Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canyon Ultimate AL or CF

Options
  • 08-04-2012 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey there,

I have narrowed my search for a new bike down to the following to options;

(1) Canyon Ultimate AL 9.0 or
    (2) Canyon Ultimate CF 8.0,

very similar spec on both bikes, obviously one is aluminium frame the other carbon. Ultimate CF is €400 more expensive.

I know people here have experience of both bikes and i am looking for opinions on which bike to go for, I have read reviews online and am leaning towards the AL given the price difference.

Is it worth the €400 extra for the CF?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭dooverylittle

Hey, I have a ultimate AL, I think its a beautifully balanced bike.
    Its very light and very stiff, I have other carbon bikes but I race on the canyon.
    I have never riden a CF, but i would assume it will be a bit more forgiving then the AL.
    Which ever you choose, you will have a great bike.
    No matter how good the AL is though, you will probably always see the CF as a upgrade.
    If thats the case by the CF now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 markh71

Got Canyon Ultimate AL frameset EVO frame last week and got bike built up by LBS
    Had maiden spin on Saturday and is best bike I've ever ridden..looks great too! (in my opinion)..go for Aluminium...if not racing, you can at least hook it up to trainer!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

markh71 wrote: »
    Got Canyon Ultimate AL frameset EVO frame last week and got bike built up by LBS
    Had maiden spin on Saturday and is best bike I've ever ridden..looks great too! (in my opinion)..go for Aluminium...if not racing, you can at least hook it up to trainer!

Great looking bike, great job. May I ask for a ball park figure for total bike? Will be buying soon and am torn between Carbon or a Good Aluminium frame. That seems a great option, buying frame and building up yourself, whats the specs of your build?

cheers mate!..
    frameset incl headset cap and delivery €850
    Campagnolo Veloce chainset, ergo levers, fr an rear mech, cables, chain, Campagnolo Centaur calipers - about €400
    finishing kit - ritchey wcs evo curve bars, look keo pedals, selle italia c2 gel saddle -€200
    Wheels Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL with 25-12 cassette, Continental Attack tyres about €900.00
    Build cost me €100.00, so not much change from around €2500.00
    A lot of the components bought from shinybikes.co.uk...cheapest i found for Campy gear.
    Word of advice is to order BB after frame arrives or get bike shop to do leg work on that part...Campy needs special tools for installation that cost more than the parts!
    hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

markh71 wrote: »
    cheers mate!..
    frameset incl headset cap and delivery €850
    Campagnolo Veloce chainset, ergo levers, fr an rear mech, cables, chain, Campagnolo Centaur calipers - about €400
    finishing kit - ritchey wcs evo curve bars, look keo pedals, selle italia c2 gel saddle -€200
    Wheels Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL with 25-12 cassette, Continental Attack tyres about €900.00
    Build cost me €100.00, so not much change from around €2500.00
    A lot of the components bought from shinybikes.co.uk...cheapest i found for Campy gear.
    Word of advice is to order BB after frame arrives or get bike shop to do leg work on that part...Campy needs special tools for installation that cost more than the parts!
    hope this helps!

€2500 for a top bike, that's a great option for me. What was your main reason for not getting complete bike from Canyon? Did you not like certain parts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭paulo6891

Do you mind me asking what the final weight without pedals is?

I had upgraded my old bike with the Mavic Wheels last year and they hadnt got much use....they were fitted with Campagnolo hubs/cassette, so thats why i stuck with Campy
    to be honest, so i transfered them to new frame etc after i sold old bike. (dont have room in apartment for 10month old girl AND 2 bikes!)

paulo6891 wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking what the final weight without pedals is?

Hi..comes in around the 7.2kg mark without look keo pedals

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭torydiver

Not meaning to hijack thread but also have question about canyon bikes,
    Seriously thinking about one,
    will likely be aluminium,

is there a considerable difference between the Roadlite and the Ultimate al,
    Is it worth paying the extra for the ultimate frameset,

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Ryano777

Didn't want to start a new thread (goin for either al 9.0 or 9.0sl)

Looking for advice re: size from someone with ultimate al, canyon's pps has me on a size 58, don't know how accurate this pps tool is and I'm not too clever on geometry. I have read people recommend to go a size up from this???

My measurements are height 188cm, inseam 89cm, torso 69cm, arm 69cm.

Thanks for any help!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭cyco

I'd highly recommend the ultimate Al 8. I traded up from a specialized roubaix with 6700 and 7900 mix groupset. I'm 6'3 and the 58 fits perfectly.I went with their recommendation

Advertisement