Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

about PhD viva

Options
  • 14-12-2012 1:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, I'm going to have my PhD viva next week. I'm not confident enough about my knowledge and thesis. I'm always feeling there are countless weak points can be attacked. Even more, i'm not a native English speaker, so I'm afraid that I can not properly and precisely express my thoughts. The only good thing is that I have 2 publications (not the top journals but quite decent). So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage? Because in my home country, if have publications, even a deaf-mute can still get the PhD :D. Thanks for your time and any replies will be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

Roccat wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm going to have my PhD viva next week. I'm not confident enough about my knowledge and thesis. I'm always feeling there are countless weak points can be attacked. Even more, i'm not a native English speaker, so I'm afraid that I can not properly and precisely express my thoughts. The only good thing is that I have 2 publications (not the top journals but quite decent). So I want to ask have you guys heard of a PhD candidate have publications but failed at the final viva stage? Because in my home country, if have publications, even a deaf-mute can still get the PhD :D. Thanks for your time and any replies will be appreciated.

Are you entitled to an interpreter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

you'll be fine. When asked a question just take some time to think about the answer (dont rush an answer in case you've miss understood) and ask them to rephrase if you're having difficulty. If the articles are published in peer reviewed journals and they're primarily your own work from the PhD you should have no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

cookie1977 wrote: »
    you'll be fine. When asked a question just take some time to think about the answer (dont rush an answer in case you've miss understood) and ask them to rephrase if you're having difficulty. If the articles are published in peer reviewed journals and they're primarily your own work from the PhD you should have no problems.

+1 to the above. If in doubt about anything, just ask them to clarify and make it as clear as possible.

If you are first author on these two papers, you should have no problems at all.

Good luck.

Advertisement