Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Brigade on TWO and NET

Options
  • 21-11-2008 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

Well lads and gals, its that time of year again when deep winter approaches. The short evenings quell the outdoor activities, and so yet again, we get out the ol laptop - dust it off and log on for another roller-coaster ride of model output watching, lamp post gazing, weather station purchase dreaming and total immersion in anything that points towards fluffy white flakes of snow.

It is fair to say, that we are a small close knit family of fanatics here on boards and the level of posting on boards here is a reflection on the population of our emerald (hopefully white soon) isle of ours.

Some of us here - the totally mad ones - venture across the pond to the UK fora such as www.theweatheroutlook.com and www.net-weather.tv

Just out of curiousity, which website do you frequent or post on, or both. If you want, leave your username here so others that visit them can relate to you. I hope this thread is OK for the mods. If not, please delete.

Myself -
    Danno Irish on TWO - rarely post - reguarly read
    Danno on NET - rarely post - rarely read.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I used to post on Net Weather - over there I was just DOC - until I was head hunted by Snowbie :p

I still look in regularily/daily but don't really bother posting anymore. I find there is a bit of an 'attitude'! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭arctictree

I regularly read TWO but rarely post. My handle there is 'greentree'

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I regularly read Net but rarely post, almost never visit two. I use the same user name, easier to remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,333 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I read TWO and Netweather but rarely post on either, handle on both is "katabatic", mostly because bickering seems to be rampent for some reason.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Supercell wrote: »
    because bickering seems to be rampent for some reason.

Nothing like a good barny sometimes, the one or two I was in on TWO I enjoyed immensely, because I always know that whatever I say, I am always right; some posters on TWO seem to have a problem with that, :D:pac:. Most people are sound on that forum though.

I go by Patrick on TWO, don't deal with other forums really, though post very rarely on Waterspout's Climate forum under the same name. :)

EDIT, I noticed recently that there is an increasing number of Irish on TWO, such as "SnowAddict" and "Chalkie", do they post here on here on Boards under different names?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭repr

Don't like that weatheroutlook at all. Always same people that seem to pick on someone with an opinion other than own. Like a hierarchy

Netweather is alright but fed up reading posts from kids saying what time iz tha snowz land in my back garden in 4 days time.

Radar and data is good though and wouldnt be without it.

I quite like http://www.ukweatherworld.co.uk/ for reading posts that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Well, I'm hardly part of the "Irish brigade" but I have felt quite welcome to join in here, so thanks for that. I do post on Net-weather and under my real name. PM me if you don't know who that is and you wish to know (can't imagine why). I am probably not one of those more obnoxious unfriendly ones you've mentioned, because I find it rather cliquey (is that a real word?) too, but I've decided the benefits outweigh the irritations. I've made a lot of good friends on NW (must be something wrong with my head :D) ... but yes, there can be an attitude. Oh well, you get that many weather fanatics in one place looking at maps that are dodgy at best beyond 72h, and guess what, there is very little common ground.

Some people I met there formed a new forum three years ago, it has remained fairly small, about the size of this weather forum here, but we do have some Irish members, it's called Weatherchat and you'd be quite welcome to join. I don't think you'll find the "attitude" with that forum.

Link is ...

http://s2.excoboard.com/exco/index.php?boardid=16030

I haven't looked at TWO very much, my interest in British Isles weather is pretty much exhausted by the three forums that I already visit.

Also active on the "eastern U.S. weather forum" which you could find by a google search. It might have the odd thread of interest, or you can just imagine the -30s and the two feet of snow from a safe distance (as I do).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

...I find it rather cliquey (is that a real word?)...

That's the word that went through my head...just didn't have the courage to try and spell! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,355 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Okay, over here in Canada we have ice cliquey, it's a slightly different sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Strasser

I quiet like www.metcheck.com, its not a discussion forum as such but lots of good stuff there in their free section.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

DOCARCH wrote: »
    I used to post on Net Weather - over there I was just DOC - until I was head hunted by Snowbie :p
    ;)

Delighted to have you here DOC :)

I rarely post on any other weather fora, only post on the weather techie forums like Weather Watch and Astrogenic.
    I use NW extra for the charts and other stuff and usually lurk on there when MCS threat their south coasts in warm plumes or when snow is pasting most of their east coast and Scotland like now.:(

I sometimes feel better when i don't read things like that:D:(

Snowbie wrote: »
    ......or when snow is pasting most of their east coast and Scotland like now.:(

I sometimes feel better when i don't read things like that:D:(

I know what you mean! Looking at the radar today I have avoided NW altogether as all it will be is snow and snow ramping (a little like what happens on here sometimes:p). It would only make me jealous and distressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It would only make me jealous and distressed!

Sure, we had the White Christmas of 2004 and they got SFA. I guess sometimes it can be the other way round.

Danno wrote: »
    Sure, we had the White Christmas of 2004 and they got SFA. I guess sometimes it can be the other way round.

I don't care.... I want all the snow in my back garden! :D

Advertisement