Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oberstdorf Germany

Options
  • 14-10-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

My girlfriend and I are heading to Oberstdorf in Germany for a few days in Decemeber (got cheap flights with Ryanair). I've been snowboarding a few times before, but my girlfriend has never been on a "snow" holiday, so I'm thinking we could both take lessons together. Can anybody reccommend a good school over there? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

There's a ski hire / ski school place directly opposite the train station. Alpine ski schule I think.
    I've never had lessons over there but whoever I go with always rents from there and they're very pleasant to deal with.

I don't have time to give you all the info now but I'll post again later or tomorrow.

Where are you flying to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

Memmingen. Return flights all in including taxes and luggage was €50 each. Bus to train station and then train it to Oberstdorf, circa €12 each way. Got a deal on the Oberstdorf website for accomodation, 3 days board and a 3 day ski-pass for €310 for the two of us!:)

I've been searching for the name of the ski school that work on Sollereck but I can't find it. They looked good from what I could see, but it seemed to be a lot of kids school. The oberstdorf site isn't as easy to follow as it used to be so I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

Will this be your first time there?

Ah no worries, I'm sure I'll figure something out. I've sent off a few emails to a few schools and I'm just waiting on replies now. Yeah, first time there. Its the first few days of the season and there's a bit of a festival going on so should be a good laugh anyway. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭kermitdfrog

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but while the thread title is as perfectly suited as it is I hope you won't mind me looking for a bit more info on Oberstdorf!

For anyone that's been there (I know one or two posters have been), can you provide more info from those of you who've been there before? We'd be a mix of intermediate skiiers and boarders, and it's possible some beginner skiiers (who've been once before) may tag along - but mostly I'm concerned about me and the Mrs, an intermediate boarder and intermediate skiier respectively.

What's it like from a snowboard point of view? Is there much off-piste (I don't mean wilds of Alaska style, but a bit of accessible powder in between pistes)? Is there a lot of flat sections?

Is there any jumps, even just one or two small ones? Or off piste areas suitable for jumping? Over my trips this last year I've been enjoying a lot of (very basic, very small!) jumps, and had great fun jumping on natural features in the powder as well as built jumps in parks/mini parks.

Also, the number of slopes isn't huge by the looks of it - are there other areas nearby? Are they covered with the same ski pass? This isn't a problem, my best trips have been to Tignes (one huge boardable area) and Evolene (3 or 4 different small places, all a bus journey away), so I don't mind which end of the scale it's at, just looking for info.

Outside of the skiing/boarding, what is the area like? Small little village, lively town, middle of nowhere? What's the eating out like, what's the accomodation like?

Please, I know I'm asking a lot but any and all info welcome and appreciated. I've just been looking into this place after a couple of posts here brought it to my attention for the first time, and am keen as the flights are cheap, lift pass seems cheap too, and all seems eminently do-able and suitable for this years budget trip. (And I speak German, so it'll be a nice change from the laughable efforts I made in French speaking areas I've been in over the years!) Unfortunately there's very little info online about it, and the usual sites I'd value for reviews from a snowboarder point of view have nothing on it.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

Just to add, been searching around and finally managing to get some more info (if very little opinion) and really liking the sound of the place - does have some park features, has a few different ski areas, and some of those seem bigger than I thought. Like the look of it a lot, still very keen to see what other's thought of it though.

Try http://www.oberstdorf.de/ Its in german and has great information. There is an english part but there's not much on it. I just used the translate app on the google toolbar which is very usable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Right lads, here goes....
    Oberstdorf is a great place, I love it and have been there 6 times now. There are 3 main ski area's The Sollereck, The Nebelhorn & The Fellhorn & Kanzelwand. The one ski pass covers all area's and public transport to get to them which is very efficient, just hop on, once you have your gear on you don't need to show the pass.

The Sollereck... this is the local village mountain. You catch a bus at the station behind the train station, approx 10 mins. It really is a beginner with one long blue, serviced by the cablecar, one easy red (very long drag lift) and alot of smaller reds on the top. There is also a nice place to eat near the very top. It is a very relaxed mountain, great for beginners, when I have been with people learning this has been there favourite. Saying that ,even for the more experienced I would still recommend a day there, some of the top runs are fun. One of the main benefits of the Sollereck is that you can buy a pass for just that mountain at the bottom, its cheaper, (someone told me you can buy a 1hr pass, i never checked this out though) its handy for a afternoon of arriving or morning of leaving) http://static.bergfex.at/images/sized/c3035222982.jpg http://www.familienberg-soellereck.de/ http://www.familienberg-soellereck.de/winter/

