Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing a back wheel with internal hub gears

Options
  • 17-09-2017 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hey all,
    Anyone here know much about internal hub gears?
    I have a nice old bike that I used for short trips around the city.  It's currently got an internal 5-gear hub with back-pedal braking. However, it's quite old and it's hard to adjust (with 2 wires going in both sides of the hub) so constantly breaks.
    So, I want to replace it with something more reliable.
    I'm wondering a few things.
    • Do I need to buy a whole new wheel, or can I replace the hub?
    • Do they all usually come with gear levels for the handle-bar?
    • I don't see a lot of other 5-speed hubs? 3 & 7 seem popular. Also some wheels seem to say they are variable.
    I'm currently seeing things like this, and wondering if it's suitable:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Taylor-Wheels-aluminium-3-speed-coaster/dp/B00AA8T4O0/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1505604485&sr=1-1&keywords=taylor+rear+wheels+28+hub+3+speed
    Is that the typical price? Seems quite expensive.
    Any pointers appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

I suspect a new wheel would be cheaper than a rebuild as you've to replace the spokes, pay for the new hub, plus labour.

Sjs cycles stock lots of this sort of thing. I think shifters are sold separately but should be cheap.

If you ring Dara in Bee Cycles, he'll know what you should do.

Advertisement