Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eyesight and cycling

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Is it possible to get a headband that doesn't warm the head up too much? That would stop the sweat running over glasses. Otherwise, those cycling glasses sound good.
    Can't get them myself since my prescription is -11, but then my cycling speed is so slow that I could probably get away with using a white stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

hy head is sweaty enough as it is without warming it more, though.
    i find the design of the glasses makes a big difference - ones which sit away from your eyebrows are much better.

I thought that as well but finally decided to give it (a cap) a go about a year ago, and it's a big help. I don't find it makes my head overly hot, but then my head is, ahem, somewhat aero. I've been wearing it it all weather - cold weather last winter/spring, even during the heatwave. The peak keeps a bit of rain out of you eyes (and low sun), it also wicks sweat away from the brow and if it gets saturated, is just drips off the end.

As regards the original question, my eyesight is pretty terrible. I need glasses all day every day (short sight), and due to this age lark my near sight isn't all that I'd wish either. I'd never have considered it a "handicap" until the past few years, but moisture laden air is a real problem for me. Foggy mornings I can't keep the lenses clear - wipe them and 10 seconds later they're opaque again. Rain and dark evenings are another horror show as somebody else mentioned. Half my commute is on a busy unlit road, albeit one with a decent wide cycle path (read hard shoulder with a solid white line). I've had situations where the combination of water droplets an oncoming headlight have left me with no option but take off the glasses and proceed (very) slowly. I also find it a problem when we take the kids to a swimming pool - I can't see them if they're more than about 10m away.

I've tried contacts but couldn't get on with them at all, and am giving serious thought to laser (I'm apparently suitable, but would definitely need reading glasses afterwards. As I'm on the slippery slope there already - it's probably an OK compromise).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

JMcL wrote: »
    giving serious thought to laser (I'm apparently suitable, but would definitely need reading glasses afterwards. As I'm on the slippery slope there already - it's probably an OK compromise).

You'll also still need eye-protection glasses (though probably not prescription) for cycling after laser, unless you go for the replace-my-eyes-with-titanium option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I also find it a problem when we take the kids to a swimming pool - I can't see them if they're more than about 10m away.
    Prescription googles can be got relatively cheap. I think some places you can buy off the shelf (well online) with inserted lenses, a bit like reading glasses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Macy0161 wrote: »
    Prescription googles can be got relatively cheap. I think some places you can buy off the shelf (well online) with inserted lenses, a bit like reading glasses.

Really? Do you have links? That'd be great

• Advertisement

Rechuchote wrote: »
    You'll also still need eye-protection glasses (though probably not prescription) for cycling after laser, unless you go for the replace-my-eyes-with-titanium option.

Ah yeah, if I didn't have to wear the specs all the time anyway, I'd be loading up on cheap sunnies from Lidl/Aldi when doing the same for gloves :-)
    Macy0161 wrote: »

I've thought about something like that a few times, and while it does have an appeal and would probably improve things (better airflow etc.), my primary problem is those days when the lenses are covered in water droplets, and I think that would still be an issue. I've had enough miserable experiences at this stage that it will make me avoid dark evening commutes for the car if there's a reasonable chance of heavyish rain, which is annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭Macy0161

nee wrote: »
    It was actually sportsdirect I saw them last year, but only one corrective lens option now when I look. But even Amazon has them. I'm not sure how they'd stand up to lane training or whatever, but if it's for in the water with the kids...
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/slp/optical-swimming-goggles/evqdeguwwbte7xr

But my sister in law got them through an optician for under €50 I think.
    Ah yeah, if I didn't have to wear the specs all the time anyway, I'd be loading up on cheap sunnies from Lidl/Aldi when doing the same for gloves :-)
    Well that's what really put me off getting the prescription glasses, after being told I really didn't need them. It's kinda handy to just use the semi-disposable options - well not disposable, but ones you don't mind throwing in a back pocket and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

nee wrote: »
    https://www.eyelidsreadingglasses.ie/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=safety&dispatch=products.search These are safety glasses with 'ready reader' plain prescriptions. I've used the bi-focal versions on the bike, main lens is plain, no correction but there's a reading correction in the bi-focal bit for looking at the gps etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent thank ye!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

my primary problem is those days when the lenses are covered in water droplets, and I think that would still be an issue. I've had enough miserable experiences at this stage that it will make me avoid dark evening commutes for the car if there's a reasonable chance of heavyish rain, which is annoying

I've prescription sports sunglasses from SpecSavers, and this is still an issue. You can wipe the outsides, but even with a snug fit between the glasses and the face, the insides get messed up too. Not sure there's much can be done beyond contacts or laser eye surgery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I wear mine the whole time, yesterday morning when i was cycling into work, the glasses seemed to have fogged up, either from the cold foggy conditions or very light mist, gave them a wipe and they were clear again, but for a bit, I couldnt see very well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

I wear contacts (daily disposable) most days and have a spare pair with me when I cycle, just in case. i couldn't cycle without glasses of some description due to the wind making my eyes water, bugs etc. My go to are photochromic and I've just gone for the Jawbreakers which are hands down the best I've tried. Also have a pair of Oakley Switch prescription with swapable lenses for normal/sunglasses. They're sport style and I wear them on the commute sometimes when my eyes need a rest. They were about 400 quid I think. Overall, contacts plus sunnies are the way for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

sullzz wrote: »
    I never cycle without glasses on, its like driving without a seatbelt, it just doesn't feel right without them.

I never cycle WITH glasses on, despite my Mr Magoo levels of vision. The main reason I wear contact lenses is for the commute cycling. Glasses were awful in rain, but the contacts clear with a blink. I've never had any hint of them being blown out at speed, despite having done some fairly significant descents 70 kmph+.

Are glasses not awful in the rain?

I never cycle WITH glasses on, despite my Mr Magoo levels of vision. The main reason I wear contact lenses is for the commute cycling. Glasses were awful in rain, but the contacts clear with a blink. I've never had any hint of them being blown out at speed, despite having done some fairly significant descents 70 kmph+.

Are glasses not awful in the rain?

Out for a spin yesterday morning and was glad of the specs. Large buzzy thing whacked into the left lens then slid off and got wedged in the helmet strap - cue some frantic tugging to (successfully) clear it. Thought I saw a flash of yellow, though couldn't swear this wasn't just my brain playing tricks on me. Yellow or no, it's one I wouldn't have wanted on the eyeball at 25km/h never mind 70. So for this I'd still rather have eye protection of some sort even if/when I get my distance vision corrected (crappy weather excepted of course for reasons above)

Advertisement