Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Runners with ankle support

• 01-08-2020 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

I've progressed from walking 6km 4-5 days a week to jogging most of it. It's on a bog road across from my house which is very suitable for walking as it's perfectly straight, but a little bit rough in some places. Yesterday my ankle was sore when I came home preventing me going today so I'll have to invest in a good runner with better ankle support. What to you guys recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Brooks, Mr Bubo swears by them, brilliant ankle support. Go to a good sports shop (not a fashion outlet type one) get your gait checked. Maybe a pair of running orthotics would help too, Currex are popular.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Could you alternate your route with a smoother/better surface? There's a lot of little muscles/tendons/ligaments at play keeping you stable and these are working extra hard on the uneven surface you describe. This is no bad thing but it could be good to give them a break some days so they have a chance to repair and get stronger rather than break down altogether and leave you with an injury.

With regards to shoes no harm to get your gait analysed alright. People are generally more suited to either stability shoes (Asics Kayanos, Brooks Adrenaline GTS, Nike Air Zoom Structure) or neutral shoes (Asics Nimbus, Brooks Ghost, Nike Pegasus). It's probably best to find out whether you are most suited to a stability or a neutral / cushioned shoe and after that it's personal choice between the brands, you will find one might just fit / feel better than another.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

Thanks for the replies. Do you know if there is anywhere in the West, North West or Midlands that can check gait? I'm in Galway, Sligo and letterkenny regularly for work or can do Athlone. I'm in North Roscommon.

I've ordered a pair of Brooks Bedlam on Amazon (I just took a chance, I'll either use them, return them or wear them casually anyway)

Google tells me Elverys do it in Sligo, Galway and Athlone
    http://blog.elverys.ie/2020/01/02/gait-analysis-need-get/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Google tells me Elverys do it in Sligo, Galway and Athlone
    http://blog.elverys.ie/2020/01/02/gait-analysis-need-get/

They should be able to tell you whether you are best to wear a stability shoe or neutral shoe. If you can get to an independent running store you'd get better advice though imo. The likes of RunPod in Sligo.

• Advertisement

Got my gait analysed in Elverys Sligo earlier. She says I'm rolling slightly inward and that the brooks bedlam I've ordered should offer the stability I need. I'm to try them and bring them in next time if I'm still having issues.

Advertisement