Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sochi Olympic thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It is daft to not send everyone that you can and who meets the IOC qualification standards. No reason for National Olympic Committees to set higher qualification standards, unless you have a massive surplus of people who would qualify like Jamacian 100m sprinters.
    Send everyone you can, get more people interested in watching the games, get more kids interested in taking up competitive sports, get more people qualifying in a few years time. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Less than 2 weeks now. For me one of the highlights of Vancouver was the ski cross final and Del Bosco's brilliant fightback from a terrible start to be baring down on the gold an silver only to overcook it on one of the last hills.

http://olympic.ca/2014/01/27/ski-cross-athletes-complete-sochi-freestyle-skiing-picture/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

Dan snow has a documentary on the history of the winter olympics tomorrow night bbc 2 at 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03t4szg

tunguska wrote: »
    Dan snow has a documentary on the history of the winter olympics tomorrow night bbc 2 at 9pm.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03t4szg

I should take my own heads up........missed this last night, anybody know where I could watch it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I only just remembered to set the Tivo for it, not seen it yet though.
    Unless you can get the iPlayer through Sky or something your probably out of luck, they do sometime let you stream stuff internationally I think.

robinph wrote: »
    I only just remembered to set the Tivo for it, not seen it yet though.
    Unless you can get the iPlayer through Sky or something your probably out of luck, they do sometime let you stream stuff internationally I think.

No worries Im sure it'll show up somwhere. Less than 1 week to go now........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

:(

I thought they had already dealt with changing the jumps etc to make them safer, seems there is more to fix then.

:(

I thought they had already dealt with changing the jumps etc to make them safer, seems there is more to fix then.

Probably more to do with the fact that he probably was not going to medal in slope style have spoken to 3 athletes who have been on the course are regular games and few tour competitors and they have no issues I think those that compete in smaller comps are going to struggle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Fattes wrote: »

He actually looks normal with his hair cut, his face is somewhat less punchable. Wonder if he still wears the vacuum formed black gear.

Big pity about Torstein Horgmo, was REALLY looking forward to seeing him perform, and hopefully kick White's butt. He's an incredible boarder. Now with both of them gone I won't have anyone to cheer on, or anyone to hate. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

I backed Max Parrot on Monday at 6/1, 2nd fav now at 4/1 just behind McMorris at 10/3. McLovin broke a rib 10 days ago so wonder how fit and able he is to pull off some of the high risk moves....

Sad to see Horgmo out, not sad to see White gone. Don't think White was a contender for Gold in the Slopestyle imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

stevire wrote: »
    I backed Max Parrot on Monday at 6/1, 2nd fav now at 4/1 just behind McMorris at 10/3. McLovin broke a rib 10 days ago so wonder how fit and able he is to pull off some of the high risk moves....

Sad to see Horgmo out, not sad to see White gone. Don't think White was a contender for Gold in the Slopestyle imo

That's what I was thinking too. He only qualified for slopestyle in the last two competitions held in the past week, really cutting it fine he was. Half-pipe seems to be be his preferred event.

You can kind of understand white pulling out over safety concerns. I mean 4 years ago there was a Georgian athlete killed on the luge track which was then subsequently altered to make it safer.

Only two days now........great documentary about the Miracle on ice in Lake placid 1980.

http://www.newstalk.ie/mobile/index.php?id=20385

Conor Lyne is going to be the Irish Flag bearer for the opening ceremony at Sochi, I am so happy for an incredible young man who shows so much pride in representing Ireland and has raised the standard for Irish skiing beyond comprehension and is one of the nicest people I have ever meet in snowsports.

So happy for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Seeing as RTE is not covering it much, is there anywhere I can watch it online..

I can subscribe to eurosport online but its coverage looks pretty poor, just an hour or so of highlights every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Down South

G-Man wrote: »
    Seeing as RTE is not covering it much, is there anywhere I can watch it online..

I can subscribe to eurosport online but its coverage looks pretty poor, just an hour or so of highlights every day.

BBC are showing quite a bit via TV red button and web

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

Down South wrote: »
    BBC are showing quite a bit via TV red button and web

Guess I need a UK ip address for that?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭mike2084

G-Man wrote: »

Eurosport has lost it's Olympic rights due to the end of the EBU broadcasting contract and also that ends the eurovisionsports.tv site

http://www.olympic.org/content/news/media-resources/manual-news/1999-2009/20091/02/18/ioc-agrees-european-broadcast-rights-contract-for-2014-and-2016-olympic-games/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Slopestyle qualifiers currently live on BBC, you do need a UK IP however

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Sweet.. BBC also have it on their red button!

Seamus up!

unlucky , but looked smooth

ahhhh.. was close with the tripple

Seamus up!

The "other guy" from Ski Sunday clearly doesn't like people switching countries.

The "other guy" from Ski Sunday clearly doesn't like people switching countries.

made a fair point ,
    if he was good enough for the USA team would he be on the Irish team?
    i doubt it , therefore hes right!

Yeah, kind of in agreement.

Although I don't have too much problem with the person ranked no 4 in another country making use of the grandparent rule to represent a different one. Only if that grandparent country doesn't have any genuine locals who have made the qualifying standard themselves. So not an issue with Ireland and the one entrant in snowboarding as nobody is being denied a place and it may have the effect of getting more Irish people taking part, bit of a stretch for snowboarding admittedly due to lack of local facilities, but anyway.

I do have a problem with if someone from another country uses the grandparent rule to bump a genuine "local" out of their Olympic place, and I think that was an issue with one of the sprint events for the UK team in London 2012 where an American went and took a place of a GB athlete.

First run down and clearly not keen on falling over seeing as everyone gets through to the next round. Strange to see that happen, but as the guys said on the commentary, remember that for pub quiz questions. :)

Moguls qualifying coming up at 1:55pm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Where can I watch coverage on TV? BBC not showing outside the red button? Do I even have that on UPC?

Advertisement