Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why Blowouts Happen ?

Options
  • 11-10-2018 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Cycling last Sunday on a smooth section of road and got a blowout. Big tear in sidewall and rapidly deflated. Tyre was less than 3 months old, in good condition and hadn't seen a lot of mileage.

Can't fathom whether it was a bad tire or if I unwittingly hit something. Its only the second time in years of cycling this has happened to me (slow puncture lots)

Ideas ?

Interested in hearing other peoples blowout stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭saccades

Brake pads badly adjusted ( or mudguards) and rubbing.

Snagging something in the shed.

Too high a pressure once for me, racing down a hill in summer the back popped off the rim.

Hard to get enough spit in summer to be able to seat the bead with a regular pump. Only time UST let me down

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

One and only for me was having the sidewall sliced by a piece of flint passing a gravel drive way, which was a bit ironic having done a good bit of gravel riding with no issues. Tyre boot got me home but I binned the tyre and replaced it. Whats's the orange gunk at the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Cycling last Sunday on a smooth section of road and got a blowout. Big tear in sidewall and rapidly deflated. Tyre was less than 3 months old, in good condition and hadn't seen a lot of mileage.

Can't fathom whether it was a bad tire or if I unwittingly hit something. Its only the second time in years of cycling this has happened to me (slow puncture lots)

Ideas ?

Interested in hearing other peoples blowout stories.

U replace the tube recently? Possible pinching?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

Riding under deflated tires wears the sidewalls and each and every time you put the bead back on the rim too. Brakes pad run potentially as mentioned. Debris obviously and defective tire is more of a long shot I find

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

How much do you weigh and what PSI was the tyre at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Looks like a damaged tyre possibly due to riding over a sharp object. Maybe a stone or glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I had a blowout this morning and the bike was just sitting in the hall, bizarre! About to get out of bed and all of a sudden I hear all the air bursting out of the tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Crocked

Miklos wrote: »
    I had a blowout this morning and the bike was just sitting in the hall, bizarre! About to get out of bed and all of a sudden I hear all the air bursting out of the tyre.

Had that happen me a few years ago. I had the bike leaning against a radiator so think the air heating up in the tube was too much, then KABOOM, frightened the ****e out of me

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A blow out sidewall specifically means some kind of trauma. The weave runs vertically in the sidewall, so it should should only pop where something has cut that weave laterally.

Examples tend to be as above - rubbing brake pads, jagged edges on the rim, or unlucky encounters with a kerb/wall/stone. As bingobars says too, if you ride underinflated tyres routinely, this will wear down the sidewall quicker.

When I first got back into cycling though I bought an MTB and some big ass tyres, then proceeded to pump them up to their rated max of 60psi or something. The tyre was too wide for the rim and the rim cut into the sidewall and failed. Like other stories here I was elsewhere in the house several hours after pumping them up before I heard them fail. Wrecked 3 tyres (no I didn't learn after the first two).

The very specific triangle shape in the OP, I'd also go with some kind of glass or stone shard. Probably a tiny pinhole in the tyre, which then tore out and downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

smacl wrote: »
    One and only for me was having the sidewall sliced by a piece of flint passing a gravel drive way, which was a bit ironic having done a good bit of gravel riding with no issues. Tyre boot got me home but I binned the tyre and replaced it. Whats's the orange gunk at the cut?

Was messing around with a tire plug while waiting for a spare wheel

How did you know it was flint, did you see it stuck in the tire or hear it ? It could have been something on the road in my case too but there were no signs.

• Advertisement

elfy4eva wrote: »
    U replace the tube recently? Possible pinching?

There was no tube in it :D

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    How much do you weigh and what PSI was the tyre at?

80kg, 80PSI. Tubeless though

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Looks like a damaged tyre possibly due to riding over a sharp object. Maybe a stone or glass.

I'm wondering can things like this have happened on previous spins and it takes a few 100 km before it finally gives... I was rolling smooth when it actually went

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Crocked wrote: »
    Had that happen me a few years ago. I had the bike leaning against a radiator so think the air heating up in the tube was too much, then KABOOM, frightened the ****e out of me
    i doubt that the radiator would make much of a difference - they wouldn't heat the tyres up that much i guess? you'd need a 30C change in temp to make a 10% difference in pressure, IIRC

Was messing around with a tire plug while waiting for a spare wheel

How did you know it was flint, did you see it stuck in the tire or hear it ? It could have been something on the road in my case too but there were no signs.

