Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cq and Ct in qPCR?

Options
  • 12-08-2010 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭

Can anyone explain what the differeance is between quantification cycle value (Cq) and the cycle threshold value (Ct)?

I have an understanding that the Ct value is the vaule at which the fluorescence from a sample crosses a threshold but I haven't come across Cq before...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

I am not so sure on this myself, so I stand to be corrected.

Ct is the threshold value.
    Cq is the absolute value. (it may be higher than the Ct)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

Hmm, from reading a bit more and a few more Google searches, it would appear that they are the same thing, just two different ways of saying the same thing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Hmm, from reading a bit more and a few more Google searches, it would appear that they are the same thing, just two different ways of saying the same thing...
    im pretty sure thats right, think there is a newer name for it (cant remember which one) as there was confusion over the other one being used

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Is the Cq perhaps the same as the Rq? In which case Rq refers to the fold change vs one of your samples (usually the first?)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭IrishKnight

jendafer1 wrote: »
    Is the Cq perhaps the same as the Rq? In which case Rq refers to the fold change vs one of your samples (usually the first?)

Nope, turns out that Cq=Ct just a different way of saying one thing

• Advertisement
Advertisement