Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Binoculars

Options
  • 07-04-2020 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi All im new to watching stars and the moon etc, I would be interested in getting a binoculars for starting off.
    Or would a telescope be better?
    My budget is €200

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Billhook wrote: »
    Hi All im new to watching stars and the moon etc, I would be interested in getting a binoculars for starting off.
    Or would a telescope be better?
    My budget is €200

Without hesitation go the Binoculars route to start off. Also include a Tripod and attachment for holding the “Bins”, as this will really help with observation.
    You’ll get much better optical qualities from a set of “Bins” over a Telescope, with a starter budget.
    Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Billhook

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Without hesitation go the Binoculars route to start off. Also include a Tripod and attachment for holding the “Bins”, as this will really help with observation.
    You’ll get much better optical qualities from a set of “Bins” over a Telescope, with a starter budget.
    Enjoy.

Thanks very much I appreciate that, some moon out tonight I think early in the morning it'll be better.

I want to be able to check out that comet that's supposedly on the way too.
    I must research it more, as I've extra money now that the mortgage is frozen.

Used to love watching the stars in my youth.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭bilbot79

If your budget was 500e what would the advice be?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭backspacer

Sorry to jump on this, am looking to begin as well, what detail can you see with a big standard set of binoculars? I am just curious whether a set of binoculars and a tripod are a good place to start

• Advertisement

bilbot79 wrote: »
    If your budget was 500e what would the advice be?

Better Binoculars!
    If you’re looking to go anything approaching decent in the realm of Telescopes, be prepared to lay a minimum of a Grand on the counter. Then another €400 or €500 for a small set of decent Eye Pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

Better Binoculars!
    If you’re looking to go anything approaching decent in the realm of Telescopes, be prepared to lay a minimum of a Grand on the counter. Then another €400 or €500 for a small set of decent Eye Pieces.
    Depends on your definition of "decent". If you just want something you can scan the sky with like binoculars, €400 will get you an 8-inch Dobsonian with two eyepieces. That's a lot of light-gathering power for a small budget.

Just a warning to beginners, though -- it's amazing how hard it is to find anything in the sky when you have a small field of view and no fancy "GOTO" controls. A Dobsonian is also useless for astrophotography. I've got an 8-inch Dob, an 11-inch Celestron with GOTO, and 99% of my skywatching is with a €20-euro pair of Lidl binoculars or nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Enjoy.

I went the binoculars route though I haven't had a chance to use them yet :(
    Celestron I think.
    What are the bins?
    Thanks

BINocularS

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

also interested in getting binoculars for both stargazing & nature:)...so what would be a good all-rounder??

also...can you get a tripod for binos with an equatorial mount? can you get a smartphone adapter that would suit binos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,357 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

endacl wrote: »
    BINocularS

Sorry. I was thinking eye pieces or something .Doh!

cj maxx wrote: »
    Sorry. I was thinking eye pieces or something .Doh!

One of those things. Only obvious when it's pointed out!

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

fryup wrote: »
    also interested in getting binoculars for both stargazing & nature:)...so what would be a good all-rounder??

also...can you get a tripod for binos with an equatorial mount? can you get a smartphone adapter that would suit binos?

What would be your budget? An equatorial mount would not be necessary as in order to view nature aswell as the stars you would be looking at a lower magnification binocular. That means more of the sky is visible through the binoculars which in turn means objects will be easier to spot. An app for your phone like stellarium would be perfect for pointing out what you are seeing through the binoculars. The reason an equatorial mount is important for telescopes is because you are using far more magnification which makes things difficult to identify and aswell as that the objects you are looking at pass from view quickly because of all that magnification.

ThunderCat wrote: »
    What would be your budget? .

well €120 - €150 mark

i was looking at these, very similar in price & spec ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07HHLYXV2?th=1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71008-SkyMaster-25-Binocular/dp/B003AM87Q4

any of the above with a tripod would bring them to €140'ish

well €120 - €150 mark

That’s nice couple of starter deals, especially the first with the accessories.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

well €120 - €150 mark

I don't think either of those would be ideal for what you want. Not that there is anything wrong with what you listed but the issue you will have with either of those will be that they are too heavy to be handheld and their high magnification will guarantee you a shaky image when looking through them unless you mount them to a tripod. But if you mount them to a tripod then that isnt ideal for nature as birds and other wildlife move pretty fast so what is more suitable for that is binoculars that can be handheld and with a lower magnification. Even if you decide that ok I just want to mount the binoculars to look at a particular tree for example to see what birds come and go then you need to be aware that the higher the magnification of the binocular the further away the tree will need to be to be in focus. Unless your garden is the size of a football pitch and the tree is down the back of it then you wont see a thing with either of those.
    What I would recommend is instead go with a pair of 8x40 or 10x50 binoculars. That way you get to see a wider patch of the night sky when stargazing plus you will be able to see the wildlife in your garden and you will not need a tripod either. That lack of a tripod will allow you to spend more money on the binoculars themselves which will result in a better quality image when looking through the binoculars which for me is the most important factor. There is nothing worse than looking through a set of binoculars and being dissapointed by the image. On top of that if you have to mount the binoculars to a tripod just to get that dissapointing image then you are likely to not use them very much at all. The second set of binoculars you listed in particular will give you a fairly dull image. So with all that in mind id recommend the following:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-018793-8x42-EXPSI-BINOCULAR/dp/B00005A7IV/ref=sr_1_2?crid=1BDFCUPANPY7K&dchild=1&keywords=olympus+exps&qid=1588919898&sprefix=Olympus+exps%2Caps%2C241&sr=8-2

