Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird sounds and ESB?

• 18-08-2003 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭

hi folks, i'm not sure which forum would be the most suited for this post, so mods feel free to move it if you think it fits better somewhere else.

our next door neighbour is after building a huge extension and since then this problem started appearing. there's this buzzing noise that comes on and off every minute or so, and you can't really notice it until night time when everything's quiet. needless to say, going to sleep isn't easy.

it sounds like a voltage regulator, we used to have one in the last place i worked in, hooked up to a photocopying machine. i don't know if ESB put those things in, or indeed if that's it at all. does anyone have any experience with this kind of stuff?

another problem i've noticed is in my work room, which is also upstairs so it would be pretty close to the source of this noise. the image on the monitor on my pc is slightly "wavering". it's barely noticable, but with a well trained eye of a graphics editor you can easily spot it. it definitely wasn't happening before, and there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the monitor itself. the refresh rate is at 100hz, so that's not the problem either. a stronger magnetic field could offset the picture in such a way, which might be linked to the "supposed" voltage regulator.

i'm only guessing what this could be, and don't really know what my next step should be or whom should i turn to.

does anyone have any advice for me? i'd really appreciate it!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Knock on his door and ask him what the Noise is and then ask him to stop it !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,063 ✭✭✭BKtje

try moving the monitor further away from the 'noise' and see if its still affected . ( To Rule out that the monitor is dodgy:p )

Can't help with the noise, sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

well, the monitor was fine while it was downstairs. unfortunately that's the dining room, and the huge desk takes up too much room.

i appreciate the suggestion of knocking on the door, next door, but there are only people renting the place there who don't have a clue what could the noise be, and they sleep in the extension which is on the ground floor, so they're far removed.

the noise appears to be coming from the attic, at least it sounds that way to me.

anyone know if ESB have a habit of installing voltage regulators into the customer premises, or am I completely off the track here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,491 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Write to the (landlord) neighbour and ask him to get an electricican to look at it. There is a small risk it could be an (uncomfortably) heavily load piece of equipment. Suggest it may be a fire risk (it may not actually be one).

If he doesn't do anything, send him a solicitor's letter for nuisance.

Advertisement