Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shiny Sun

Options
  • 22-09-2011 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

At the risk of sounding like a wack job, Has the sun shined less, say over the last 5 years than usual. The reason I ask is because, a regional nurse was out to my house today to examine my newborn child. She asked if we were told about giving the baby vitamin D, which we were not. She said the reason for taking the vitamin D was because the sun '' does not shine as much as it used to '' which is leading to kids developing bone problems.

So has the sun '' Shined less '' in the recent history:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

No that's BS!

I believe the main reason kids are not getting as much Vit D as before is because they are spending less time out in the sun and if they are out in the sun they are covered up either with clothes or sun block.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Mothman wrote: »
    No that's BS!

I believe the main reason kids are not getting as much Vit D as before is because they are spending less time out in the sun and if they are out in the sun they are covered up either with clothes or sun block.

I thought that but what difference will that have on a week old baby.

OK, we getting into the realm of medical advice which is out side the remit of boards and possibly have this thread locked if it was in Parenting.

I think it is the normal practice to give Vit D supplements as advised by the nurse. Just her reason was incorrect.

I will have a newborn in about 2 weeks :)
    We will not be giving Vit D, even if advised to for mainly 2 reasons
    The baby will be exclusively breastfed and the mother gets plenty exposure to sunlight so Vit D levels are not an issue. This is passed on through the milk.

The baby itself will also be exposed to sunlight, where practical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭fizzycyst

It's recommended that babies under 6 months are not exposed to sun light at all, I personally don't agree with this. Obviously a baby should not have prolonged exposure to the sun, but 5 mins of sun light a day will give a baby enough vitamin D for it's needs. It looks like the HSE are recommending supplements for babies, it's up to the individual what they do I suppose but remember, vitamin D is very important for the first 12 mths to promote healthy bones later in life.

Mothman wrote: »
    OK, we getting into the realm of medical advice which is out side the remit of boards and possibly have this thread locked if it was in Parenting.

I think it is the normal practice to give Vit D supplements as advised by the nurse. Just her reason was incorrect.

I will have a newborn in about 2 weeks :)
    We will not be giving Vit D, even if advised to for mainly 2 reasons
    The baby will be exclusively breastfed and the mother gets plenty exposure to sunlight so Vit D levels are not an issue. This is passed on through the milk.

The baby itself will also be exposed to sunlight, where practical.

I agree. I dont really want the Vit D discussed. I wanted the less sun shine reason explained. At the mo im saying Bullsh*t on the reason for taking the Vit D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

I don't know if it was on boards.ie I saw it or not, but there's some really good weather on the way next week. Temperatires up in the mid to high 20's, poster gave really impressive detail on maps and all that stuff. Let's hope he's correct.:cool:

Just to provide figures on sunshine in recent years.
    I'll just focus on one station Casement in west Dublin.
    Annual data in Dec monthly bulletins
    % of average is compared to 1961-90 mean.
    2010 110% All stations countrywide above average
    2009 107% All stations countrywide above average
    2008 97%
    2007 111%
    2006 111% All stations countrywide above average
    2005 98%
    2004 97% Most country above average
    2003 117% All stations countrywide above average
    2002 96%
    2001 112% All stations countrywide above average

From the figures above it can be seen that the last decade was sunnier then the 61-90 reference period.

Perhaps present this to the nurse, and then ask her for legitimate reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

This nurse sounds like a daily mail reader :D

Thanks Mothman. I have just been reading some leaflet the nurse left with us. Published by the HSE in May 2010. It does actually make sence but the way the nurse worded it seemed a bit wacko as the info you provided proves that there has not been less sunshine. Thanks for the info:)

Advertisement