Passing a driveway on a narrow road that had a lot of flint in the gravel. Mostly smooth except for some crushed shards by the road edge, only noticed the bits of flint while stopped to fix the tyre. Schwalbe marathon supreme, which is puncture resistant on the rolling surface but not the sidewall. As Seamus said, the upward V shape of the cut suggests a nick on the sidewall near the running edge that ripped upwards.

80kg, 80PSI. Tubeless though

The tyres I was running when this happened were 32c also at @80psi and I was ~86kg at the time. Lower pressure could mean more bulge in the sidewalls and a slightly increased chance of this type of thing happening. Bit of a pain with tubeless I'd imagine. Did you have a spare tube and boot?

I'm wondering can things like this have happened on previous spins and it takes a few 100 km before it finally gives... I was rolling smooth when it actually went

Yes that's quite possible. It also explains "Phantom" blowouts when bikes are in the house at the time of the blow out. The heat from a radiator also helps.

smacl wrote: »
    The tyres I was running when this happened were 32c also at @80psi and I was ~86kg at the time. Lower pressure could mean more bulge in the sidewalls and a slightly increased chance of this type of thing happening. Bit of a pain with tubeless I'd imagine. Did you have a spare tube and boot?

Spare tube but no boot. Hole was too big to put a tube in

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

the secret is in the name, blowout.

It blows out, due to some form of damage to the tyre; the weakness in the tyre eventually fails due to the high pressure of air from within, forcing the weak spot to split and rapidly deflate.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I've had a few over the years. One was while in the middle of a group on the outside during a club ride - not a pleasant experience when so close to others. Another one was in the middle of the night in a hotel room in London. I put it down to leaving the bike beside a radiator. The others were while riding solo at night, thankfully never while descending.

Incidentally, our road captain had a blow out during a club ride a few weeks ago (Conti GP4000 tyre). In the minutes prior to it happening, a few of us had remarked on a noise coming from his back wheel. In hindsight, it appears that the tyre had bulged for a while before blowing out and the noise was it rubbing on something.

• Advertisement

Sent a photo into mantel of the tire asking if they were aware of any other problems with the batch and even though I hadn't asked for a replacement I got a reply saying they would send a new one out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

The max pressure marked on every tyre is indicative of the width and quality of the tyre (and it's width - narrower tyres can take more pressure and vice-versa) - better quality tyres have better-quality bead (wire or kevlar-type plastic), which stretches less at a given pressure.

What this means is that while better quality tyres have a higher pressure limit, every tyre has a limit of pressure, and if exceeded, the bead will stretch enough to lose grip on the crotch (grooved edge) of the rim and the edge of the tyre will pop off.

I used to pump tyres right to the marked limit, if it was 85PSI or less, but once or twice, in the summer, the tyre blew off about 30 mins later, because the bike was in direct sunshine. Now, I leave tyres at least 10% below the limit, especially in the summer...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Are GP4000's really worth the blowout risk?

dahat wrote: »
    Are GP4000's really worth the blowout risk?

Yes.

(Blowouts are caused by other factors. E.g. The tyre is cut by a sharp stone or glass, badly aligned brake pads etc. Tyre brand is irrelevant)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Yes.

(Blowouts are caused by other factors. E.g. The tyre is cut by a sharp stone or glass, badly aligned brake pads etc. Tyre brand is irrelevant)

The GP4000's seem very prone to sidewall failure /blowout type issues, I have arrived at this from posts here plus seeing a few returns in LBS over last 2/3 years.

dahat wrote: »
    The GP4000's seem very proe to sidewall failure /blowout type issues, I have arrived at this from posts here plus seeing a few returns in LBS over last 2/3 years.

Maybe, but I've been using them on my 3 bikes for over 10 years now. I won't fit anything else to be honest because I find them brilliant. The only time I had a blowout was due to misaligned brake pads.

I've used schawble,Victoria and Michelin tyres and for me, continental are the best.

.....(Blowouts are caused by other factors. E.g. The tyre is cut by a sharp stone or glass, badly aligned brake pads etc. Tyre brand is irrelevant)
    The blowouts may be caused by other factors but, in my experience, GP4000's sidewalls will fail compared to other brands when subjected to the same trauma. They roll beautifully but I've never had any luck with them despite giving them several chances.

The blowouts may be caused by other factors but, in my experience, GP4000's sidewalls will fail compared to other brands when subjected to the same trauma. They roll beautifully but I've never had any luck with them despite giving them several chances.

Fair enough..I don't doubt you. I'm just relaying my experiences with them, which have been 99% positive.

Fair enough..I don't doubt you. I'm just relaying my experiences with them, which have been 99% positive.
    I'd love to have confidence in them, and in fairness, many cyclists do as can be seen in our club where they seem to be the tyre of choice.

• Advertisement
Advertisement