The above is on the limit of your budget and would be what i'd be spending my money on if i were in your position. The optics are fantastic - bright, clear and crisp. The view will be impressive every time you use them and the build quality means they will last you a lifetime if you look after them.

Equally impressive are the following, just above your limit, and are a pair i own. I can attest to the quality of image and build quality. Stunning view through them. Every bit the equal of the Olympus:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-Action-EX-8x40-Binocular/dp/B0001HKIJK/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1VJAOXUVYNUCN&dchild=1&keywords=nikon%2Baction%2Bex&qid=1588919939&sprefix=Nikon%2Baction%2B%2Caps%2C154&sr=8-1&th=1

These next ones are again by Olympus. Cheaper than the first pair, they have got good reviews but they wont have the same crystal clear and bright image but no doubt the image will be decent. Ive linked the 10x50 pair but the 8x40 of them would be just as good. Depends what your peference is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Olympus-Binocular-10x-50-DPS-1/dp/B0000AKGX3/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1GQCS54C6EGEZ&dchild=1&keywords=olympus+binoculars&qid=1588920047&sprefix=Olympus%2Caps%2C158&sr=8-3

If you do want to go down the large binocular route then the following are a better version of the first binocular you listed:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71009-SkyMaster-15-Binocular/dp/B00008Y0VN/ref=sr_1_3?crid=12RB7LWISP3WR&dchild=1&keywords=celestron+skymaster+15x70+binoculars&qid=1588920103&sprefix=Celetron+sky%2Caps%2C160&sr=8-3

Lastly, these ones are a bigger version again of the previous binoculars but as for nature they will only be suitable to viewing objects a long way off in the distance:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Celestron-71008-SkyMaster-25-Binocular/dp/B0007UQNTU/ref=sr_1_4?crid=TFBCT590LXNQ&dchild=1&keywords=skymaster%2B20x80%2Bbinoculars&qid=1588928674&sprefix=Skymaster%2Caps%2C146&sr=8-4&th=1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

https://www.nikon.co.uk/en_GB/product/sport-optics/binoculars/action-ex/action-ex-10x50-cf

Nikon Action 10x50 is quite nice too. More light for astronomy.
    What are dealers like in allowing you to test use them, is anyone especially good. You would have to know the IPD was OK and i had an old cheap pair where the images would not merge. I have seen that in reviews of new ones too

^^^^^^^^^

a tad heavy at 1kg.....or porro better than roof prism?

^^^^^^^^^

The idea of using binoculars for astronomy is to have them mounted on a tripod. So weight isn’t a issue.

^^^^^^^^^

porro are better than roofs at low and budget prices. Roofs increase in quality at mid prices.I think porro may be better for astronomy anyway i'm not sure.I don't think the nikon would be especially heavy, as someone said use a tripod

• Advertisement

porro are better than roofs at low and budget prices. Roofs increase in quality at mid prices.I think porro may be better for astronomy anyway i'm not sure.I don't think the nikon would be especially heavy, as someone said use a tripod

The idea of holding a pair of Binoculars by hand and try to view anything worthwhile including the Moon is not how to use a set of Binoculars for astronomy purposes. The whole idea is that you use a Tripod, this will open up detail which can never be seen by just holding a set of Binoculars by hand.

The idea of holding a pair of Binoculars by hand and try to view anything worthwhile including the Moon is not how to use a set of Binoculars for astronomy purposes. The whole idea is that you use a Tripod, this will open up detail which can never be seen by just holding a set of Binoculars by hand.
    you can choose how to use binoculars for astronomy. many do use without tripod.

The idea of using binoculars for astronomy is to have them mounted on a tripod. So weight isn’t a issue.

The other idea is to have something small and light to grab and go.

endacl wrote: »
    The other idea is to have something small and light to grab and go.
    There are many who do that and many use them to have quick look to set up telescopes. Seen a lot of people on an astronomy forum say anything over 10X50 needs a tripod

• Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Just go straight for the largest scope you can afford and pick up a €20 pair of 10x50 Bressers (not the ones that zoom) in Lidl the next time the offer comes around for the binocular stuff. If you want to see Saturn and Jupiter and a few trickier targets properly like most people do when they start out you won't be doing it with a pair of handheld binoculars I guarantee that.

Advertisement