Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Continental to end GP 4000s production

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Hmm:
    "Thanks to the development and improvement of four individual technologies within the tyre, Continental believes that its latest iteration has 12% improved rolling resistance, 20% more puncture protection, is 10g lighter a tyre and is also more comfortable."

Only thing I would have thought that needed improvement was the sidewall. Great tyre and sad to see it's end so hopefully there will be some great offers on the 4000s as suppliers clear out stock. I'm currently in need of a pair and I see Evans have them listed as clearance but still €37 per tyre and slightly more on CRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭Plastik

I got some great deals when they changed from GP4000S to GP4000S II so hold tough and see what happens. From memory there was some places that reduced down to about €15 quid each.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

Hmm:
    "Thanks to the development and improvement of four individual technologies within the tyre, Continental believes that its latest iteration has 12% improved rolling resistance, 20% more puncture protection, is 10g lighter a tyre and is also more comfortable."

Only thing I would have thought that needed improvement was the sidewall. Great tyre and sad to see it's end so hopefully there will be some great offers on the 4000s as suppliers clear out stock. I'm currently in need of a pair and I see Evans have them listed as clearance but still €37 per tyre and slightly more on CRC.

I have a pair of 23s brand new in the box I don’t need now. Can put up in adverts if interest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

flatface wrote: »
    I have a pair of 23s brand new in the box I don’t need now. Can put up in adverts if interest.

Do it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

When will the GP 5000 be available to buy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    When will the GP 5000 be available to buy?

€70 per clincher, pricey.

dahat wrote: »
    €70 per clincher, pricey.

What shop has them for sale?

What shop has them for sale?

In the review, not on sale anywhere yet AFAIK

Bike Radar are saying €60.99 for the clinchers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bear in mind, 'includes paid promotion'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭smcclaw

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bit bananas, considering when i replaced the front tyres on the car about a year ago, it was €80 for the cheap ones and €90 each for the 'decent' ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Lads, have any of ye ever looked at some of the "RRPs" for the GP 4000SII tyres (as opposed to what they actually sell for)? CRC have that at over €70 but heavily discounted to the price quoted above, and this is a common trend. By all means stock up on the 4000s if you fear a price hike coming, but until I see them for sale and thus an actual selling price as opposed to a notional RRP, I'm not gonna throw continental under the bus quite yet.

cython wrote: »
    Lads, have any of ye ever looked at some of the "RRPs" for the GP 4000SII tyres (as opposed to what they actually sell for)? CRC have that at over €70 but heavily discounted to the price quoted above, and this is a common trend. By all means stock up on the 4000s if you fear a price hike coming, but until I see them for sale and thus an actual selling price as opposed to a notional RRP, I'm not gonna throw continental under the bus quite yet.

I don't think I have ever paid more than 40 for one and typically 70 for two. RRP is becoming a more notional concept in the world of online goods. There should be RRP, the price you'd typically expect them for and a sale price.

In regards GP4000SII, this would be 70, 60-40 and 30 IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

CramCycle wrote: »
    I don't think I have ever paid more than 40 for one and typically 70 for two. RRP is becoming a more notional concept in the world of online goods. There should be RRP, the price you'd typically expect them for and a sale price.

In regards GP4000SII, this would be 70, 60-40 and 30 IMO

That's basically my point. Unless CRC and several other e-tailers are conducting mass fraud, any announced price from Continental should be compared to the "original" price quoted at present for the 4000s, and wait to see what they actually arrive to market as. I'd be fairly certain that while you paid the above, there was a (likely notional) discount or reduction applied to arrive at that price.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

I love these tyres. On my last bike, they looked like they were about to crack apart (as old rubber looks/does) but they never punctured. I'm using Continental Four Seasons now (on a different bike) and the only punctures I've gotten this year came from inside the wheel – I replaced the wheel when getting a dynamo and no more punctures. Since using Continental tyres, it feels like punctures are a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

bear in mind, 'includes paid promotion'.

that video is clearly an advertisement rather than a review.

sub 50euro on Rose already, there is your baseline price for the future.

CramCycle wrote: »
    sub 50euro on Rose already, there is your baseline price for the future.

€44.90 for the clinchers.
    €49.90 for tubeless

€44.90 for the clinchers.
    €49.90 for tubeless

I await my supply of 4000S to run out before giving my first tubeless tyres a craic. Actually, Ill await that and the unbiased reviews, then I might get my first tubeless tyres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,645 ✭✭✭✭dahat

I think I'll try the 5000s as my racing tyre this season, been unable to decide what clincher to use since my Tufos decided to be hard to find all of a sudden..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Bought a set of clinchers and a new chain plus 10€ off for first purchase over 100 so effectively €80 for the the pair

Advertisement