but added massively to the viewing.

Yesterday was a morning/day on the couch, great viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Trying to keep track of the Irish Olympians, when is our next one up?

Trying to keep track of the Irish Olympians, when is our next one up?

Here you go this is Team Irelands schedule

Seamus O’Connor
    Halfpipe qualification: 10am - Tuesday 11 February

Jan Rossiter
    Cross Country Skiing 15km Race: 10am - Friday 14 February

Sean Greenwood
    Skeleton qualification: 12.30pm - Friday 14 February

Florence Bell
    Giant Slalom: 7am - Tuesday 18 February
    Slalom: 12.45pm - Friday 21 February

Conor Lyne
    Giant Slalom: 7am - Wednesday 19 February
    Slalom: 12.45pm - Saturday 22 February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Here you go this is Team Irelands schedule

Seamus O’Connor
    Halfpipe qualification: 10am - Tuesday 11 February

Jan Rossiter
    Cross Country Skiing 15km Race: 10am - Friday 14 February

Sean Greenwood
    Skeleton qualification: 12.30pm - Friday 14 February

Florence Bell
    Giant Slalom: 7am - Tuesday 18 February
    Slalom: 12.45pm - Friday 21 February

Conor Lyne
    Giant Slalom: 7am - Wednesday 19 February
    Slalom: 12.45pm - Saturday 22 February

Cheers for that, got them off Wikipedia eventually but didnt have the times, much appreciated

• Advertisement

I will get their Bib numbers up for the alpine racers once the draw has ben made.

Advertisement