Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Demand equal rights for...

• 17-08-2003 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭

On the N7 travelling west, about a mile from Newlands cross, there used to be some caravans belonging to tinkers, camped on the hard shoulder of this three-lane carriageway until very recently.
    Now that they have been moved (or decided to move), leaving the inevitable items of discarded clothing and various other junk in their wake, a master graffiti artist has gone to work.
    Painted on what looks like either a white cupboard or a broken fridge, is the legend: DEMND EQUAL RIGHTS FOR KNACKERS(That is exactly how it appears).
    This for me is riotously funny for so many reasons.
    Could someone with a digital camera passing by please stop and take a photograph of this masterpiece before it is gone? I would really like to have a record for posterity of this wonderful piece of Irish humour.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Slightly related when your driving through Dunshaughlin on the way to Dublin,on a wall to your right a few yards after you pass that really wrecked looking petrol station some real bad ass gangstas have grafittid "thug life 2003" on a wall. Who would have thought that Dunshaughlin had gangstas? You can be probably shot for wearing the wrong colour,such as a GAA shirt of a neighbouring county. The wall gives me a good laugh every time I roll through Dunshaughlin in my caddy smokin my indo and sippin my gin and juice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Perhaps it was the same bright spark who did the 'Feck off crows" job?! :D

Edit: better link. Stupid yahoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Turnip

Knackers aren't the only dirty scum in this country though. You should see the state of my workplace at the end of the week, rubbish everywhere, just because people are too lazy to keep things tidy. And walk through town, look at the state of the place and get that disgusting stench. I'm ashamed to say it but Irish people in general live in filth and just don't care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Originally posted by Lukin Black

Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Originally posted by Turnip
    Knackers aren't the only dirty scum in this country though.

Yeah.. but lets not even start on those bloody refugees :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭La_Gordy

Gotta agree about the filth that we live in, the city is crawlin with rats and altho they are everywhere just in general the place is manky. I grew up in a bit of a bally-go-backwards area of Wicklow and now its startin to get disgusting. I mean all the rivers and lakes just seem to have nappies and the like floatin about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by Mossy Monk
    Sorry, the page you requested was not found.

paste the url into your browser, should work then, just yahoo dosent allow direct linking

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Originally posted by ColinM
    On the N7 travelling west..........

Yes that sounds like a GREAT plan, I'll litter, lie, cheat, illegally camp, steal and start fights and then demand that I have a god given right to do so.
    Especially when it comes to the illegally camping and littering part.

Why!?

Because I know god dam well I can get away with it*

*Not all travellers do it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Ok lads, I'd rather this didn't get locked before someone manages to get a picture of this and post it here. Please don't stray into talking about knackers being such and such. I know what my views about members of the knacker community are, but I don't need to preach to the converted or indeed the few unconverted here. If you want to rant about them, have a look at this thread first, where somebody has probably ranted what you would have said already anyway.

I'm sure this thread is on shaky ground already, so whatever your views are about itinerants, please try to keep them out of this thread, or at least be subtle about it.

The point is, this is a ridiculously funny sight, regardless of how you feel about tinkers, and I would really love if someone could take a few snaps of this and post it here. If someone does manage to get there with a camera, please take one up close so you can read the writing, and one from a bit back so you get a shot of the environment.
    Cheers,
    Colin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by La_Gordy
    Gotta agree about the filth that we live in, the city is crawlin with rats and altho they are everywhere just in general the place is manky.
    20-fold increase in the rat population over the past few years according to something reputable I read lately. We're never more than 10 feet from a rat apparently. Which shouldn't worry me since I'm on the third floor. It does worry me though as I've 8' ceilings and the couple in the flat above me are never more than 10' from a rat either. I assume there's one under my bed then.

(I do have an Eircom phone line though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

Originally posted by Lukin Black

Edit: better link. Stupid yahoo.

I passed this myself a few times in Kerry, next to the Donkey painted green white and gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Lukin Black

Originally posted by Illkillya
    next to the Donkey painted green white and gold.