The Nebelhorn...my personal favourite. I spent the first three holidays trying to conquer this bad boy... and didn't :o The cable-car goes from the top of the village, if you are staying near the bottom of the village (around the station) and want to save the feet just catch one of the village bus's outside the tourist office, it as only a few mins journey. The Nebelhorn has the longest run which is 7.5km. The mountain comprises of 3 parts, the first is the Seealpe which is the learner area, one drag lift, nice pub (have a pint then ski to the village though the forest :). The next station is the "hofatsblick" or the middle station,
    nebelhorn 1.docx
    this is at the foot of the bowl, with some nice blues and reds serviced by one chair lift. The top is "Kobolt" which is the at the peak, it is the start of a nice black which connects to the other reds to go all the way into the village, this is the best run of the whole area, there are opportunities to get powder along the way and I would recommend it esp if the weather is good. The Nebelhorn is a very easy mountain to read, you cannot go wrong and try to spend at least a day on it, although it is weather dependant. http://www.tiscover.com/de/images/SPF/66/SPF66de/nebelhorn265.jpg

The Fellhorn-Kanzelwand... is by far the most commercial mountain with lots of runs, lifts & a fun park for boarders. You catch a coach from the bus station behind the train station and it a 20 mins drive to the area. My favourite run here is the red from the top all the way into Austria, have a beer and back :cool:. If there is a group its more than likely this will be the most suitable mountain, however there is no learner area, for a begginer even the blue's are quite challenging. http://www.tiscover.com/at/images/SPF/54/SPF967854at/Fellhorn-Kanzelwand.jpg

some of the webcams in the area http://www.das-hoechste.de/index.shtml?webcams (the "foghorn" in the Nebelhorn, which translates as "Misty Mountain")

One of the nicest things about skiing in oberstdorf is that you can ski any 2 mountains in one day, the beer is great, local people really friendly. I am not huge into the night life, there is an "Irish Bar" which is quite lively but generally its not a mad party village, however my brother "3greenrizlas" or "ShayK1" might be able to correct me there.

Regarding food, its seems good value compared to home, the chinese restaurant is very nice, all the take aways seem good (sonnys pizza)is our favourite,. There is great value on beer, wine & spirits in the supermakets. Nice bakerys etc.

There are tons of ski schools, I have none that I've heard bad thing about, I would recommend have a look at all the mountains and pick the school that suits the moutain you like the most.

The last few years we have rented gear from the Nue-Skischool, at the base of the Nebelhorn, great value €10/day. Although there are lots to choose from, this year we are going to Bruescher on Nebelhorn street, there a bit more expensive but I think the quality is there.

Another thing we love is the spa, in the evening, but be warned its not for everyone. Its part of the local pool, which in itself is lovely. The sauna consists of lots of traditional sauna rooms, a steam room, turkish massage room, infra-red hut, chystal hut, relaxation mezanene, jacuzzi, and outdoor pool, bar & restaurant. It is about €14, but no cozzies allowed, only robes or towels. If its not for you I would still recommend visiting the pool, it has a mineral bath area which is good for the legs.

On arrival at the airport, esp for a group ask for a Bayern Ticket, it means up to 5 adults can travel anywhere in the region for €27, kids are free. Its not uncommon for someone to ask to travel on your ticket if there is room.

As I said there are other Board users that visit the area and might be able to add other info & tips... good luck and enjoy the holiday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭sarsfield06

Good info,

I have been there once over New Year, a friend of mine is from that area. I would say there is some good fun to be had although a lot of different small terrain mountains. We stayed in Riezlern in Kleinwalsertal on the Austrian side at the bottom of the lift Kanzalwandbahn. A handy spot but most accommodation is a terk and a bus to the lifts. I think this is the best area to stay as it has a snug alpine feel with some night life but not too big. Only over in Oberstdorf once but was in a nice bar there.

Also there are two other areas on the lift pass on the Austrian side, Ifen and Mittelberg and a beginner area in the village just after Riezlern, there is some good skiing to had on the first two mentioned mountains although both have a relatively small extent.

Never got to Nebelhorn as bit of a journey on the bus, I think you have to pay extra for this bus also. Definitely Fellhorn/Kanzalwand the biggest area but probably also the busiest.

In summing up, not a bad area but can get very busy, especially at weekends as half of Germany seems to be there as the train makes it easy to get to. If you like lots of connected terrain like in Saalbach, stay clear.

Other options from Memmingen for a quieter area might be the Montafon region in Vorarlberg, near St Anton but a good bit cheaper (so I'm told).

I think am i bovvered covered most, if not everything but I'll ad my 2c
    What's it like from a snowboard point of view? Is there a lot of flat sections?

I board and I love the place. There's a flat ish part on the main blue run on fellhorn which alot of people I've been with don't like but but that's where the park is too so I'd recommend a visit.

Is there any jumps, even just one or two small ones? Or off piste areas suitable for jumping?

As I mentioned there's a full park on Fellhorn.
    Sollereck has some natural jumps but they're over on the extreme right of the run, under the trees. Be careful as when you hit the jump you might end up back on the main run and hit or land on somebody.
    Also, the number of slopes isn't huge by the looks of it - are there other areas nearby? Are they covered with the same ski pass?

As am i bovvered mentioned, there's 3 main peaks, Fellhorn has the most runs on it.
    Outside of the skiing/boarding, what is the area like? Small little village, lively town, middle of nowhere? What's the eating out like, what's the accomodation like?

Eating out is great. I highly recommend Edelwiesse Stuble. Rumpsteak.... mmmmm Yummy!!

As for the night life. I like the irish bar on a friday or saturday. It can get pretty mental.
    After that, find out when the Hoerbar is open. That place is excellent if there's a good DJ in. The rest of the pubs seemed pretty quite but its all about who you're with.

Anything that I've missed, just ask.

• Advertisement

Originally Posted by kermitdfrog
    Is there any jumps, even just one or two small ones? Or off piste areas suitable for jumping?

I think there might be a small fun park for jumps etc built for this year on the sollereck. http://www.familienberg-soellereck.de/winter/themen/funpark/ I doubt it will be too big though.

sweet, I wonder where exactly it's going to be.

Thanks all! All the info (and the effort gone in to it) much appreciated. Hmmm, liking the sounds of it more and more, getting VERY keen on the idea. Have to keep looking and investigating other options, but the cost combined with what everyone is saying is making this a VERY attractive option. Thanks again!

you have been to some nice resorts, I hope you are not disappointed, have a good time :)

Yeah thanks for all the info, can't wait for it now! We're only heading for three days for a bit of a break so it should suit us fine. I heard there was a bar that brews its own beer there too, anybody ever been?

no, but please do report when you find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Mmmm_Lemony

Just wondering what there is in the way of accomodation, any recommendations?

I am looking at flights to memmingen, rent a car, down to oberstdorf and spent a week in february primarily on the nebelhorn. I've never been before but I heard its the pick of the bunch. I'm sorted with all this stuff, the only thing im struggling with is accomodation down there. As all the addresses are in german, its hard to know how close any place is to the lifts...

Great report on Oberstdorf above by the way, thanks!

http://www.blattner-fewo.de/eng/Default.htm This crowd are great but very hard to find online :confused:

These apartments are across the road from the Nebelhorn cable-car... Flats number 52, 59, 70, 79, 308 They are basic & cheap but do the job, there are nicer ones if budget allows.

I would get the train down, it goes straight into the village, you can get a village bus up to the nebelhorn station or its a 10 min walk from the train station.

They are still waiting for snow in oberstdorf !!! the season starts on Dec 12th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

I don't think there is much need to hire a car going to Oberstdorf, "German Efficiency" is a phrase that constantly goes through my head when using their public transport.

there is a bus link from the airport to the train station which will cost €2.50 one way, and then the train to Oberstdorf costs €13.30. try to have change with you to buy your train ticket.

in Oberstdorf buses are free if you have ski's/tourist pass & there are regular buses that are on time.

the train times you need to take note of, based on Ryanairs flight times (12:35 Arrive, 13:00 Depart) are...

Memmingen to Oberstdorf...
    Station/Stop Time Platform
    Memmingen dep 13:38 1
    Dietmannsried dep 13:51 1
    *******change train in Kempten**********
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf arr 13:59 2
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf dep 14:03 3
    Martinszell(Allgäu) dep 14:12 2
    Immenstadt dep 14:27 1 A-B
    Blaichach(Allgäu) dep 14:32 1
    Sonthofen dep 14:38 3
    Altstädten(Allgäu) dep 14:41 2
    Fischen dep 14:47 2
    Langenwang(Schwab) dep 14:51 2
    Oberstdorf arr 14:56 3

next train to Oberstdorf, direct train, no changes.
    Memmingen dep 14:43 2
    Bad Grönenbach dep 14:51 2
    Dietmannsried dep 15:03 2
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf dep 15:17 2
    Martinszell(Allgäu) dep 15:26 2
    Immenstadt dep 15:41 1 A-B
    Blaichach(Allgäu) dep 15:45 1
    Sonthofen dep 15:50 1
    Altstädten(Allgäu) dep 15:54 2
    Fischen dep 15:59 1
    Langenwang(Schwab) dep 16:03 2
    Oberstdorf arr 16:08

...From Oberstdorf to Memmingen
    Oberstdorf dep 07:49 3
    Langenwang(Schwab) dep 07:54 2
    Fischen dep 07:58 2
    Altstädten(Allgäu) dep 08:03 1
    Sonthofen dep 08:07 1
    Blaichach(Allgäu) dep 08:11 1
    Immenstadt dep 08:30 3
    Martinszell(Allgäu) dep 08:38 1
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf dep 08:51 4
    Dietmannsried dep 09:00 1
    Bad Grönenbach dep 09:08 2
    Memmingen arr 09:17 2

A 7:45 direct train to Memmingen :D much better than last years 6am start & without the risk of a detour to somewhere called Salam ;). But if you sleep in and are cutting it fine there is also a 9am train but you have to change in Kempton.

Oberstdorf dep 09:00 3 dep 09:05 2
    Fischen dep 09:13 2
    Altstädten(Allgäu) dep 09:18 2
    Sonthofen dep 09:22 1
    Blaichach(Allgäu) dep 09:27 1
    Immenstadt dep 09:40 3
    Martinszell(Allgäu) dep 09:48 1
    ****CHANGE TRAIN IN KEMPTEN******
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf arr 09:56 4
    Kempten(Allgäu)Hbf dep 10:04 1
    Kempten(Allgäu)Ost dep 10:07
    Dietmannsried dep 10:13 1
    Bad Grönenbach dep 10:19 2
    Memmingen arr 10:27 1

there is also the Bayernticket if there is a group of you travelling together, but I've never used that.

i'd appreciate it if someone could take a few minutes & double checked that info for me, especially if you intend to use it.
    http://www.bahn.de/international/view/en/index.shtml

Thats spot on, but there's also a 9:45 IC train leaving Oberstdorf that arrives in Memmingen at 11:12, giving around 50 minutes to get to the airport (if the train arrives on time!). The snow still hasn't arrived and I'm heading over on the 12th for a weekend :eek: Loads of snow last week according to the webcams, but we have a week of unseasonably warm weather this week. I'm prayong for a big dump in the next three weeks!!!!!

EDIT: Forgot to say the best site for accomodation is the tourist office site www.oberstdorf.de Go to the german section. Its got some great deals with ski passes thrown in. I used google toolbars for translation, very usable.

• Advertisement

I just looked at the webcams....it looks like summer !!!!!
    The one saving grace is the snow machines are top notch, so there will be snow on the runs if the temperature is ok, but once the weather changes the natural snow will come quickly !!!! Think positive.:D

Too right, like in the old Persil ad PMA, Positive Mental Attitude!!!! And if there is no snow, well at least I'm there for the start of season Party :D

Oh way, meant to say I found the brew pub here http://www.dampfbierbrauerei.de/

If you look in the beer section there's a sign that says (in German of course) "Message from the Mayor, this brewery brews on Tuesdays so please don't defecate (for wont of a better translation ;)) in the river from Sunday on"

Thanks lads, theres some great info there. Didn't realise there was a train direct from memmingen, as i'd always thought you had to go to Munich first. Could save a good few bob now and leave the car rental out. That accomodation looks ideal too. Will book tonight after the match. Much appretiated!

Normally just go to munich for the Oktoberfest and drinking holidays so can't wait to sink an ice cold pint of lowenbrau with some werner snitzel after a long day on the slopes... :D

Fair play to everyone for the info (bit of effort gone in there), much appreciated. Haven't booked our trip yet but it's pretty mucha given at this stage, just ironging out the details. Will share what prices and deals we get once it's sorted. Also looking at another trip via Memmingen, just so many places accessible from there!

WALL-E has a lot of work to do :D:D (some of you might not get this)

http://www.nebelhorn.de/index.shtml?webcams&vid=0&val=4KPuZTRmt5oh

although it looks like snow could be on the way next week....

http://www.nebelhorn.de/

Flights booked

17th - 24th Feb Dub-Munich with Aerlingus. 215 for 2 people, with 1 bag checked in between us (should be enough)

Will get train to oberstdorf, 6 nights ski/boarding spend the last night in HB headquarters in Munich...

Wish it was sooner. I'll let you know what accomodation we get after my brother books it. Thyanks again for the Info!

ya wanna have a beer with my and the g/f when you're there?

We're going 16th to 22nd Feb

Sounds like a plan! it would be good to get the low down on the place too! How do we work it?

• Advertisement

sure I suppose the easiest place for 2 Irish people to meet in Oberstdorf would be in the Irish pub?

Advertisement