If it was the same person that did both, I take back my bright spark remark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Originally posted by Tha Gopher
    Slightly related when your driving through Dunshaughlin on the way to Dublin,on a wall to your right a few yards after you pass that really wrecked looking petrol station some real bad ass gangstas have grafittid "thug life 2003" on a wall. Who would have thought that Dunshaughlin had gangstas? You can be probably shot for wearing the wrong colour,such as a GAA shirt of a neighbouring county. The wall gives me a good laugh every time I roll through Dunshaughlin in my caddy smokin my indo and sippin my gin and juice.

yea i live in dunshaughlin meself and some young lads did that when they were locked. you'd think we'd get up off out arses and clean it? ah what ye gonna do?

the Garda launched an inquiry into in an all thinkin that we had a big gang problem. silly boys

the Garda Siochana - Stern. Stern, but fair

If you live at the side of the road at least you've got a excuse for being filthy, but not if you live in the city with all mod cons. The scum who throw their fag butts everywhere are the worst.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

tbh i think dublin has improved a lot on the rubbish front since i was a lil lad . as for the rat thing . well there everywhere .

and those weird signs... cant think of any good ones ive seen in the past while . tho that crows one is class

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

i think it was my dad who told me about something he saw years ago down the country

there was this big empty field, and in the field was this sign with fairly small writing, not readable from the road, so he hopped over the fence and went over to it, and it was only when he was nearly right beside it that it was legible, but it read:

"IT IS ILLEGAL TO THROW ROCKS AT THIS SIGN"

(cue theme music from deliverance)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭avatar

I demand equal rights for chickens, pretzels, and beer! (I mean, can you IMAGINE pretzels without beer?)
    Fear not my brethren! The liberation of salty baked goods, alcoholic beverages and small poultry is coming! VIVA LA REVELOUTION!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

The funniest and most bizarre grafetti I've seen recently is the side of a bike shop in Tallaght at the bus stop outside where the Tallaght town centre used to be. There in big black letters are the words "Tally Ho!" Don't ask me why but it makes me crack up everytime I see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

On the side of a dublin block of flats I once saw "FREE MRS NEVIN"

Still makes me grin when I think of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,493 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by rymus
    Yeah.. but lets not even start on those bloody refugees :D
    Or the manky Dubs or culchies :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Originally posted by super_furry
    There in big black letters are the words "Tally Ho!" Don't ask me why but it makes me crack up everytime I see it.

Tally Ho - it means that if you pick up a chick from Tallaght (a Ho), you'll end up paying for it dearly (a tally).
    Lemon-entry my dear watson, lemon-entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

An all time classic was when I was walking up Bray mainstreet one day. This Romanian Gypsie Woman with baby in sling was begging from a woman waiting at the bus stop. "Change pleez, change pleez". The woman reached into her pocket and handed the gypsie a handful of change......."No, more money, more money". I started cracking up and tapped her on the shoulder as I walked past and said "Beggars can't be choosers". The whole bus queue erupted in laughter and the gypsie woman, possibly not understanding what I said looked around with a confused look on her face. I kept walking and looked back a few times and as she begged from the others in the queue the only response she got was more laughter from them.

Afterwards I felt kinda guilty about it though, making fun of her even though she was so cheaky to ask for more change. My guilt lessened after I talked to a friend of my mothers later on who worked in a shop on the mainstreet. The begging gypsie women and their accordian busking husbands always seemed to disappear around 6' ish. She told me that the security guard from her shop followed them one day to see where they went every day and was amazed when he saw them climb into a brand knew honda civic saloon.

I have absolutely no problem with any other group of asylum seekers/illegal economic migrants. If our governement are too afraid of the PC lobby to put strict but fair measures in place to deal with them and these people can get away with working illegally etc then I say fair play to them.........but I can't stand Romanian Gypsies. Its not even like they're playing the system like the rest with the hope of eventually working illegally or otherwise. They came here for the social welfare, to beg and to steal. Every....single.....one.......of........them. I don't even accuse travellers of that!!!

After working in the family newsagents for a few years I have found that:

Less than 10% of travellers in the shop have ever caused a problem or acted suspiciously.
    100% of Romanian gypsies that have come into the shop, I have either caught red handed trying some scam or another or shoplifting or were acting suspiciously.

I don't hate travellers and certainly wouldn't tar them all with the same brush but I most definately hate Gypsies with a passion. I have tried giving the benefit of the doubt on numerous occasions and each time they let me down and put another dent into what were once my liberal tolerant tendancies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭ColinM

Snip

Are the Romanian gypsies Ireland's Jews?
    Originally posted by ColinM
    It has been my distinct observation over the years that stereotypes exist because they are based on truths.
    According to the classical English racist view, the Irish were drunken, violent, irrational, mentally retarded pig people, and the Victorian theory of scientific racism says we should be extinct. At other times, we have been depicted as poetic, musical, light-hearted, imaginative, passionate, and sentimental. So which stereotype is accurate? And which one befits you?

I don't draw any distinction between Irish beggars and Romanian beggars. They are both sources of irritation, but most people irritate me in some way or other.
    Having said all that, I still don't want this to turn into a thread about racism or one expressing racist opinions.
    Too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭the fnj

ColinM on one hand I admire your honesty, on the other I can't advocate someone trying to justify their reasons for being a racist. I'm editing your post and if you post anything similar again I will ban you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement